Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 2016 Alloy's, vs old steelies: been 1 week compare

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

My new 2016 Alloy's, vs old steelies: been 1 week compare

Hi Mirage Forum people, I've had my new alloys on my Mirage for about a week now.

All things considered, ride and handling etc. feels the same on my new alloys as it did with my original steelies. You might say that the alloys has made my car's ride a tad firmer or like stiffer. It could be the tire pressure too.

So one week with my new alloys, and I'm happy to report that I managed to get 4.3 L / 100 km's this week without even trying, so that's like over 50 mpg's. I always say that as long as my Mirage drives straight, and gets me good fuel economy, that's the main things.

I've been scraping off a lot of gunk off the "new" 2016 alloys with my finger nail. Now that my old steelies are off my car, you can really see the wear on my old tires and my old '14 steel rims. Wow, my old Bridgestones are in way worse shape than I thought.. same goes for my original steelies from 2014..bad shape.

That all said, I kept my old tires and rims. I might even sell them, not too sure.. I know some people have shown interest on the Forum. They're in my carport.

Extensive tire wear... not even road worthy.. so that's about 3 years' use, *generally* gentle driver, and around 23,000 km's a year of driving.

For me as a Mirage owner then, tires have lasted around 50,000 km's on my Mirage. I just keep then a bit too long each time, so 135,000 km's on my OD, and now on my 3rd set of tires.

Name:  new rims 9.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  50.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    After cleaning up my new rims a bunch.
    Name:  new mirage rims.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  56.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-13-2020),Fummins (06-12-2020),Mark (06-12-2020),Marklovski (06-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    You really take care of your Mirage. I can see that car lasting you a long time. Bravo!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I'd keep the steelies for winter. I wish I had another set of wheels. I'm to cheap to buy new and too lazy to go look for some at the wrecker. Work doesn't want to sell any extras cause they will all get used eventually. I've been too busy to swap my summer tires back on the car. Maybe next week...

Did you get 4.3l/100km displayed on the dash or.....? The best mine has shown was 4.6l/100km a handful of times once I get to work in the am. I reset the one in my dually while cruising at 100 km/h and it showed 28mpg lol.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Wow, my old Bridgestones are in way worse shape than I thought.. same goes for my original steelies from 2014..bad shape.

That all said, I kept my old tires and rims. I might even sell them, not too sure.. I know some people have shown interest on the Forum. They're in my carport.

Extensive tire wear... not even road worthy.. so that's about 3 years' use, *generally* gentle driver, and around 23,000 km's a year of driving.

For me as a Mirage owner then, tires have lasted around 50,000 km's on my Mirage. I just keep then a bit too long each time, so 135,000 km's on my OD, and now on my 3rd set of tires.
    Bridgestone Potenza RE92 have a UTQG rating of 260AB. If you got 50,000 km (approximately 31,000 miles) out of them, that would seem about right to me.

Just for comparison of some other 165/65r14 tire choices -
    Dunlop Enasaves = 340AB
    Federal SS657 = 420AA
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 = 460AA

This is why someone like Steve has done so well (70,000+ miles) with a tire like the Falken Sincera SN250, which has a 720AA rating.

These ratings can be very inconsistent, however. If someone is not familiar with "UTQG", I looked up a definition below -

"UTQG" stands for "Uniform Tire Quality Grading". A system developed by the Department of Transportation, which helps consumers compare and rate tires on tread wear, traction, and temperature. Example: a tire with a UTQG of 400 AB. The 400 is tread wear which represents the tire's comparative wear when measured against the governments mandated tire, which is rated at 100. So the tire rated at 400 would wear four times longer than the government's mandated tire. However, please don't link treadwear grades with your projected tire mileage. The relative performance of tires depends upon the actual conditions of their use and may vary due to driving habits, service practices, differences in road characteristics and climate.

Traction and Temperature ratings are rated (A) superior, (B) good and (C) average. Traction represents the level of grip the tire possesses.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After cleaning up my new rims a bunch.
    Name:  new mirage rims.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  56.4 KB
    Your Mirage looks good with the alloy wheels, & your car does look really good for a 2014. All that Krown rust proofing has been worth it!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've definitely tried to keep up on maintenance. I hope my Mirage lasts me a long time yet!

The lowest mpg figure I've gotten on the dash readout is 4.2 L / 100 km's, that was not long after buying my car, up in Upper Peninsula Michigan vacation, on the macinac bridge.

I'm back to Dunlops for a while yet, and I will keep my steelies for the winter. Winter tire is what I need to start thinking about next for my Mirage.

The paint has held up well, and I haven't really done anything wax-wise or otherwise, other than wash it once or twice a month with basic car wash I bought at canadian tire.

