Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Was loving my Mirage, but no longer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Its a Mazda2 rated at 29city/35hwy with 100 hp. I would love to see the ideal situation, perhaps a hurricane pushing it in neutral.

My neighbor (just recently retired UW-Madison professor) drove a 2019 Hyundai Accent (130 hp) from Seattle to Wisconsin a few weeks ago. She claims that she got mid-40s mpg most of the trip. She was quite impressed!

I wouldn't stick my neck out very far claiming the Mirage blows away everything else on the road these days.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My neighbor (just recently retired UW-Madison professor) drove a 2019 Hyundai Accent (130 hp) from Seattle to Wisconsin a few weeks ago. She claims that she got mid-40s mpg most of the trip. She was quite impressed!

I wouldn't stick my neck out very far claiming the Mirage blows away everything else on the road these days.
    I had a accent hatch a couple years ago in Colorado as a rental and it got 42.9mpg and we took it up to 12,200 ft during that time. Very impressive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Heck, even my brick-shaped Soul with 165 HP can get mid-30s on the highway, so upper 40s for a lightweight sedan with only 105 HP should be eminently doable under the right conditions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Heck, even my brick-shaped Soul with 165 HP can get mid-30s on the highway, so upper 40s for a lightweight sedan with only 105 HP should be eminently doable under the right conditions.
    Corvettes get 32ish fwy and they have 400+

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Corvettes get 32ish fwy and they have 400+
    I'm constantly miffed at seeing cars with massive amounts of power that have fuel economy that is better than, or at least similar to, my car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    I'm constantly miffed at seeing cars with massive amounts of power that have fuel economy that is better than, or at least similar to, my car.
    At the same time, I get some satisfaction knowing a cheaper Mirage is listed the same highway mpg as the more expensive Prius C. Both cars are listed @ 43 mpg highway.

I really like the Mirage for what it is (affordable, reliable, & economical). I am not really sure what sort of deal can be had on a Prius C, but it seems quite a bit more expensive. Simple & cheap doesn't bother me. Both cars are quite reliable.

Lack of a manual option in a small car is a deal breaker for me. Toyota has gradually lost some of my interest over the years because of that.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-18-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Its a Mazda2 rated at 29city/35hwy with 100 hp. I would love to see the ideal situation
    Doesn't have to be that ideal, I once drove a Prizm about 6 miles in city late at night. It was rated 27/37 and without really trying I got a trip of 50 as seen by a scangauge. Similar distance and conditions but trying to max mpg I've touched 83.5 once in my Mirage, which is rated 33/41.

Darin, does Canada have their own vehicle testing agency? The EPA numbers sure like to sell city mileage short. Like I'd rate 3 cyl Metro and Mirage 55/48 if I had to. Like I drove 13 miles home last winter on a flat tire being lazy and that trip mpg was STILL 32 with all that extra drag. I just don't get it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Doesn't have to be that ideal, I once drove a Prizm about 6 miles in city late at night. It was rated 27/37 and without really trying I got a trip of 50 as seen by a scangauge. Similar distance and conditions but trying to max mpg I've touched 83.5 once in my Mirage, which is rated 33/41.

Darin, does Canada have their own vehicle testing agency? The EPA numbers sure like to sell city mileage short. Like I'd rate 3 cyl Metro and Mirage 55/48 if I had to. Like I drove 13 miles home last winter on a flat tire being lazy and that trip mpg was STILL 32 with all that extra drag. I just don't get it.
    I'd say you're a natural hypermiler, then :P.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

I had an obably saved myself a whole $4 on fuel that week.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 01:06 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I had an 02 dodge truck that said I was getting 99 mpg average. After resetting average. At the top of a mountain pass and coasting for 5-10 mins downhill. That wasn't very accurate though.
    I have gotten the average on the kia as good as 6.7l/100km /35 mpg. That was after trying really hard to drive like an old lady for almost a week. Probably saved myself a whole $4 on fuel that week.
    I can get my Micra from 7.2 to 6ish. That's... $5 a week and my commute takes me roughly a full hour longer.

Yet, I still try, every day to break 6.0

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)