Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of ditching the Mirage. Other options, or, maybe some tech advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Recirc doesn't work for defogging because you create a lot of your OWN humidity by doing things like breathing and perspiring.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Every car I have ever driven in my neck of the woods has been like this. It isn't unusual.
    How often do you have to use an ice scraper? Where I live, any moisture on the windshield is called ice.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Scotty Kilmer has spoken!!!! It's nice to know Europeans watch Scotty on youtube!

The bottom line is A/C helps clear inside fog on windshields. I don't know if anyone is arguing that? Some cars sold in northern climates don't come with A/C, however. I can drive for months in the winter and never really need A/C to clear the inside of my windshield. On cold damp early spring/late fall days, I find myself using A/C to clear the windshield (especially while driving in the rain).

The past two days, I've been dealing with freezing rain. The only way to deal with that is to get the windshield as warm as possible as fast you can. I had rain freezing to my windshield the first mile from my home this morning. It was enough of a problem that we had a 2-hour late start for school. About a mile later, the wiper were able to take care of it all. For a small car, I feel it has a very adequate heater. It does much better than my old 1990 Ford Festiva. I find myself turning the heat down in the Mirage. In the old Festiva, I don't remember ever getting that warm!

If my memory serves me right, Scotty lives in the southern part of the United States. I am not surprised the A/C get more use not only for hot summer days, but also for clearing fog on windshields.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-16-2019 at 02:06 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (01-17-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    If my memory serves me right, Scotty lives in the southern part of the United States. I am not surprised the A/C get more use not only for hot summer days, but also for clearing fog on windshields.[/QUOTE]

Texas

love Scotty Kilmer videos all though he does mention Toyota a lot in his youtube videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    love Scotty Kilmer videos all though he does mention Toyota a lot in his youtube videos
    If everyone followed Scotty's advice, we would all be driving Lexus & Toyota vehicles. Even he's aware of his bias, because he will occasionally remind us that he doesn't work for those two companies (which are one in the same by the way).

I find Scotty to be somewhat funny, but I can't say that I agree with everything that comes out of his mouth!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If everyone followed Scotty's advice, we would all be driving Lexus & Toyota vehicles. Even he's aware of his bias, because he will occasionally remind us that he doesn't work for those two companies (which are one in the same by the way).

I find Scotty to be somewhat funny, but I can't say that I agree with everything that comes out of his mouth!
    Honda is another one he mentions alot

I had a Toyota Iq that was reliable but was always being recalled for some reason then when i had a car service they left a hammer in the engine bay

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a little confused on how to demist with climate control during summer rains. So its about 70 degrees in the cabin and 65 outside and raining. If I use the defrost button it clears everything but its only for warm air right? It works but I don't want my car to heat up during an already warm day. If I click mode button until the little defrost plus down arrow pops up then the side windows aren't fogging but the windshield is fogging up.

not really sure how what temp air I should be using in this situation other than the defrost button at like 65-67 degrees.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Raise your temperature setting. Try 72° - 75°F. Leave it in Auto with A/C compressor on (the snowflake symbol will show on the display when the A/C compressor is in use.)
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-09-2020 at 09:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (06-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I'm a little confused on how to demist with climate control during summer rains. So its about 70 degrees in the cabin and 65 outside and raining. If I use the defrost button it clears everything but its only for warm air right? It works but I don't want my car to heat up during an already warm day. If I click mode button until the little defrost plus down arrow pops up then the side windows aren't fogging but the windshield is fogging up.

not really sure how what temp air I should be using in this situation other than the defrost button at like 65-67 degrees.
    I have factory Ventshades on the windows, which help a LOT with this. Crack all four windows two inches, set to defrost, turn AC off, temp to 70 degrees, fan speed at about 3-4. Your windows won't fog even if it is pouring outside and you have ten steaming pizzas in your car. Ask me how I know.

Ventshades are mandatory in our area for just this reason, IMHO.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (06-11-2020)