Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Heat Output - New Heater Core Denied

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is the kind of thing that could very well happen during a pre-delivery inspection on a brand new car. Face it, the Mirage is the red-headed stepchild on any Mitsubishi dealer's lot, nobody wants to waste any time on them. "Hey, Joe, we got 5 new Mirages in yesterday, have you done a PDI before? No? Well, here's a checklist, go do them. If you have any questions, Bob will help you, don't bother me."

Or, it could actually be a supply chain problem, and the coolant they're using has the occasional bad batch?

Or, it could be something leftover from the manufacturing process of the heater core that leaves a residue that reacts with the coolant.

Sadly, it's one of those mysteries that we'll probably never learn the answer to.

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it has something to do with modern coolant formulation or manufacturing, Vw's do the same thing. It started with the diesels, and vw engineering blamed it on "flux used during manufacturing that was not adequately flushed", but now the gas cars are doing it too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    This is the kind of thing that could very well happen during a pre-delivery inspection on a brand new car. Face it, the Mirage is the red-headed stepchild on any Mitsubishi dealer's lot, nobody wants to waste any time on them. "Hey, Joe, we got 5 new Mirages in yesterday, have you done a PDI before? No? Well, here's a checklist, go do them. If you have any questions, Bob will help you, don't bother me."

Or, it could actually be a supply chain problem, and the coolant they're using has the occasional bad batch?

Or, it could be something leftover from the manufacturing process of the heater core that leaves a residue that reacts with the coolant.

Sadly, it's one of those mysteries that we'll probably never learn the answer to.
    When I had my core changed last year (2014 with 17k miles) the dealership told me that I put in the wrong coolant. I told them that they are the only ones to have added anything to my car since I bought it. If someone added the wrong fluid, it most likely would have been the dealer during pdi.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    ...it could be something leftover from the manufacturing process of the heater core that leaves a residue that reacts with the coolant.
    Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    ...Vw's do the same thing.
    ...engineering blamed it on "flux used during manufacturing that was not adequately flushed"
    That's what BASF said when foama sent them the pictures of the goo in Doax's heater core.

See this post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Loren (01-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...VW's do the same thing. It started with the diesels, and VW engineering blamed it on "flux used during manufacturing that was not adequately flushed", but now the gas cars are doing it too.
    Hmmm...I think kzelisko is onto something here.

Check out this TSB from Volkswagen. Does any of this sound familiar?

Name:  VW TSB 80-15-04_2.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-23-2019 at 05:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

foama (01-24-2019),MetroMPG (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been a vw tech since 2013, it started back in about 2015 with just the Passat diesel engine(the Passat had a different engine than all of our other diesels) having that problem, and for a couple winters, those were the only cars we saw that did that. Then I think in the winter of 2016, we started getting pretty much all of our mk6 cars having this problem, diesel or not. So who knows whether their original assessment is right or not.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kzelisko For This Useful Post:

foama (01-24-2019),MetroMPG (01-25-2019),Top_Fuel (01-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...it started back in about 2015 with just the Passat diesel engine
    ...in the winter of 2016, we started getting pretty much all of our mk6 cars having this problem, diesel or not.
    Thanks again for bringing this up. I spent a few minutes on a Passat forum this morning. It sounds like the VW issue can be fairly severe in some cases. There are some nightmare stories in those forums. Some guys even had their replacement heater core clog up. I don't think we are dealing with "aluminum rust" as the VW TSB mentions...but that goo in Doax's heater core sure looks like it could be a flux material.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    LOL Our 2012 MK6 GLI was frigid. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks guys !
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    It seems we have come across a potential "time bomb" that will affect most or all of us at some point!

With that knowledge, what should or can we do?

To summarize what we know by now:

1) Mirage coolant may become acidic over time, heater cores become clogged, replacement is labour intensive and expensive.

2) A very similar problem affects VW. According to the VW TSB the heater core should be replaced when clogged, plus the coolant flushed and renewed.
    VW warns if only the core is replaced, the problem will happen again. That tells me, timely flushing and replacing the coolant will prevent these troubles well before the heater core becomes clogged.

3) BASF/Glysantin (worlds largest coolant maker) recommended in their mail to flush and change the coolant. They also recommended switching from regular G30 to the specially formulated G64 coolant.

What I did:

I flushed and renewed the coolant as BASF recommended, and while I was at it, replaced it with G64 instead of regular G30, which is especially made for preventing these problems.

In the future, I will observe the PH level of the coolant, and probably will replace it routinely every three years or so.
    Last edited by foama; 01-24-2019 at 01:23 PM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-24-2019),Dirk Diggler (12-17-2019),Loren (01-24-2019),MetroMPG (01-25-2019),Top_Fuel (01-24-2019)

Top_Fuel and foama - thanks for documenting this for everyone's benefit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)