Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harmful to downshift causing 4k rpm?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post

For extra credit and to try an advanced technique, try upsgifting without the clutch. I used to do it sometimes in my Mustang GT. If you hold the shifter with a bit of pressure against the next gear as you're accelerating it will slide right in when the gears match.

I have not tried with the mirage
    I do that on my motorcycle but I was afraid that would be harmful for the Mirage? My motorcycle has a sequential 6 speed gearbox so when i am in gear 3 .. I am able to upshift to 4, 5 and 6 without using the clutch but I was not aware we could do the same on the Mirage without causing any gear-grinding or slippage.

I thank you all who have commented, your input has really put me on the right track because I am trying to save fuel and to extend the longevity of the car's components as far as possible. It sounds like I was making some mistakes, thank God it is only 15,300 miles on my car so far so I hope I have not caused too much damage with my misguided downshifts into 2nd gear to invoke engine braking. I have done that maybe 40 times total.

One last question. In the same scenario of travelling at 40 mph, If I see light changing to red up ahead is it wise to downshift to 3rd to slow the car down a bit? Or should I just stay in 4th and press the brakes?

Last edited by fc321; 01-25-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I do that on my motorcycle but I was afraid that would be harmful for the Mirage? My motorcycle has a sequential 6 speed gearbox so when i am in gear 3 .. I am able to upshift to 4, 5 and 6 without using the clutch but I was not aware we could do the same on the Mirage without causing any gear-grinding or slippage
    The mirage has a synchronized transmission and as long as you dont try and ham fist it into the next gear, it can be done without a clutch. But in all honesty it's more of a party trick or emergency thing than something you would use normally.
    You have to do what I said, very slowly and softly push the shifter towards the next gear and when you feel it hit a "wall" just keep slight pressure on it and when the revs fall to the right spot the shifter will push right into the next gear with no grinding

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    One last question. In the same scenario of travelling at 40 mph, If I see light changing to red up ahead is it wise to downshift to 3rd to slow the car down a bit? Or should I just stay in 4th and press the brakes?
    Just use your brakes. It'll be one less time stepping on your clutch pedal, one less time using your throwout bearing, and one less time slipping your clutch.

My 2 cents. Over time it adds up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-25-2019),Pryme (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Just use your brakes. It'll be one less time stepping on your clutch pedal, one less time using your throwout bearing, and one less time slipping your clutch.

My 2 cents. Over time it adds up.
    Exactly. Like I said before, use brakes over clutch. One is much cheaper and easier to do than the other.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Loren,
    . . . . I always downshift and rev match. I always want to be in gear so if someone does something stupid I can get out of the way. I was at a drag strip in CA and I blew a clutch at 11.5 K in my RX-3. I had just installed a new clutch the day before and this was the first time that I had taken it above 9 K. The disc came a part and balled up locking the clutch in the engaged position. I had to drive 150 miles without being able to disengage the clutch. The rev matching comes in real handy when that happens. I tried to catch the lights with out having to come to a stop but I didn't always succeed. Fortunately the engine would start even with the car in gear. Hard on the starter but it works.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!