Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of ditching the Mirage. Other options, or, maybe some tech advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I have zero problems with my car windshield fogging up in winter, and I never use a/c in the winter. Even with my bum heater core, I didn't have THAT big of a deal with fogging.

Do you warm your car up? Does that help?

I'm thinking you may have a problem like a leak somewhere that is raising interior humidity somehow. Nobody else has had this issue, even our guy up in Thunder Bay.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-10-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post

Yeah, I have to squeegee em, max air max heat on windshield, and with heaps of snow on the floor and 2 people and possibly some pets in the car, it fogs like crazy.

Max Air as in fan speed?? Max AC is recirc. Do not use recirc. Also how is your cabin air filter?? If it's plugged it will cause this...
    Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So, running max heat, on the front window, with windows open a crack leads to a lot of snow in the car but an acceptable reduction in fog.

That combined with vent shades and the squeegee should do it
    Last edited by nickels; 01-09-2019 at 01:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    That's not how thermodynamics works.
    Under normal circumstances, putting hot air on a cold surface will result in condensation. This is how it works in my 2014 Mirage. When my windshield fogs up in the winter, I have to put cold air on it to clear the windshield up.

I can't explain it, but I've found that different models of cars act differently. For example, on some cars you can turn on the heat and a windshield will clear up. If I remember correctly, that is how both of my parent's Toyotas work. My guess is there is either a magic coating on the windshield or the vents are programmed to blow cool air, regardless of what you set them to. I don't know. I am just guessing.

What I do know is how condensation works and that my 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage follows the laws of physics/condensation. Putting heat on the windshield of my 2014 Mirage just makes things worse.

I only put heat on my windshield during the rare times when we have a freeze in Louisiana and I need to thaw out my car for my morning drive. Once the windshield is thawed out, it gets cool air to clear it up so I can see.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From what I remember, when we had -10°F to -30°F temps (in Minnesota), it was only during small roads with lots of red lights/low speeds(during rush hour commuting to work), the car would have trouble de-fogging the 2 rear windows. The windshield would be partially fogged but it wasn't totally covered but beginning to be. This only happened to me during extremely cold weather during slow commutes(major traffic, average speed within 2 miles was 5-10mph stop and go).

I know it's not a Mirage climate control but the image below is what I have it on 99% of the time.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 8.54.28 AM.png
Views: 754
Size:  12.4 KB
    I had my air blasted to maybe the 5th-6th bar during -10°F to -30°F temps.

Also, during frigid temps, I 'warm-up' the car for roughly 4-5 minutes with the heat to the max (89°F) on gauge, with the vent blowing at its max. From what I noticed, when it's between -10°F to -30°F, condensation builds up faster if you're in the car warming it up, doing lots of stop and go from traffic. Foggy windshield tends to go away if you're constantly driving as the engine is constantly moving the heat throughout. That's just my experience with dealing with frigid cold and a foggy windshield. I hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    If the car is parked out in the cold all night, and I want to leave in the morning, the outside temperature will have already become ever so slightly warmer than the cold car. That will cause it to fog up real quick, because the windshield is colder than everything else.

A possible remedy is to set the blower onto the windshield full blast, and drive the first minute or two with the side windows down. That way, you can actually see something, and it will stop fogging up within two minutes while you close the windows. This is well proven!

Another possible remedy would be to park in a closed garage. Even if unheated, the car and windshield will be slightly warmer than the outside air, hence no fogging up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I love remote troubleshooting by committee. This forum is great for it.

I'm thinking of two things:
    1. Interior humidity.
    Keep the snow outside.
    2. Coolant temperature.
    Are you using a grill block? At least monitor your coolant temperature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cars with AC automatically run it when you put defrost on and I've noticed if I turn off the ac and keep defrost on it sometimes wont clear it like it does with the ac on too.

I would also mirror what others said about not using a recirculation mode. Only new fresh air

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Cars with AC automatically run it when you put defrost on and I've noticed if I turn off the ac and keep defrost on it sometimes wont clear it like it does with the ac on too.
    Not all cars automatically have the A/C come on when you turn on full defrost, but some definitely do. My 2017 Mirage ES with manual temperature controls does not do that. The A/C will never come on unless you turn it on (push round A/C button) regardless of what you do. I like it that way by the way!

I do drive other vehicles that turn on the A/C automatically. My 2015 Chevy Impala driver's education car turns on automatically even though it has manual temperature controls. My 2000 Honda CRV's A/C came on automatically with full defrost turned on, too. I've never owned a vehicle with automatic climate controls, but some manual temperature controls do this & others do not. The 2017 Mirage ES trim levels got manual controls, & the A/C does not come on for defrost automatically. I double checked while driving home tonight, too. Running A/C with defrost will, however, clear a windshield faster. Especially if the car has had a chance to warm up some.

I seldom use A/C, especially in the winter. I do turn it on at times, however. I've always heard it's good to run your A/C unit, & not let it sit unused for long periods of time. Otherwise, the seals and such will dry out. Thus, I make sure to run it a little bit every couple weeks even during the winter months. Not sure it makes a difference, but I also haven't had many A/C problems. Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post

I would also mirror what others said about not using a recirculation mode. Only new fresh air
    Thank you. It really boggles my mind how people don't seem to understand that putting hot air on a cold piece of glass will cause condensation. I'll keep my comments to myself about a certain guru who has only driven his car enough to change the oil just one time. He can blow hot air on his windshield all he wants.