Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: And Another CVT problem.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Ah yes, I remember when I was so young and full of hope.

I have the same commute (120 miles) with the same speeds (70-80mph), and now a lump of steel where a functioning CVT used to be. And it basically went from good to uh-oh in the space of a week, and then limped on for a couple more months because I'm brave.

If you hit 200,000 miles, you will be the highest mileage CVT on here. As of now the highest is/was shy of 192,000 miles. Mine was at 175,000 miles. Best of luck.

@Fummins: I haven't sourced one yet, I'm a little reluctant until this weather clears up. My garage isn't heated. Brrr.
    281000 Km (175k mi) is pretty darn good for a CVT from what I can tell... specially considering I've seen regular 3-4 speed automatics die much sooner than that.... looking at you Ford/FCA products!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-21-2019),Rockabilly Manta (02-17-2019),Tyrelirwin (02-16-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    281000 Km (175k mi) is pretty darn good for a CVT from what I can tell... specially considering I've seen regular 3-4 speed automatics die much sooner than that.... looking at you Ford/FCA products!
    Not to mentione I crammed all that mileage on in under 5 years. I've heard worse from Nissan Jatco's, too. (Rogue)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (02-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess it's still running after the stealership replaced the fluid. Hope it craps out within warranty lol

I'm replacing an 18' Nissan cvt right now. Turns out a rock took out the transmission oil cooler that sits down low right behind the opening in the bumper. Lost all the fluid, burnt up the cvt. The cooler and condenser are pelted to shat, they must be tailgating semi's and gravel trucks on the highway like idiots to do that kinda damage to a new vehicle in 6 months. I gotta come up with a fix for that now, expanded metal grille behind the bumper maybe.
    Why does a 18 Nissan need a new cvt? Yikes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They don't like to be ran outta oil to the point that they go into limp mode then driven til they won't go anymore. Shoulda replaced the cooler before sending it to the dealer but that's kinda unethical and I didn't have or forethought or time to do it.

These things don't seem to be as tough as old junk. I once had a 79 ford with a c6 that needed a torque seal. I just bought a 5 gallon pail of atf and drove it til it stopped moving, fill it up and keep going. Only did that for a few days. That thing lasted another 15 years that I know of, probably longer.
    Yeah old stuff was built with much better and thicker steel. And a C6 is very stout for an old transmission plus very basic.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

These things don't seem to be as tough as old junk. I once had a 79 ford with a c6 that needed a torque seal. I just bought a 5 gallon pail of atf and drove it til it stopped moving, fill it up and keep going. Only did that for a few days. That thing lasted another 15 years that I know of, probably longer.
    I had an old Plymouth Sattelite & broke a tranny cooler line. Borrowed some fuel line from a farmer. filled it with water & drove it for a week like that before fixing. I sold it 2 years later & it was still working.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (02-23-2019)

Who needs oil?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (03-20-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Your experience could be considered evidence, that the Mirage design is more suited to the CVT7 than Nissan's? 175k miles is my goal for my CVT and I only drive 7000k miles a year on average. Thanks for the post!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your experience could be considered evidence, that the Mirage design is more suited to the CVT7 than Nissan's? 175k miles is my goal for my CVT and I only drive 7000k miles a year on average. Thanks for the post!
    175,000 - 45,000 (@purchase) = 130,000 miles/7000 mi/yr. = 18.6 years

2019 +18 years = You have nothing to worry about until the year 2037 then.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-20-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The Mitsu dealership mechanic I spoke with was very fourth coming about the capability of the CVT7. He stressed besides proper fluid changes, to drive it slooooooow. Grandma slow and to think of the eco light as more than just a good mpg indicator. But to also think of it as a signal that neither the engine nor cvt are being over taxed. I was took aback of course, expecting a little more enthusiasm of Mitsu design, but he was honest. And I took it to mind.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The Mitsu dealership mechanic I spoke with was very fourth coming about the capability of the CVT7. He stressed besides proper fluid changes, to drive it slooooooow. Grandma slow and to think of the eco light as more than just a good mpg indicator. But to also think of it as a signal that neither the engine nor cvt are being over taxed. I was took aback of course, expecting a little more enthusiasm of Mitsu design, but he was honest. And I took it to mind.
    Did you ask him how many Mirage CVTs he's replaced?

There are a number of vehicles (across many different brands) out there that are prone to have transmission issues. I don't think the Mirage is considered one of them. People can be honest & clueless at the same time.

According to figures I have seen, 80% of vehicles in Europe & Japan are manuals. I really dislike the direction the U.S. market has gone in the last 10-15 years, & the disappearance of manuals is a part that I dislike the most.

I read a comment the other day, where a person was describing his mom's Nissan Rogue. It had 160,000 miles on it, but it was on its 6th CVT. If that's true, I would be inspired to learn how to drive a manual!