Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Difficult to start the engine at extreme cold (-27 Celsius)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I started mine ( an '18 GT ) @ 05:00 this AM. It was -32C on the gauge in the dash. I do have a block heater & also a Battery warming blanket ( 50 watts ) & it started like normal. I still have the factory oil in it so I assume it's 0w-20. Definably get a block heater & consider a battery warmer blanket as a warm battery is able to deliver lot more amps.

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (01-22-2019),MetroMPG (01-25-2019)

If it wasn't cranking fast enough it won't start. I've seen weak batteries from new. The few cars that have had the batteries replaced already sound like they crank twice as fast as the oem. Definitely notice a difference. A stronger battery will be easier on your starter as well.

These cars flood very easily if they don't start the first try, especially in the cold. Usually holding the throttle wide open while cranking will clear it up.

Definitely get a block heater, they take 5 mins to install in these cars, it's basically just a little metal dildo that slides in a hole with some lube. We plug all our stuff in at -20c.

Thinner oil will help, a little. But shouldn't make the difference between starting or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-22-2019),Pryme (01-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've nursed weak batteries by holding the throttle wide open until the engine fires, then get off the gas pedal quick so it doesn't rev up. That worked very well with cable throttle cars because it lets the engine breathe easier while you have the throttle open. I'm not sure if it works with drive by wire though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi Fummins, I know little about engines, what does "flood very easily" mean? Will this damage the little Mirage? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If it wasn't cranking fast enough it won't start. I've seen weak batteries from new. The few cars that have had the batteries replaced already sound like they crank twice as fast as the oem. Definitely notice a difference. A stronger battery will be easier on your starter as well.

These cars flood very easily if they don't start the first try, especially in the cold. Usually holding the throttle wide open while cranking will clear it up.

Definitely get a block heater, they take 5 mins to install in these cars, it's basically just a little metal dildo that slides in a hole with some lube. We plug all our stuff in at -20c.

Thinner oil will help, a little. But shouldn't make the difference between starting or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

I suck at explaining, I'm sure many others could explain it better. But... It's basically pouring too much fuel into the engine(usually while starting it), enough to soak the spark plugs so that they won't spark. It's normally not a big deal and easy to clear it out(hold throttle to the floor while cranking will usually stop the injectors from spraying anymore fuel and give the plugs a chance to dry off a bit) but if it's really bad or happens a lot it's not a good thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (01-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Hi Fummins, I know little about engines, what does "flood very easily" mean? Will this damage the little Mirage? Thanks!
    Since the Mirage is fuel injected and computer controlled you should not have to touch the throttle at any point to start the vehicle. As long as the battery is strong enough to crank it over then it should start. Now however with that being said it is possible to "flood" the engine if you start the engine when it is extremely cold and only run it for a very short period (less than a couple of minutes). The fuel air mixture set by the computer will be pretty rich until the engine warms up and if you shut the engine off it is possible to "flood" it. In the unlikely event that happens follow the instructions per the owners manual (floor the throttle and hold it while starting) until the engine starts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (01-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Since the Mirage is fuel injected and computer controlled you should not have to touch the throttle at any point to start the vehicle. As long as the battery is strong enough to crank it over then it should start. Now however with that being said it is possible to "flood" the engine if you start the engine when it is extremely cold and only run it for a very short period (less than a couple of minutes). The fuel air mixture set by the computer will be pretty rich until the engine warms up and if you shut the engine off it is possible to "flood" it. In the unlikely event that happens follow the instructions per the owners manual (floor the throttle and hold it while starting) until the engine starts.
    Thank you so much! I am waiting for the block heater and that should solve the issue with easy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Thank you so much! I am waiting for the block heater and that should solve the issue with easy.
    Today's discussion & recent cold weather inspired to order a block heater, too. I found some differences in prices while shopping from my recliner.

Kat's 11812 engine block heaters -

https://www.amazon.com/Kats-11812-Engine-Heater-Cartridge/dp/B004A6EXV2
    Amazon was $59.99 + $9.45 shipping

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/KAT11812
    NAPPA was $36.49 (free pick up at store I believe)

https://www.autozone.com/external-en.../4216_121545_0
    AutoZone was $31.49 (free shipping if you added something else and made it $35)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...812/11124809-P
    AdvanceAuto was $30.99 (another 15% on line discount available & free shipping)

I ordered one from Advance Auto @ a total cost of $27.79 shipped to my home.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (01-23-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In Canada, we don't have so many choices, I paid about 37 CAD+HST+SHIPPING, altogether 59 bucks. (Zerostart 3100111)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A battery is designed to be used, and if a car is sitting unused a long time waiting for someone to buy it the battery can drain. If it drains to low(like below 11v) that is fully discharged and even upon recharging, can be less effective. You could have it load tested to make sure.

I had it happen to a car of mine sitting all winter. Now I run a maintainer on my stuff if its sitting for more than a week.
    I also had a brand new motorcycle with a battery that crapped out a few days after buying. Dealer gave me a brand new one. Bikes sit along time sometimes.

You guys keep mentioning 0w20 and 5w20 and 5w30 but 0w30 would be a great year around choice.