Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think about the 2020 Supra?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    For sure, do I love my Mirage most for its great fuel economy, that was my main reason for buying the car. I don't even have air conditioning in my '14. That said I do like my sports cars and classic cars.

The Corolla/Chevy car was the Geo Prism.
    When the Geo line was dropped in the United States, Chevy keep the Prizm. Thus, the Chevy Prizm was just an updated Geo Prizm. They were solid cars for their time.

Sprinter/Corolla/Prizm all have a connection. Found this statement - "The Geo/Chevrolet Prizm (Chevrolet Prizm starting 1998) was a compact car derived from the Japanese domestic market Toyota Sprinter, itself a version of the Toyota Corolla, and jointly developed by Toyota and General Motors."

Huge improvement over the Chevette, Vega, and Monza! It's no wonder Toyota & Honda found a market in the U.S.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-19-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    the Toyota Corolla, and jointly developed by Toyota and General Motors."

Huge improvement over the Chevette, Vega, and Monza! It's no wonder Toyota & Honda found a market in the U.S.
    I drove a 1999 or so Corolla in driver's ed, and I liked the boringness of the Toyota Corolla. At least one or two generations ahead of any Chevette, or even the Ares hatch Plymouth I believe, underpowered. Old first gen Kias were bad for that too.

General rule is you can't go that wrong with the Corolla's and Sentra's, to me are the best of the compact car lot

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    General rule is you can't go that wrong with the Corolla's and Sentra's, to me are the best of the compact car lot
    In my opinion, the older Civic, Corolla, & Sentra vehicles forced the auto world to improve their products, & that was a good thing.

It's not clear who sets the standard in today's small cars to me. The Prius is clearly the standard in hybrid cars.

I must admit that the word "Renault" is a huge turn off for me, & it saddens me that Mitsubishi joined the Nissan-Renault alliance. I don't sense Renault has made Nissan a better company. I have a friend who always states - "Sewers always suck down & never pull up. If you hang around a sewer it will always pull you down. You will never pull the sewer up!" When he makes this statement, he's usually referring to kids who hang with the wrong crowd. These same kids have all sorts of potential, but wrong choices hinder all that.

"Cracks appear in the world's biggest autos alliance" - see below

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/17/busin...nce/index.html

I could be wrong, but I see Renault as an automotive sewer. Sadly, profits drives a lot decisions. I hope Mitsubishi maintains their identity through this merger. If not, my money can always go elsewhere.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-19-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Also if you go back to the 80's there was the Chevy Nova which was basically a Corolla.

Fun fact, the Nova and Prism were not actually Corollas but the very VERY closely related Toyota Sprinter.
    The Geo/chevy prizm were in fact corolla clones, at least here in the United states. I owned a 1990. It was geo from 87-97and chevy from 98-02.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I hope Mitsubishi maintains their identity through this merger. If not, my money can always go elsewhere.
    I agree, although I have always liked the Le Car Renault had in the 1980's, that car has personality. I wouldn't mind seeing what their new cars are like, their old ones yes weren't known to be that great.

Thanks for posting the article about the corruption at the top echelons of the Mitsu-Nissan-Renault alliance. Some CEO's egos become too big and this kind of thing happens, more than you would think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Umm ya, the simple fact it lacks a manual gearbox is a non-starter for me. Definitely a chickee car, then.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-19-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    Umm ya, the simple fact it lacks a manual gearbox is a non-starter for me. Definitely a chickee car, then.
    The new Road & Track came in the mail the other day, has a review of the new Z4 roadster, the sister car to the new 2020 Supra. FYI only the BMW variant with the 4 cylinder in Europe comes with a manual tranny. Not sure if the Supra in Europe has a manual or not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The Geo/chevy prizm were in fact corolla clones, at least here in the United states. I owned a 1990. It was geo from 87-97and chevy from 98-02.
    THere's actually a few small differences in the sheet metal, lights, interior, etc. They're the Toyota Sprinter. Think of the Corolla Levin and the Sprinter Trueno. Both are AE86 platform but have little cosmetic type changes to them. It's got something to do with how the dealer networks work in Japan... something about having to have different products at different locations or something? I'm not really 100% sure.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Supra has always been an overrated GT car. Died off cause it was too expensive for what it was and the increasing regulations. Just like how the Skyline and RX7 were too expensive. I'd prefer a new Nissan Silvia or Sileighty. The S chassis was killed off to save Nissan money. The 350z was very heavy because it shared parts with other Nissans to save money. I would like the FRS but I'm too tall for it and it has a Boxer engine. I might just get an FC or R32 when I save up.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-19-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The Supra has always been an overrated GT car. Died off cause it was too expensive for what it was and the increasing regulations. Just like how the Skyline and RX7 were too expensive. I'd prefer a new Nissan Silvia or Sileighty. The S chassis was killed off to save Nissan money. The 350z was very heavy because it shared parts with other Nissans to save money. I would like the FRS but I'm too tall for it and it has a Boxer engine. I might just get an FC or R32 when I save up.
    The last generation Eclipse became a lumbering coupe by the end, compare a 2011 Eclipse to a 1991 Eclipse.

Not to go on a tangent but the thing is I'm tall too, 6'1, and EVERY Mitsu product, lack of leg-room. Actually the cabins in every Mitsu model, big and small, I've sat in the past 5 years, equal lack of leg room.

My 80s VW Rabbit I could stretch my admittingly long legs out straight out. In the big Mitsu Outlander I'm equally lacking leg room as I am in my Mirage, no kidding.

Why aren't cars made for longer folk

Last edited by dspace9; 01-19-2019 at 03:04 PM.