Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
It seems we have come across a potential "time bomb" that will affect most or all of us at some point!

With that knowledge, what should or can we do?

To summarize what we know by now:

1) Mirage coolant may become acidic over time, heater cores become clogged, replacement is labour intensive and expensive.

2) A very similar problem affects VW. According to the VW TSB the heater core should be replaced when clogged, plus the coolant flushed and renewed.
VW warns if only the core is replaced, the problem will happen again. That tells me, timely flushing and replacing the coolant will prevent these troubles well before the heater core becomes clogged.

3) BASF/Glysantin (worlds largest coolant maker) recommended in their mail to flush and change the coolant. They also recommended switching from regular G30 to the specially formulated G64 coolant.

What I did:

I flushed and renewed the coolant as BASF recommended, and while I was at it, replaced it with G64 instead of regular G30, which is especially made for preventing these problems.

In the future, I will observe the PH level of the coolant, and probably will replace it routinely every three years or so.

How's this going? When I went to BASF site, it only recommends G48 for mitsubishi Colts, and only up to 2007. Is your heat still going strong in all vents?