Thread: Rocker moulding falling off

Rocker moulding falling off

I had a driver complain about the rocker moulding coming loose. Sure enough it was starting to drop behind the front rh wheel. I didn't have time to deal with it right away and it wouldn't clip back in place so I left it for a few days. Then it got worse so I pulled the entire thing off. I didn't take pics cause it was dark and -20c/-4f. They aren't attatched all that great, 2 sided tape along the top edge and clips going straight up into the bottom. This car has 110xxxkms/68kmiles.

This is probably caused by drivers kicking ice off the mouldings as I've only seen this on a few cars so far. Can't make everything idiot proof, they'll just invent a better idiot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (01-10-2019),Daox (01-10-2019),Grumpy Bear (02-04-2024),Marklovski (01-12-2019),MetroMPG (01-28-2019),poorman1 (03-31-2019),Top_Fuel (01-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    I always wondered if there was anything other than 2-sided tape holding those things on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last time I jacked my car up, I was half-way thinking about how hard they would be to remove, what the car would look like without them, and... of course... how much do they weigh?

Ultimately decided that those plastic bits plus all of the plastic underpanels probably add up to about 2 pounds. Not worth pursuing.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Attachment 13588Attachment 13589 There are supposed to be 6 clips and 3 screws holding it on. 2 clips must be stuck on the car still. I didn't even notice the 3 screws til just now. They screw into white clips that sit in the body. They just pulled right out with a good yank. The 2 sided tape is a joke it's less than 1/4" wide strip, once it comes loose it'll fill up with road salt and crap. I'd probably take them off and toss em and plug the holes if we lived in the rust belt.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-10-2019 at 02:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This is probably caused by drivers kicking ice off the mouldings as I've only seen this on a few cars so far. Can't make everything idiot proof, they'll just invent a better idiot.
    This idiot just kicked his loose, too. Saved me a trip under the ramps to see how to fix.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-21-2019)

Now almost every car I look at is starting to come loose. I guess having a few lbs of ice, snow and dirt hanging off them doesn't help either.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Fummins aka Captain Fantastic aka Gandalf the mech Wizard of the 5 Ishtari of the Simillarion. I come fourth bearing a question.
    The rocker moulding failing off, how would it affect the vehicle?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Don't blame the victim. I just purchased a 2024 Mirage and, as we were about to leave the lot, the dealer pointed out that the trim above the rear wheels was loose. He said they would fix it the next time we came in.