Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: And Another CVT problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    I would think the faster freeway speed would help act as a supplemental fan.
    Nissan TSB NTB13-095c describes potential high-temperature CVT fluid situations as follows:

1. High RPM and/or high speed driving (4000+ RPMs, and/or 65 MPH or more for 1.0 – 1.5 hours)
    2. Driving in ambient temperatures of 96 degrees or higher
    3. Climbing steep or extended hills for 6 miles or more

Higher RPM/freeway driving is what heats up CVT fluid because it represents an extended condition of continuous high engine torque operating the drive belt.

A CVT temperature gauge would be a good idea. There's no sense installing an external cooler unless you know your CVT fluid is running hot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I don't think this one is overheating. If it is it's because it's screwed.

Slow flashing(1 flash every 2 seconds)=cvt problem.

Quick flash(1 flash every second)=cvt fluid too hot.

"If a malfunction occurs in the CVT system, any of "R", "N", "D", "B" or "A" on the selector lever position indicator in the multi-information display will be flashed (one flash per two seconds).
    NOTE:
    The selector lever position indicator "P" does not flash when a malfunction occurs in the CVT system.
    When the system is normal, the selector lever position indicator "A" is not displayed. Only when a malfunction occurs in the transmission range switch, the indicator will flash.
    If the selector lever position indicator flashes rapidly (one flash per one second), the transmission fluid temperature is too high. [Flashes when the fluid temperature is approximately 137C (279F) or higher, and stops flashing (remains illuminated) automatically when the fluid temperature drops below approximately 132C (270F).]
    NOTE:
    These transmission fluid temperatures, at which the indicator flashes or remains illuminated, are indication values on the scan tool (M.U.T.-III)."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-12-2021),Top_Fuel (04-12-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Nissan TSB NTB13-095c describes potential high-temperature CVT fluid situations as follows:

1. High RPM and/or high speed driving (4000+ RPMs, and/or 65 MPH or more for 1.0 – 1.5 hours)
    2. Driving in ambient temperatures of 96 degrees or higher
    3. Climbing steep or extended hills for 6 miles or more

Higher RPM/freeway driving is what heats up CVT fluid because it represents an extended condition of continuous high engine torque operating the drive belt.

A CVT temperature gauge would be a good idea. There's no sense installing an external cooler unless you know your CVT fluid is running hot.
    What about doing 75 mph @ 3500 rpms for 5 hours? Because that's what I did yesterday. Am I damaging our Mirages everytime I go on a roadtrip?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What about doing 75 mph @ 3500 rpms for 5 hours?
    Am I damaging our Mirages everytime I go on a roadtrip?
    You're probably OK...but it would be interesting to see what your CVT temps are under those conditions.

Now, if you do the same thing when it's 98 degrees outside, you have your AC blasting, and you're going up a 5 mile long 6% grade while your engine screams to maintain 75mph...then I'm not sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You're probably OK...but it would be interesting to see what your CVT temps are under those conditions.

Now, if you do the same thing when it's 98 degrees outside, you have your AC blasting, and you're going up a 5 mile long 6% grade while your engine screams to maintain 75mph...then I'm not sure.
    I'd really be pissed if Mitsubishi just threw the Mirage out on the American market and didn't do their stress test research confirming these CVT7s can do regular hwy speeds and under hwy conditions. In my state, hwy speed limits are usually 70 mph unless going thru a heavily populated area. If foreign cars have to meet US safety regulations, they should have to pass basic performance regulations too IMO and that includes a "city car" being able to do long trips at normal speeds, on the hwy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    They should design a transmission that doesn't grenade under conditions that cars are normally driven. Dirk should NEVER have to even consider such a question (2 posts back). Of course, 5 hours at 5,000 rpm going uphill the whole time, does not effect a manual transmission, so there's that. Yeah, it may get warmer, but it's not going to break.

But an automagic transmission should be robust, if nothing else. My old 2003 Camry, has a good ole 4 speed O/D slushbox. That is the least annoying automagic I have ever driven. Yeah, it may get 1 mpg less than today's CVT's and 412 speed automatics. I could care less. The thing has never had an issue, shifts like at dream at 170k+ miles. That's a good transmission.

My LS460L has an 8 speed automagic. It is annoying as hell. It wants to be in 8th gear at 9 mph. Ridiculous. OK, I exaggerate, but it does lug itself around everywhere it goes, which I find horribly annoying. Would love to have a 5 or 6 speed manual in that Lexus.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (04-12-2021)

I agree, I'd prefer the driveability of an older camry over a cvt Mirage. Mine is taking it's time downshifting when coming to a rolling stop then hitting the gas, if you're too hard on the throttle it'll clunk pretty good. I took a worn out work car for a drive the other day and it was even worse! I came to a stop, hit the throttle and it banged into gear and the tire spun..It acted like an old automatic would when it's low on fluid. Rev it til it goes.

The wife has some stupid 8 speed in her Sorento. I'm not a fan, power is never there cause it's always in to high of a gear. It doesn't help that the throttle response is almost as bad as the Mirage(EDIT-Kia drives like a normal car if put in sport mode, no laggy throttle and it doesn't take forever to downshift 3 gears when floored).
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-01-2023 at 12:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

For future reference, pulled the cvt drain plug and 2.5L came out(car level). Pulled the pan and got just shy of a liter extra out. Almost a gallon total by dropping the oil pan.

Everything appears okayish. No pieces of bearing floating around. Just another bi-monthly cvt fluid change.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    For future reference, pulled the cvt drain plug and 2.5L came out(car level). Pulled the pan and got just shy of a liter extra out. Almost a gallon total by dropping the oil pan.

Everything appears okayish. No pieces of bearing floating around. Just another bi-monthly cvt fluid change.
    Your having to change the fluid in that particular Mirage twice a month to keep it going? That sucks! I'd broke having to do $200 cvt fluid changes twice a month. For me, I'm going to keep driving it how I'm driving it. Which is usually the speed limit or 5 over on city roads and the hwy. If my CVT can't handle this and it grenades before 200k miles, even though I performed all the correct preventative maintenance, I'm going to post every where I can "What an unreliable piece of junk the CVT Mirage is." Thankfully, I think I'll be just fine to reach my goal of 200k thanks to Fummin's data on his fleet.

No, I meant the other bi-monthly. Every 2 months. I changed it back in Feb and December. I don't know why, maybe driver was complaining about problems back then too? I didn't make a note of it. It's fine.....

Black car lives on though so that's a bonus. And there's one here at work with 390,000kms(I think?) on it now, so there's no need to jump your car off a cliff yet.

Edit: 2.5L of cvt fluid is less than $200.

Last edited by Fummins; 05-01-2023 at 12:29 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-12-2021)