Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ecu programing for boosted applications

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm pretty sure ETACS verifies certain information from the ECU, such as VIN and odometer value. Since it checks those values, I wouldn't be surprised if ETACS also checks firmware version and checksum.
    Vin and odometer value's would be some data other modules look for, so those generally need to be correct(but not always depending on car.) As for firmware and software version, I can't speak to mitsubishi, but vw's modules don't care what software version anything is at as long as they get the values they're expecting when they ask for it. And as far as checksum, as long as you don't screw up your bin file or your flash process, checksum should be fine. All of that stuff is handled by your flash software, either your factory scantool or in the case of this discussion, Pcm Flash sounds like it has the most promise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Long story short if you're getting at what I think you are, can flashing the ecm cause the car to not operate correctly? Absolutely. But if it's flashed right it shouldn't.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    Long story short if you're getting at what I think you are, can flashing the ecm cause the car to not operate correctly? Absolutely. But if it's flashed right it shouldn't.
    I can see some eager youngster making a fine brick out of their Mirage trying to 'make it better.'

Here's my thing - the Mirage is an affordable economy car designed and built for efficiency. If one wants a sports car, buy one designed for it. In the end, it's just cheaper that way.

Wolfgang and Miss Helga have illustrated this point nicely.

There's only so much one can do with 3 cylinders with 1.2 cubic liters of displacement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've said this before... and perhaps some people don't care...

Some of us are inclined to modify our cars for a variety of reasons, or for no reason at all. If you're NOT inclined to do so, you DON'T need to chime into threads like this one and tell us that we're wasting our time. We already know.

If you're firmly in the "don't try to make your economy car into a sports car" camp, you shouldn't even waste your time READING a thread about "ECU programming for boosted applications". And telling us to "buy a sports car" is just ridiculous! That's obviously NOT what we're about.

You don't have to modify your car. Nobody's twisting your arm. And nobody's jumping into your threads about "whatever" and telling you that you need to do so. So, please... just stop. Accept that some of us like to modify cars. Even lowly economy cars. Sometimes ESPECIALLY lowly economy cars. Just because we can.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm of the opinion that just because a car is cheap, doesn't mean it can't be fun. I really like alot about these cars, and it wouldn't take much to make this a fun little car.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kzelisko For This Useful Post:

Loren (01-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I've said this before... and perhaps some people don't care...

Some of us are inclined to modify our cars for a variety of reasons, or for no reason at all. If you're NOT inclined to do so, you DON'T need to chime into threads like this one and tell us that we're wasting our time. We already know.

If you're firmly in the "don't try to make your economy car into a sports car" camp, you shouldn't even waste your time READING a thread about "ECU programming for boosted applications". And telling us to "buy a sports car" is just ridiculous! That's obviously NOT what we're about.

You don't have to modify your car. Nobody's twisting your arm. And nobody's jumping into your threads about "whatever" and telling you that you need to do so. So, please... just stop. Accept that some of us like to modify cars. Even lowly economy cars. Sometimes ESPECIALLY lowly economy cars. Just because we can.
    Loren, I appreciate your input here on this forum. You have a lot of expertise to share.

There are lots of aspects to modifying an ECU for any model car. It's nothing I've gotten into, though I am curious to know more about what is involved and the possible pitfalls. While I'm sure there may be some improvements to be found there, I can't help but think that it will either increase pollution and harmful emissions, possibly put the owner/operator in jeopardy with the law, render their vehicle useless, or cause damage. And for what - some few extra horsepower? That to me smells like one's ego driving the ship.

This forum was influential in my decision to purchase my Mirage. My focus was (and still is) on economy. From what I saw and read the forum was solidly structured toward efficiency and economy with few threads discussing performance modifications.

Lately there are more threads toward improving performance with a focus on increasing power, or handling, or some such. That doesn't make sense to me. I've made some changes to my Mirage - some out of curiosity and experimentation. I even put on one of Tim's anti-sway bars. While I like and appreciate it, I don't feel I need it for my use.

I'm sorry that you let my opinion bother you as much as it does. That doesn't change how I approach the Mirage, nor does it change it's fundamental purpose of basic transportation.

Feel free to make your Mirage what you like. But I don't think you should let this get to you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your opinion about whether or not a Mirage should be modified for performance is fine, and I respect it. This thread is just NOT the place to express that opinion. The OP asked a question, and that was not it.

You want to point out the fact that someone who doesn't know what they're doing could brick their ECU in the process of trying to reflash it? Sure, do that. But, the extra step of "go buy a sports car", and the three completely irrelevant videos are not necessary. That's the part that sets me off.

Add relevant information to the discussion. Ask relevant questions. Leave the fluff. As a moderator, you should be an expert at this, and encourage the same of others.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Your opinion about whether or not a Mirage should be modified for performance is fine, and I respect it. This thread is just NOT the place to express that opinion. The OP asked a question, and that was not it.

You want to point out the fact that someone who doesn't know what they're doing could brick their ECU in the process of trying to reflash it? Sure, do that. But, the extra step of "go buy a sports car", and the three completely irrelevant videos are not necessary. That's the part that sets me off.

Add relevant information to the discussion. Ask relevant questions. Leave the fluff. As a moderator, you should be an expert at this, and encourage the same of others.
    I'm under the impression you simply don't like an opposing opinion. You had no input in this thread until I posted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And a VW technician ought to appreciate those videos. Maybeyou can too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You don't get it.

That's okay.