Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
Thank you. It really boggles my mind how people don't seem to understand that putting hot air on a cold piece of glass will cause condensation. I'll keep my comments to myself about a certain guru who has only driven his car enough to change the oil just one time. He can blow hot air on his windshield all he wants.
Steve - I totally agree that using the A/C with your defrost does help clear your window faster. I especially find that helpful under cold wet conditions. In a southern climate, I would expect you find yourself doing that all the time. It can be especially helpful during fog like conditions, too. As a matter of fact, it's the best/fastest way to clear a windshield by far.

Please don't lose sight of the original post here - some of our Canadian friends to the north don't have A/C. A/C is not standard on all trim levels in Canada. If a car doesn't have A/C & I am just pulling cold wet damp air from outside, it may not have the same results.

I checked my weather app. Your windshield won't be below freezing this week. I am about to go to bed, and my windshield is already 20 degrees below freezing. I can go months without using my A/C. I just hold my breath until the car warms up. Just kidding of course!

I don't crank the defrost until the engine warms up. I usually wait until the cold water temperature dash light disappears (a couple miles down the road), and then turn up the heat & fan. I find this works good enough. I seldom see the need for A/C during our winter months. I only find myself using the A/C to clear the windshield during the wet damp days. There is a reason some cars have the A/C come on automatically, however, because it does help.

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this thread was started by someone who is frustrated by not having A/C. Given that fact, suggestions/solutions may vary. A/C does zap some of the power of these small cars. I don't use A/C any more than I have, too! At the same time, I am really glad to have it sometimes.

P.S. - You get free oil changes! That other guy has done 1 more oil change than you!

It's fun to hear people various opinions!