Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecu programing for boosted applications

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the throttle response has more to do with the fact that it's just a really low-power engine. If you're below 1500-2000 rpm, "nobody's home". Once you get above 2000, throttle response improves. And if you're up around 4000, it's just fine.

I had an engine torque strut on my car for a while, I found that helped with throttle response A LOT, too. We have soft engine mounts to try to counter some of the natural vibration of the 3-cylinder.

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most people blame it on that, but I have a 2000 metro, and it is noticeably more responsive, and it is also a low powered three cylinder with super soft engine mounts. I can heel-toe shift it no problem, but I try that in the mirage and the engine really doesn't rev at all usually.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I actually have the intake silencer off right now and the intake is really noisy when the throttle's open, so it's pretty obvious when the throttle is ignoring me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black mirage View Post
    The throttle response is kinda sluggish if you ask me. Right now in canada -30c and snow on the ground the traction control is working overtime but as soon as you turn it off the the response seems faster and im talking without wheel spinon dry pavement. I definitely miss cable operated throttles
    Traction control has an impact on throttle response, but the
    two are certainly different functions.

Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    Just based my own calculated guess work, I'd say that the throttle lag that it has is probably tuned in on purpose, because it's fine when I drive the car normally. It's when I start driving like a lunatic it starts to not do what I want. I'm a vw tech and driving those around everyday, I just find the throttle response is much better, even in the old ones and the diesels.
    And VW has cheated emissions controls in favor of throttle response.

Most people blame it on that, but I have a 2000 metro, and it is noticeably more responsive, and it is also a low powered three cylinder with super soft engine mounts. I can heel-toe shift it no problem, but I try that in the mirage and the engine really doesn't rev at all usually.
    Again, I suggest that emissions controls may be at play here. Pumping the throttle tends to dump fuel. It is a simple matter to program this out in order to improve on fuel economy ratings. Just a guess.

I also double-clutch when downshifting and have no problems whatsoever.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only the newer diesel engines cheated emissions, not the gas engines, and even after updating them so they meet emissions regulations, they're still more responsive than the mirage's engine is. Whatever the reason for the lag being there may be, I hate and I want it to go away. And the way to do that will be to tune the ecm.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only the newer diesel engines cheated emissions, not the gas engines, and even after updating them so they meet emissions regulations, they're still more responsive than the mirage's engine is. Whatever the reason for the lag being there may be, I hate and I want it to go away. And the way to do that will be to tune the ecm.
    I have a question - as a VW technician, you might have some familiarity with this. Of all the various control modules communicating with each other in today's cars, does one ECU (in the instance of Mitsubishi - ETACS) verify the programming of another? For example I wonder if ETACS looks for a firmware version and/or checksum for the ECU and if this information does not match up it will either store a emissions-related fault code or even immobilize the vehicle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you somehow got a module screwed up enough it could conceivably set a network/communication fault, but generally speaking no, most modules don't verify other modules unless they need a specific piece of information from it and it is wrong or missing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you somehow got a module screwed up enough it could conceivably set a network/communication fault, but generally speaking no, most modules don't verify other modules unless they need a specific piece of information from it and it is wrong or missing.
    I'm pretty sure ETACS verifies certain information from the ECU, such as VIN and odometer value. Since it checks those values, I wouldn't be surprised if ETACS also checks firmware version and checksum.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    My Attrage throttle response is definitely slow.
    When you drive gently you won’t notice it. But try flooring it.. you will notice for a second or two that nothing
    Happens. This is especially scary when pulling out of a side road onto a main road or when doing an overtake. A few times I got caught out with the car not responding as what I would expect it to.

Since it’s an economy car designed for best fuel consumption, the ecu is programmed for a soft throttle feel/response.
    Our local tuner calls it a safety feature which he ovesrcomes by flashing ecu or tcu (not exactly sure which one).
    Another Easy way to improve response and feel is a throttle controller. I plan to install a throttle controller soon. You can dial it for instantaneous response or dull it for more economy. Will post it up when I get it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    My Attrage throttle response is definitely slow.
    When you drive gently you won’t notice it. But try flooring it.. you will notice for a second or two that nothing
    Happens. This is especially scary when pulling out of a side road onto a main road or when doing an overtake. A few times I got caught out with the car not responding as what I would expect it to.
    Fit, do you suppose that some part of this 'slow' response you experience can be attributed to the CVT? Do you get the same symptoms when using the CVT 'sport' mode?