Thread: Harmful to downshift causing 4k rpm?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post

For extra credit and to try an advanced technique, try upsgifting without the clutch. I used to do it sometimes in my Mustang GT. If you hold the shifter with a bit of pressure against the next gear as you're accelerating it will slide right in when the gears match.

I have not tried with the mirage
    I do that on my motorcycle but I was afraid that would be harmful for the Mirage? My motorcycle has a sequential 6 speed gearbox so when i am in gear 3 .. I am able to upshift to 4, 5 and 6 without using the clutch but I was not aware we could do the same on the Mirage without causing any gear-grinding or slippage.

I thank you all who have commented, your input has really put me on the right track because I am trying to save fuel and to extend the longevity of the car's components as far as possible. It sounds like I was making some mistakes, thank God it is only 15,300 miles on my car so far so I hope I have not caused too much damage with my misguided downshifts into 2nd gear to invoke engine braking. I have done that maybe 40 times total.

One last question. In the same scenario of travelling at 40 mph, If I see light changing to red up ahead is it wise to downshift to 3rd to slow the car down a bit? Or should I just stay in 4th and press the brakes?
    Last edited by fc321; 01-25-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)