Thread: Exhaust systems between 1.0 and 1.2

Country
    Scotland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exhaust systems between 1.0 and 1.2

My 2013 Mirage 1 1.0 failed it's MOT on emissions. The garage reckon it requires a new catalytic converter.

Mitsubishi are charging a fortune for a catalytic converter but I've seen a second hand full exhaust system at a scrapyard for a fraction of the price, however, it's off a 2013 1.2 Mirage. Will this fit?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

IF they look the same I'd give it a go.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeUK View Post
    My 2013 Mirage 1 1.0 failed it's MOT on emissions. The garage reckon it requires a new catalytic converter.

Mitsubishi are charging a fortune for a catalytic converter but I've seen a second hand full exhaust system at a scrapyard for a fraction of the price, however, it's off a 2013 1.2 Mirage. Will this fit?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Most likely yes. The 1.0 is the same motor block as the 1.2 so any exhaust for the 1.2 "should" bolt right on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Do they give you a gas analyzer printout (CO, HC, CO2, O2, NOx) when it fails? Here in the US, the guys working at the emissions testing centers usually don't necessarily know a lot. So blindly taking the advice of these guys (in the US) would not be a great idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Gotta love the internet.....
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Is the "check engine" light on? If the car doesn't burn oil, doesn't smoke and doesn't misfire, probably the cat is still OK but just dirty inside. Happens if it were driven mainly short distances. It might make MOT if it were simply cleaned. There are plenty of products for that purpose, you would need to do it a few times. Give it a go, bloody cheaper than a new one. When you think its ready, you could put half a liter of acetone in a half full tank of petrol, take it for a quick half hour spin on the motorway, and then take the warmed up car directly to MOT.

There are plenty of companies that cut a used cat assy apart and replace the actual cat with a new piece. Most of those aftermarket cats come fron the UK. Thats also exceedingly cheaper than a new one!

AFAIK, the 2013 1.2 cat should be exactly the same as the 2013 1.0 variety. You could send me a PM with the VIN of both cars, and I could look it up.
    Last edited by foama; 10-06-2020 at 08:37 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So blindly taking the advice of these guys (in the US) would not be a great idea.
    Take your own advice.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How in the hell does an eco car like a 7 year old 1.0 Mirage fail inspections?!? Jeez that was the one thing I thought we'd never have to worry about? Im scared to ask what Mitsu wanted for a replacement? Probably $3k.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Mitsu cat is $862! Well at least thats cheaper than the failed cat on my old Outback. That was $1600!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Here's my question. Do most shops warranty the parts they put in? Forcing us to go to a tree shade mechanic to put in a Rock auto part?