Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: HID D4S Bulb Replacement

Country
    United States
    Thanks

DIY: HID D4S Bulb Replacement

One of my HID Bulbs started flickering. I tested the ballast and I had a constant flow of juice, so I decided to change the bulb. In the past, I've always changed HID bulbs in pairs to maintain the same color of light, since, overtime, HID bulbs do change light color. This is to demonstrate how to change the factory D4S bulbs. You may purchase the factory OSRAM Zenarc #66440 or go with another brand, you're choosing. I have been buying from the same seller on Ebay and have never had any issues.

The difference between the two is very minimal. Osram Zenarc's glass is tinted blue to give a nice whiteish light, but the Aftermarket 6000k are still a little bluer.

Open the hood and find the rear of the housing. Turn the cover about 1/8th of a turn counterclockwise and it pops off.

Then, turn the bulb socket about an 1/8th of a turn counterclockwise too and pull it straight out.

There are two retaining clips holding the bulb in. Push the towards the front of the car and in towards the light to release.

Install the new bulb with the big notch at the top, and reverse the order of the bulb steps to finish.

When you're finished, you'll have a nice light output again. I know this may seem like a simple change, but I know how some people are scared to try anything, and hopefully this will ease some worries about changing these yourself.

Just an added note. Many online resources say a D2S bulb will work, this is incorrect. The factory bulbs I removed were D4S. D2S need more voltage to continue running past inital start-up, and D4S use less voltage. D2S will blink out after a bit. Make sure you're replacing the bulbs with D4S

Cheers!

Last edited by Alex1a1f; 01-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    (blank signature)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (01-14-2019),Daox (01-14-2019),Eggman (01-13-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    How long do these bulbs met to last?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Usually longer than halogen.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could a mod please change the title to D4S/D2S bulbs please? My originals definitely were D4S eventhough guide said D2S.

Thank you
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Could a mod please change the title to D4S/D2S bulbs please? My originals definitely were D4S eventhough guide said D2S.

Thank you
    Done!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-14-2019),Daox (01-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Done!
    Please change it to just D4S only. D2S will mount but will shut off after a few minutes since there's not enough voltage to keep them going after initial start-up. D4S are the correct fitment and require less voltage to run consistently after initial star-up.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Please change it to just D4S only. D2S will mount but will shut off after a few minutes since there's not enough voltage to keep them going after initial start-up. D4S are the correct fitment and require less voltage to run consistently after initial star-up.
    No problem!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    No problem!
    Thanks again! I changed all the information and pictures above to the correct specs. Thanks!
    (blank signature)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also recently replaced mine with some aftermarket D4S bulbs. There really isn't much option for the D4S style, but since D2S is a more widely used bulb (mainly in the luxury cars), it has many more options. I've considered replacing the D4S ballast with a D2S one since the bulb/housing is physically the same, or even swapping over to LED entirely (using a driver instead of a ballast).

I really want to venture down the road of swapping out the lens with a clear, non-fresnel lens (ours are slightly diffused AND fresnel), but I don't want to think about what it'd cost to buy a new headlight assembly if it goes wrong :X

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    I also recently replaced mine with some aftermarket D4S bulbs. There really isn't much option for the D4S style, but since D2S is a more widely used bulb (mainly in the luxury cars), it has many more options. I've considered replacing the D4S ballast with a D2S one since the bulb/housing is physically the same, or even swapping over to LED entirely (using a driver instead of a ballast).

I really want to venture down the road of swapping out the lens with a clear, non-fresnel lens (ours are slightly diffused AND fresnel), but I don't want to think about what it'd cost to buy a new headlight assembly if it goes wrong :X
    What option d2s vs d4s are you talking? Btw, putting a LED in these projectors gives off a terrible beam pattern. Just an fyi.

(blank signature)