The one's I ordered from quattro worked pretty good. Same size as Dirk's I think? I honestly can't remember....They still have tons of tread left, probably get another 2-3 winters out of them I'd guess? They
    aren't studded but are way better than stockers. I prefer skinny winter tires especially when the roads are covered in thick wet slushy snow. Skinny tires cut through it while fatties are more likely to hydroplane. My favorite part of winter is watching people loose control changing lanes quickly on the freeway, then crapping their pants when they're doing 360's.

On the work cars we run some stock size dunlops wintermax's that were thrown in when the cars were bought new. Some drivers hate them and others love them. For the rest we use 185/65 14? sailun Iceblazer, and some drivers love these compared to the wintermax. They wear ok, have a harder compound and are stud-able.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've definitely tried to keep up on maintenance. I hope my Mirage lasts me a long time yet!

The lowest mpg figure I've gotten on the dash readout is 4.2 L / 100 km's, that was not long after buying my car, up in Upper Peninsula Michigan vacation, on the macinac bridge.

I'm back to Dunlops for a while yet, and I will keep my steelies for the winter. Winter tire is what I need to start thinking about next for my Mirage.

The paint has held up well, and I haven't really done anything wax-wise or otherwise, other than wash it once or twice a month with basic car wash I bought at canadian tire.
    I've been experimenting with 165/65r14 tires. I have 4 different pairs of tires for my Mirage now. I am near 36,000 miles on my Mirage.

Dunlop Enasaves - These are up front this summer. I haven't used them the past two winters.

Federal SS657 - These are on the rear of my Mirage this summer. They have been on my Mirage since losing an Enasave (sidewall issue) @ 15,000 miles. Thus, they have 21,000 miles on them. They have been used up front for the previous two summers & in the rear during the winter months. They seem to be doing ok so far.

Nokian Nordman 7 non-studded (studs are not legal in Wisconsin or neighboring states) - I have used these tires the past 3 winters. I like two things about these tires. They seem to be wearing very well up front, & they are a decent LRR winter tire. Even though they are directional snow tires (that prevents normal tire rotations), I am planning to get around that. I have cloned new sensors for this pair of tires recently, because they had none. I am going to have the tires switched on the rims when the new sensors are added. Thus, they will be on the opposite side of my Mirage for the remainder of their tire life.

NEXEN N'PRIZ AH5 - I bought an extra set of steel rims recently from a fine young man we all call "Dirk" on the forum. I am planning to put the new Nexen tires on those rims. I got the pair for about $100 with free-shipping. My first impression of them is that they don't look all that different from the Federal tires, but they do have a higher UTQG rating. My plan is to use these new tires on the rear during the winter months. When I feel the original Enasave tires are done with, these tires will take their place in the summer rotation.

Next addition to my tire experiment -

Vredestein Quatrac 4 - I will most likely replace the Enasave tires with a pair of the Vredestein. I want to see how they do in the winter especially. I figure by that time my Nokian snow tires will be more worn down. I will use them on the rear for a couple winters and test out the Quatrac 4 up front for a couple winters. If the Quatrac 4 tires do well in the winter & summer, I may go with them in the future. Like I said, I am experimenting. It's good thing 165/65r14 tires aren't that common! I can only check out so many tires that way.

I do climb a shaded section of winter ridge roads to get home, & I do value traction up front over anything during the winter months. I have always used multiple sets of tires on FWD vehicles where I live. I use newer tires up front during the winter months, & I like to use up older tires during the summer months. Having some extra rims allows me to do that. Thus, steel rims work just fine for someone like me. It's also why the introduction of TPMS somewhat annoys me. It complicates all that. My new Autel TS408 tool with reprogrammable sensors will help in that area.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-12-2020 at 10:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-12-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The one's I ordered from quattro worked pretty good. Same size as Dirk's I think? I honestly can't remember....They still have tons of tread left, probably get another 2-3 winters out of them I'd guess? They
    aren't studded but are way better than stockers. I prefer skinny winter tires especially when the roads are covered in thick wet slushy snow. Skinny tires cut through it while fatties are more likely to hydroplane. My favorite part of winter is watching people loose control changing lanes quickly on the freeway, then crapping their pants when they're doing 360's.

On the work cars we run some stock size dunlops wintermax's that were thrown in when the cars were bought new. Some drivers hate them and others love them. For the rest we use 185/65 14? sailun Iceblazer, and some drivers love these compared to the wintermax. They wear ok, have a harder compound and are stud-able.
    Yeah I'm running Barum Brillantis2 on both the hatch and G4. Great cheap tire. I've put about 5k miles on mine and the tread depth hasn't hardly changed. Downside with everyone in Atlanta doing at least 75 mpg and having their AC on I'm only avg 38 mpg combined. I'm cool with that though just on the pothole absorption alone. My old 165s Potenzas felt like they were going to burst everytime I hit one. The meat on the Barums is substantial and offers a lil better impact protection IMO.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-13-2020),Mark (06-13-2020)