Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Low Heat Output - New Heater Core Denied

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hmmm...I think kzelisko is onto something here.

Check out this TSB from Volkswagen. Does any of this sound familiar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks again for bringing this up. I spent a few minutes on a Passat forum this morning. It sounds like the VW issue can be fairly severe in some cases. There are some nightmare stories in those forums. Some guys even had their replacement heater core clog up. I don't think we are dealing with "aluminum rust" as the VW TSB mentions...but that goo in Doax's heater core sure looks like it could be a flux material.
    Hey Top_Fuel, can you think of any thing in the Mirage coolant circuit that would contain flux material? Because I'm having a hard time imagining where this flux is coming from. When I think of flux I think of soldering but there must be some other source, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ...can you think of any thing in the Mirage coolant circuit that would contain flux material? Because I'm having a hard time imagining where this flux is coming from.
    I keep referring to it in generic terms as "flux" based on this comment from the BASF engineers:

...the substance may be created within the heater core itself, the cause being residual substances used in manufacturing that react with the OEM coolant and subsequently deposit the reaction product on the colder, outlet side of the heater core.
    I don't know what special residual substances would be left in the heater core when it is manufactured...but there's probably some sort of soldering process (and maybe flux?) involved. And flux sounds better than "mystery goo."

The reality is I don't have a clue what that stuff is, but it looks like it might be petroleum based. That's why I did my testing using plumbing flux. If something can dissolve that, then it might be worth a try in a heater core.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I don’t think the heater core is soldered together but am probably wrong - don’t know much about manufacturing processes these days. But how else would it be put together and still hold water under pressure?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is an interesting topic. What looks to have happened here is improper coolant. If you're not going to use the oem recommend and switch to the cheap generic the whole system needs to be drain and flushed completely first as mixing certain types of coolant causes a gel effect which eventually just ruins the core.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    What looks to have happened here is improper coolant.
    Unfortunately in many/most of these cases, these cars still have the factory fill in the cooling system. Nothing but a 1/2 cup of distilled water has ever been added to my cooling system since my 2015 was built.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    How's this going? When I went to BASF site, it only recommends G48 for mitsubishi Colts, and only up to 2007. Is your heat still going strong in all vents?
    BASF recommends G30 (purple) for the Mirage/Spacestar, not G48.
    See: https://www.glysantin.de/sites/defau...pdf?1611142415

After switching to the BASF-recommended coolant four years ago, PH and looks have remained totally unchanged and the heater core restriction has likewise not changed either, neither better nor worse.
    Last edited by foama; 01-20-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Top_Fuel:
    "I don't know what special residual substances would be left in the heater core when it is manufactured...but there's probably some sort of soldering process (and maybe flux?) involved."

Aluminium can not be easily soldered. It needs a very special solder such as AlSi12 or ZnAl30. Because of that, other metals are present on the soldered parts immersed in coolant, and these metals create the problems involved in soldered aluminium. Its most probably not flux, but "residual substances" such as the special solder, although the VW TSB does mention "flux".
    According to the BASF mail, research into the subject of "goo" has not brought sufficient clarity yet. The rest remains speculation.
    However: It does seem an excellent idea to get rid of the OEM coolant in the affected 2014/2015 Mirage's , use a trusted cooling-system cleaner, flush very thoroughly and fill it with the correct coolant. If in doubt, contact some coolant manufacturers before buying.
    Last edited by foama; 01-20-2021 at 05:50 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-21-2021),Top_Fuel (01-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    BASF recommends G30 for the Mirage/Spacestar, not G48.
    See: https://www.glysantin.de/sites/defau...pdf?1611142415

After switching to the BASF-recommended coolant four years ago, PH and looks have remained totally unchanged and the heater core restriction has likewise not changed either, neither better nor worse.
    They also recommend G30 for Chev
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:02 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They also recommend G30 for Chevrolets 2001+ , but over here they came with the orange dexcool. Then look up Mirage on this site and it calls for green coolant? but says Nissans use the blue stuff. I use the same blue crap in Nissans and the Mitsubishi's.
    https://www.recochem.com/us/coolant-app/
    The Chevrolet badged cars in Europe were simply the umbrella of GM's cheapest, meanwhile a discontinued brand of an unsuccessful maker. Virtually no Chevrolets seen on the road here any more! The Chevrolets seen in the states are not the one's we saw here.

Probably any make coolant is OK if it only suits the car.
    Last edited by foama; 01-20-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They also recommend G30 for Chevrolets 2001+ , but over here they came with the orange dexcool. Then look up Mirage on this site and it calls for green coolant? but says Nissans use the blue stuff. I use the same blue crap in Nissans and the Mitsubishi's.
    https://www.recochem.com/us/coolant-app/
    I can only go from what i've seen and experienced. Anything is better than nothing and, if you flush a system completely and put all of 1 thing in it it seems to be fine. I've seen dexcool put into friggin virtually ever gm product ever. I've also seen green 50/50 put into every car ever because thats just the cheap **** people do.