Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of ditching the Mirage. Other options, or, maybe some tech advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Thank you. It really boggles my mind how people don't seem to understand that putting hot air on a cold piece of glass will cause condensation. I'll keep my comments to myself about a certain guru who has only driven his car enough to change the oil just one time. He can blow hot air on his windshield all he wants.
    Steve - I totally agree that using the A/C with your defrost does help clear your window faster. I especially find that helpful under cold wet conditions. In a southern climate, I would expect you find yourself doing that all the time. It can be especially helpful during fog like conditions, too. As a matter of fact, it's the best/fastest way to clear a windshield by far.

Please don't lose sight of the original post here - some of our Canadian friends to the north don't have A/C. A/C is not standard on all trim levels in Canada. If a car doesn't have A/C & I am just pulling cold wet damp air from outside, it may not have the same results.

I checked my weather app. Your windshield won't be below freezing this week. I am about to go to bed, and my windshield is already 20 degrees below freezing. I can go months without using my A/C. I just hold my breath until the car warms up. Just kidding of course!

I don't crank the defrost until the engine warms up. I usually wait until the cold water temperature dash light disappears (a couple miles down the road), and then turn up the heat & fan. I find this works good enough. I seldom see the need for A/C during our winter months. I only find myself using the A/C to clear the windshield during the wet damp days. There is a reason some cars have the A/C come on automatically, however, because it does help.

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this thread was started by someone who is frustrated by not having A/C. Given that fact, suggestions/solutions may vary. A/C does zap some of the power of these small cars. I don't use A/C any more than I have, too! At the same time, I am really glad to have it sometimes.

P.S. - You get free oil changes! That other guy has done 1 more oil change than you!

It's fun to hear people various opinions!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally I don't run the ac to defrost/ defogger the car. Mine has a/c but the manual controls. So I just keep the a/c off.
    I agree with the posts about weathertech or similar floor mats and keeping as much snow and water out of the car as possible.
    That alone can make a big difference.
    I keep a ratty sponge on the passengers side to "bail" excess water from mats to outside from time to time.
    I keep the two smaller dash vents nearest the doors pointed at the side windows, not people..
    I still get side window fogging but it helps,
    Also do you have a block heater. I use one on a timer. Kicks on about 2 hr before I leave.
    It helps too.. not much cash - easy install. Cheep option to try.
    I believe top fuel did a nice write up on install,
    Oh my defrost setting is windshield floor, max heat to start then dialed back for comfort. Fan at 2 or 3.
    Usually I just unplug car and go. This morning was teens to 20's with a good 8-12" of fresh snow..
    Plowing with the mirage ,,, if I gotta get up why don't the plows????

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-10-2019),poorman1 (01-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Plowing with the mirage ,,, if I gotta get up why don't the plows????
    Great quote.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    From glassdoctor.com: The Fastest Way to Defrost Your Car Windows

Defog & Defrost Car Windows Fast with these Science-Based Tips:

1) Turn your heater on.
    Start your engine, and using the defroster setting, crank the heater up all the way to absorb excess moisture within your vehicle. Remember: Hot air can hold more moisture.

2) Press the A/C button.
    This may sound counterintuitive to the whole heater thing, but really what you’re doing is activating a setting on your car’s A/C system that helps dry the air within the cab faster with the help of the coils in your A/C system.

3) Turn air recirculation off.
    You need fresh air to enter the car as well. Winter air is cold, and as it does not hold much moisture, it is dry. Bringing it into your car ups absorption capacity to more quickly dry the saturated air trapped within.

4) Crack your windows.
    This helps exchange the humid air in your car with dryer outside air, speeding up the process.

5) Defrost Windows.
    While the above defogging action is taking place, de-frost your windows. This is an entirely separate process that should NEVER (EVER) include hot water. Defrosting quickly takes a minor amount of pre-planning, but saves a snow-capped mountain of headache later. If you can’t stand scraping, put together a simple solution of 2/3 cup Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol and 1/3 cup water, pouring the mixture into a spray bottle. This solution will not freeze (rubbing alcohol has a freezing point of 138 degrees below freezing), and can be stored easily in your car, allowing you to easily spray away windshield ice wherever you’re stranded.
    If you try all those things and are still having problems, I would say you have some problem where the interior moisture is too great for whatever reason. Weather it be that steaming up of coffee, or a water leak that is soaking your carpet, or something else.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I feel there is a weird argument brewing here.

Steve you realize that by warming the windshield, you raise its dew point right? Cold is bad. Cold is what causes fog. Cold is what causes moisture to settle.

Anyway, as I may or may not have mentioned, max heat, windows cracked is the ticket.

Heat raises the dew point or the condensation point on the glass, as well hot air moves water way the hell faster than cool air.
    Windows cracked allows dry cold air to replace the warm moist air the humans create inside. Less total humidity, less chance of issues.

Tada. Thanks to all.
    Last edited by nickels; 01-10-2019 at 03:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, maybe he doesn't know we have different weather, it gets cold here. Like colder than +11C in the winter lol.

I haven't had something without ac in years, you might be able to hit up a wrecker and add ac yourself but probably not worth the time and effort. Maybe throw an electric heater on the dash and stock up on those moisture removal packs for RV's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I feel there is a weird argument brewing here.

Steve you realize that by warming the windshield, you raise its dew point right? Cold is bad. Cold is what causes fog. Cold is what causes moisture to settle.

Anyway, as I may or may not have mentioned, max heat, windows cracked is the ticket.

Heat raises the dew point or the condensation point on the glass, as well hot air moves water way the hell faster than cool air.
    Windows cracked allows dry cold air to replace the warm moist air the humans create inside. Less total humidity, less chance of issues.

Tada. Thanks to all.
    Just do the opposite of whatever I do and you will be fine.

Edit: I forgot to mention one thing. Running the AC is a nice way to remove humidity from your car as well if that is your concern. Ever notice that water puddle under the car after running the AC? Thats moisture pulled out of the car thanks to the evaporator.

End of my rant. Just do the opposite of what I do and you will be fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Just do the opposite of whatever I do and you will be fine.

Edit: I forgot to mention one thing. Running the AC is a nice way to remove humidity from your car as well if that is your concern. Ever notice that water puddle under the car after running the AC? Thats moisture pulled out of the car thanks to the evaporator.

End of my rant. Just do the opposite of what I do and you will be fine.
    You do realize he doesn't have A/C right?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    You do realize he doesn't have A/C right?
    Yep. I believe he mentioned that in his first post.

I was telling everyone else to just do the opposite of what I do.

That's probably the best advice I've read on here so far

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-11-2019),Pryme (01-12-2019)