Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: traction control light illuminated

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flip096 View Post
    update on this one... i drove 30 miles from work... light didnt came on... i guess its just the sensors being wet due to the car lowered from coilovers and flooding... i also forgot to mention that when it happened yesterday, the car drives normally without losing power and i dont have problem with braking or controlling the car even when the traction control light is on... i'll still continue to monitor it today and i will update again....
    If it stays off then no worries.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

flip096 (01-18-2019),Fummins (01-18-2019)

That's kinda weird, usually when there's a traction control error the abs light comes on as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the ECU is tolerant of certain "unusual conditions", but if they persist, it declares a "problem". The limits and details of these conditions are questions that we're never likely to get answers to without talking to the engineers who created and calibrated them.

For example, I've been autocrossing the hell out of my Mirage for about 18 months. I still haven't figured out how to recreate a power-cut problem that I'm 100% sure is related to the fact that I left-foot brake. The car tolerates it up to a point. But, it's either detecting "throttle and brake application" at the same time REPEATEDLY and deciding that it needs to cut power, or it's just a certain combination of timing of the brake and throttle application that causes it. But, every now and then... it absolutely cuts power when I don't want it to! (and yes, this is with the traction control OFF) A lot of modern cars do the same thing, and are much LESS tolerant of left-foot braking (with the right foot on the throttle). Fords and Mazdas will flat out lose their mind right away and cut power for several seconds making you think something is broken! They're detecting it as an "error" because there isn't supposed to be a brake input and a throttle input at the same time.

I wonder if the same sort of thing happened in your heavy rain? It's not difficult to spin the tires and get the TC light to come on when driving in the rain on the OE tires. Perhaps doing so REPEATEDLY triggers a "hey, the driver is ignoring the occasional TC light, maybe I need to leave this light on to let the driver know they're being stupid" reaction? (not saying anyone's being stupid... just that the ECU may be programmed to react in that manner)

I agree that if the problem goes away and doesn't return in normal driving, it's not an issue.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-18-2019),Top_Fuel (02-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Emissions faults are treated more strictly I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had this error happen to me once also. Heavy heavy downpour with lots of standing water that I was driving through. Light came on and stayed on for about a day. Went off on it's own and hasn't repeated it since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

I wonder if the same sort of thing happened in your heavy rain? It's not difficult to spin the tires and get the TC light to come on when driving in the rain on the OE tires. Perhaps doing so REPEATEDLY triggers a "hey, the driver is ignoring the occasional TC light, maybe I need to leave this light on to let the driver know they're being stupid" reaction? (not saying anyone's being stupid... just that the ECU may be programmed to react in that manner)
    that pretty much happened to except without the power cut off... like i said, it turns on without causing me any problem...i dont drive aggressively during the rain and i dont have oe tires...i know you also installed godspring coilovers on yours right?... i just installed it 2 weeks ago...is it also possible that the ecu detects it because of my stiffness setting and the car doesnt lean too much on the side when turning unlike with my lowering springs thinking that it skids?
    Last edited by flip096; 01-18-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I think the ECU is tolerant of certain "unusual conditions", but if they persist, it declares a "problem". The limits and details of these conditions are questions that we're never likely to get answers to without talking to the engineers who created and calibrated them.

For example, I've been autocrossing the hell out of my Mirage for about 18 months. I still haven't figured out how to recreate a power-cut problem that I'm 100% sure is related to the fact that I left-foot brake. The car tolerates it up to a point. But, it's either detecting "throttle and brake application" at the same time REPEATEDLY and deciding that it needs to cut power, or it's just a certain combination of timing of the brake and throttle application that causes it. But, every now and then... it absolutely cuts power when I don't want it to! (and yes, this is with the traction control OFF) A lot of modern cars do the same thing, and are much LESS tolerant of left-foot braking (with the right foot on the throttle). Fords and Mazdas will flat out lose their mind right away and cut power for several seconds making you think something is broken! They're detecting it as an "error" because there isn't supposed to be a brake input and a throttle input at the same time.
    I've had a mirage kill power when hitting the brakes under throttle. It will do it everytime without fail. I was trying to reproduce a brake noise a driver was complaining about when I found that it cuts power when you two foot it.
    Maybe try unplugging your brake switch and see if it still cuts power(for use on the track)? Though it might throw a code or do weird things cause these cars have a brake pressure switch as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (01-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    alright... the thing goes on again.. i guess i'll make a trip to the mechanic tomorrow to see whats going on...im hoping its just a bad sensor...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    forgot to update on this.. it resolved by itself
    ... i'll just try to avoid flooded streets from now on as much as i can... i think the sensors are too saturated with flood and it takes a day or two to make it completely dry again...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flip096 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-04-2019),inuvik (02-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flip096 View Post
    forgot to update on this.. it resolved by itself
    ... i'll just try to avoid flooded streets from now on as much as i can... i think the sensors are too saturated with flood and it takes a day or two to make it completely dry again...
    Good to hear