Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Was loving my Mirage, but no longer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    5 days in a row? You can't count the weekend man lol.

3 days here in MN.
    Sorry, meant 5 school days in a row.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sorry, meant 5 school days in a row.
    That doesnt make sense. So you were closed last Friday, mom, Tues, wed and Thursday? No.

Mn schools closed tue-thur. The cold air didnt get here until Tues AM

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    That doesnt make sense. So you were closed last Friday, mom, Tues, wed and Thursday? No.

Mn schools closed tue-thur. The cold air didnt get here until Tues AM
    Friday was close for snow. Monday - Thursday has been for cold. I thought we could of had school on Monday myself, but I don't make that call.

I teach in a very rural district area. Buses have a lot ridge roads to deal with. Even UW-Madison closed for cold some this week, which hardly ever happens.

Sorry, if my original statement wasn't clear. When I said bad stretch of weather, I was including snow &/or cold. Prior to last week, we hadn't had any snow days.

We missed 3-4 days of school at the start of the school year for flooding, too. That has happened a number of times in the past few years. They call them 100 year floods, but it seems like we've had 5 or 6 of them in the past 10 years.

Roads go underwater, landslides block roads, & houses are destroyed. This is some serious stuff! Check out this clip - It's a house by Lake Delton area (part of Wisconsin Dells) about 10 years ago. This is more than a little bit of water causing some damage to your basement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkfhuvOGbmI

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Friday was close for snow. Monday - Thursday has been for cold. I thought we could of had school on Monday myself, but I don't make that call.

I teach in a very rural district area. Buses have a lot ridge roads to deal with. Even UW-Madison closed for cold some this week, which hardly ever happens.

Sorry, if my original statement wasn't clear. When I said bad stretch of weather, I was including snow &/or cold. Prior to last week, we hadn't had any snow days.

We missed 3-4 days of school at the start of the school year for flooding, too. That has happened a number of times in the past few years. They call them 100 year floods, but it seems like we've had 5 or 6 of them in the past 10 years.

Roads go underwater, landslides block roads, & houses are destroyed. This is some serious stuff! Check out this clip - It's a house by Lake Delton area (part of Wisconsin Dells) about 10 years ago. This is more than a little bit of water causing some damage to your basement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkfhuvOGbmI
    Oh okay you guys must have got a bunch of snow Friday. Yeah Mon was not bad at all here so I'm guessing even warmer in WI considering the path of the cold coming down from Canada. The superintendent probably wanted a vacation haha.

That video is crazy. I know the dells is known for water but that's going too far. I love the dells.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    Ok. Here's the deal. I live in the upper Midwest. This morning the temp is -7. My Mirage started just fine. Ran just fine.VW Super Beetle.

My Mirage took 3 efforts to start at 3 AM last night in southern Ontario, Canada nearish Detroit, polar vortex -25 F and C and the digital stuff went all virusy looking. Sound of the USB a-ok so that's cool

Hardest week on the car so far, I'm here to type the tale so I can't really complain... watch for build up of ice around the wheel well bad, and then the car doesn't drive centre... anyway can't complain compared to what others drive... tho it's a bad car for heat, you either get your windshield defrosted, mostly, OR you get mediocre heat for your body and your feet. Or your feet
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-01-2019 at 08:12 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    Eggman, I remember you got triggered before when I would post pros of other small cars...sorry, not trying to upset your egg cart!...I have owned 3 Mitsubishis, have test driven the Mirage numerous times and listened to pros and cons on the web about the car..but I have found that the Yaris really has few flaws other than the often mentioned front end looks, which is very subjective. The quality of the Yaris is superb, the mpg are also top notch even in cold climates. I buy and sell 1-2 cars every couple years and I am actually looking at the 2019 Mirage LE...with the black wheels, red trimmed accents inside...that thing looks hot!

As for temperature/warmer climate...-3 degrees Pennsylvania..opening post mentioned -7 degrees. My Yaris still averaged 49mpg with the manual trans.
    Your Yaris is a rebadged Mazda and there is no way in hell you've ever gotten 49 mpg. C'mon man lying on the internet? It wont fill that void in your soul, unless of course you park a Mirage in it. Name:  1557360336173.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  46.8 KB

Now, now, Dirk.

I have no trouble believing that 49 MPG US is doable with a manual trans in an iA / Yaris / Mazda2 / whatever. In pretty ideal conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Now, now, Dirk.

I have no trouble believing that 49 MPG US is doable with a manual trans in an iA / Yaris / Mazda2 / whatever. In pretty ideal conditions.
    Its a Mazda2 rated at 29city/35hwy with 100 hp. I would love to see the ideal situation, perhaps a hurricane pushing it in neutral.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Its a Mazda2 rated at 29city/35hwy with 100 hp. I would love to see the ideal situation, perhaps a hurricane pushing it in neutral.
    It's a pretty old post and methinks that OP took a instant mpg value and ran with it. If you go on fuelly and look at averages, the Mazda2 isn't delivering anywhere close to that mpg. His last visit to the forum was the day after tossing that little nugget and hasn't been back.
    Last edited by inuvik; 07-17-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: additional info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    It's definitely doable. I have gotten those numbers from a comparable modern 1.6L Nissan 4-banger manual, with a very similar EPA rating.

Ideal conditions means: warm weather, dry roads, no A/C use, moderate speeds, short shifting into top gear ASAP, looking well ahead to avoid braking when possible, and use of neutral coasting or deceleration fuel cut-off in gear depending on which is appropriate for the situation.

That said, a manual Mirage driven in the same manner in the same conditions will be closing in on (or surpassing) 60 mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)