Thread: FAST key battery life? Weird symbol

Country
    United States
    Thanks

FAST key battery life? Weird symbol

Hey all,

So today a symbol shows up when I depress the clutch and prepare to start the car, and it blinks for maybe 20sec after it starts. It's the yellow fast key symbol. It's like a key with an ! Running through it.

According to the owners manual it could be a few issues bit did list battery in fast key being low. Hoping its that.

Battery is original so from Like march of 17. Sound about right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yep, that sounds right. AND I'll bet it's particularly cold where you are now, causing your FAST battery voltage to drop even more.

I've had that dashboard indicator on startup on Speck for over a year now. I have some batteries on standby in case I need them.

The owner's manual says I can use the FAST key holder to start the engine if the battery is ever that low. I intend to find out how that works one day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yep, that sounds right. AND I'll bet it's particularly cold where you are now, causing your FAST battery voltage to drop even more.

I've had that dashboard indicator on startup on Speck for over a year now. I have some batteries on standby in case I need them.

The owner's manual says I can use the FAST key holder to start the engine if the battery is ever that low. I intend to find out how that works one day.
    Oh wow so you have been running the low key fob battery for a year? So you get the yellow key light every start?

Keep us posted when it finally give up and you have to use the little key plug in.

And yeah it was about 4deg when it first happened

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Oh wow so you have been running the low key fob battery for a year? So you get the yellow key light every start?

Keep us posted when it finally give up and you have to use the little key plug in.

And yeah it was about 4deg when it first happened
    Don't know about the rest of you, but I am guilty of leaving my remotes in the car while parked in a cold garage. Over time, the cold probably does a number on them. I have to think taking them inside while it is cold out would extend the battery life somewhat. Replacing a tiny battery is not a big deal, however.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Most sorts of batteries will not produce normal voltage or current when cold, and may even fail when extremely cold. How much voltage and current drops depends on the exact sort of the battery.
    I keep my key in my trouser pocket, and that keeps it warm enough.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is right. I first noticed it around September of 2017.

The FAST transponder key has a little indicator light which by my understanding indicates when it transmits its code. I noticed this light blinks when I push a door lock/unlock button and when I step on my clutch for a engine start. Another time when the transponder gets pinged is the rare occasion when I park, shut off the engine, and open my door with the FAST key in its little storage slot - I get a reminder from ETACS and grab the FAST key. I don't always put it in the slot but sometimes its a convenient place for my keys. Good thing for the reminder.

Anyway, all that to say I make a note of when the FAST transponder is queried and in turn I modify my behavior to minimize the instances of use in order to see how long I can go with this condition. I also rarely use my remote lock/unlock feature of my FAST key. If its just me, I'll unlock using my driver door button. If I have to unlock other doors for passengers, I'll use the button on the hatch to unlock them all. In those instances I usually have something to toss in the storage compartment behind the seat, so it works out.

I don't even notice the dashboard indicator light anymore. I'm accustomed to it.

Sorry for the long post. At least its on topic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's some eye candy for anyone interested.

The two halves of the shell pry apart fairly easily. The whole assembly has been pretty sturdy so far.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-23-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The CR2032 inside the key is a lithium battery, and should function at low temps, but not in extreme cold.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That is right. I first noticed it around September of 2017.

The FAST transponder key has a little indicator light which by my understanding indicates when it transmits its code. I noticed this light blinks when I push a door lock/unlock button and when I step on my clutch for a engine start. Another time when the transponder gets pinged is the rare occasion when I park, shut off the engine, and open my door with the FAST key in its little storage slot - I get a reminder from ETACS and grab the FAST key. I don't always put it in the slot but sometimes its a convenient place for my keys. Good thing for the reminder.

Anyway, all that to say I make a note of when the FAST transponder is queried and in turn I modify my behavior to minimize the instances of use in order to see how long I can go with this condition. I also rarely use my remote lock/unlock feature of my FAST key. If its just me, I'll unlock using my driver door button. If I have to unlock other doors for passengers, I'll use the button on the hatch to unlock them all. In those instances I usually have something to toss in the storage compartment behind the seat, so it works out.

I don't even notice the dashboard indicator light anymore. I'm accustomed to it.

Sorry for the long post. At least its on topic.
    I, like you, almost never use the buttons on the fob. I've used them maybe four times.
    I use my door button or the hatch for all the doors.

I never keep my keys in the car, even while in garage.

My wifes car is set up different. Her drivers door button opens all the doors with a single push. Wonder why

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I, like you, almost never use the buttons on the fob. I've used them maybe four times.
    I use my door button or the hatch for all the doors.
    Yeah, I think I've used my remote buttons about the same.

I never keep my keys in the car, even while in garage.
    Oh yeah on this one. That's a Bad Idea, a practical invitation for trouble. I usually put my keys there when I'm underway, usually on long trips.

My wifes car is set up different. Her drivers door button opens all the doors with a single push. Wonder why
    I understand this can be changed in ETACS. It's mentioned in the Owner's Manual somewhere.

Handy feature, this FAST key. I like it. This is my first such setup and I got used to it easy and quick.