Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What do you guys think about the 2020 Supra?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My big beef with the new Z4 and 2020 Supra is like the EVO ten it's too heavy 3600 pounds or so it says in Road & Track and convertibles can be heavier still 340 horsepower is 340 horsepower Chevy Traverse or Supra
    EVO X was really disappointing to me. I was hoping the EVO would "evolve" for the better once the EVO XI would come out and once I turned 25 so the insurance costs would drop down...but they dropped the EVO. People say to just buy the WRX but the WRX has the highest liability thanks to backwards hat wearing vapers crashing their Subbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We had the Geo Tracker & Chevy Tracker in the U.S. , which was a Suzuki Sidekick. I know an original owner of a rusted out Sidekick, & I saw him still driving it two days ago. He loves that thing.

If you really think hard, you can come up with other examples. Prior to the Honda Pilot. Honda sold the Passport. The Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo.

The Dodge Raider was produced by Mitsubishi in Japan, as it was a rebadged first generation Mitsubishi Montero (also known as Pajero or Shogun).

Rebadging vehicles has been going on for quite some time.
    Rebadging cheaper vehicles always made sense for American companies. American car manufacturers have a hard time making small and affordable cars. I dislike rebadging when it comes to sports, super, and hyper cars. The point of a sports car is to be beautiful and fast, but super/hyper cars have to be unique. The Supra isn't a super car but it still feels bad that its not truly unique. Why would I buy a Supra over the Z4 or 370Z?

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I could afford it, I wouldn't get it. The automatic transmission is a deal breaker for me, especially for a sports car. You're pouring $50,000+ into this brand new "legendary" sports car and for $50,000, there are more options out there.

After reading the specs, the Supra reads similar to a "lighter" Nissan 370Z. I'm not putting the new Supra in the same class of the GTR/Porsches, I'm putting it into the same class the Nissan 370Z is in. Which is unfortunate because I really thought Toyota would at least release a Supra that is equivalent to the Lexus LFA and not a more powerful GT86/FRS.

Overall, it's a very photogenic car. I wouldn't be suprised to see them make a T-Top version soon, especially since it's only in a automatic transmission. It's a car made for your eyes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    If I could afford it, I wouldn't get it. The automatic transmission is a deal breaker for me, especially for a sports car. You're pouring $50,000+ into this brand new "legendary" sports car and for $50,000, there are more options out there.
    I feel the same way! I have to many other hobbies that I would rather throw my money at. There isn't anything about the new Supra that would draw me to that car, especially at the listed price. When the Supra left the U.S. market in the late 1990's, it was selling less than 1500 cars/year. Given the present auto market (focus on trucks, CUVs, SUVs, etc...), I don't see this car as being a big seller.

If I wanted something sporty & fun, I would much rather buy a 5 speed manual Mazda Miata at half that price. Better yet, you can find plenty of good used Miata vehicle for a whole lot less, because they have never left the market.

I am sure some will buy & love the new Supra, & Toyota is large enough to take a gamble on a car like this. If nothing else, I am glad Toyota is committed to building cars. The same can't be said of Ford.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

2of9 (01-23-2019),Pryme (01-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    love bmw and their engines but wish this was pure toyota... overall seems nice though would love to drive one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    From my youtube feed, it seems people are already dropping 2jz engines into them.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    EVO X was really disappointing to me. I was hoping the EVO would "evolve" for the better once the EVO XI would come out and once I turned 25 so the insurance costs would drop down...but they dropped the EVO. People say to just buy the WRX but the WRX has the highest liability thanks to backwards hat wearing vapers crashing their Subbies.

Rebadging cheaper vehicles always made sense for American companies. American car manufacturers have a hard time making small and affordable cars. I dislike rebadging when it comes to sports, super, and hyper cars. The point of a sports car is to be beautiful and fast, but super/hyper cars have to be unique. The Supra isn't a super car but it still feels bad that its not truly unique. Why would I buy a Supra over the Z4 or 370Z?
    Hey there Marklovski sorry I forgot to respond, I think the super limited Mitsubishi Mirage R5 (see this youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxk5eIqstzM) it truer to an "evolution" of the Evo's of the past.. lighter, smaller, as much HP to as little weight to ratio as possible.

In a sense like the first McLaren F1's in the mid 90s, 650 plus HP and 2500 lbs or so more/ less. With custom Kenwood stereo's and 3 seats!

I saw one of those Nismo edition 370s the other day on the road, and that is an impressive car to see, with all black and slight gold accents, looked sharp but they turned.. so they were gone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    Spotted a new Supra last week. Looks better in real life. But Sound is disapointing.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    Spotted a new Supra last week. Looks better in real life. But Sound is disapointing.
    I feel the same way about the FRS. I had one pass me this morning driving like a real jerk in traffic, all the while buzzing about like an obnoxious Subaru with the muffler hacked off.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like a dodge viper with a shorter hood to me. Not sure I like it, but then again until a couple months ago when I was talking to a coworker I thought the old Supra was just a trim level of the Celica, but no apparently it was it's own car entirely.

We need more compelling car options. Uggoboxes are taking over because everything is getting so bland whats the difference. I hope it does good, but if I wanted something overpowered I think I'd go with:

This is a niche to fill, and as a subcompact driver at least this will be one less car with perpetual highbeams(when followed by a vehicle with low beams at eye level) behind me.