Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was loving my Mirage, but no longer

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Was loving my Mirage, but no longer

Ok. Here's the deal. I live in the upper Midwest. This morning the temp is -7. My Mirage started just fine. Ran just fine. And that is just about the only positive I can give it. The heat in this thing is horrible. Inside temp set to 80 and on high and it would not defrost my windows. Even after an hour on the road, frost covered my inside windows. Those stupid low pressure tire sensors.. Ugh. Yesterday my tires were fine. For the third cold day since I have had my car the tire pressure is low. Oh, no they aren't actually low. Then after months of really good gas mileage, today because I actually used my heater my gas mileage went down to 35mpg! This car has just jumped to the worst car for winter that I have ever owned except for my 1971 rusted out VW Super Beetle.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iriegnome For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The picture I attached is my driver side window. The back door windows are worse. My toes are almost numb because every time I put the fan selector to feet/defrost, my front wind screen fogged up, so it had to stay on defrost mode. And that picture was taken after I parked. 48 miles after my drive started.. I honestly would sell the car and not drive it home.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The temp can be set to 89 so not sure why you set it to 80 when you want max heat.
    Also, you need to have defrost WITH the ac snowflake on for max defrost. And of course make sure its NOT set to recirculate.

The tpms sensor can activate when its extremely cold and then go back off when you start driving, IF your tires are aired to just past the threshold.
    Air them to 35 and be done with it.

Enjoy your car. All cars work the same when it comes to this stuff.
    Last edited by Pryme; 01-25-2019 at 01:49 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-25-2019),iriegnome (01-25-2019),poorman1 (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Also open your side air vents, and point them at the front side widows (driver side and passenger). Then put your control to DEF.
    I usually have the fan set to 2 or 3.
    Hope this helps!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrwhite For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-25-2019),iriegnome (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    If you have your heater controls set to "RECIRC", then set it to fresh...now! Turn the heat up to 85-89. Maybe crack a rear window. Air the tires up to 38.

It doesn't get down that low here very often, but when it does I don't have any of these problems. You are doing something seriously wrong...

I can't r m. Especially w
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 01:08 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwhite View Post
    Also open your side air vents, and point them at the front side widows (driver side and passenger). Then put your control to DEF.
    I usually have the fan set to 2 or 3.
    Hope this helps!!!
    Hello mrwhite and welcome to the forum. Nice first post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mrwhite (01-25-2019),Rockabilly Manta (07-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I've done 4 hour trips across Wisconsin in -20F temperatures, & I didn't sense any issues. My 2017 Mirage ES just has the manual temperature controls. My Mirage is no more or less comfortable than driving my Subaru Forester in the cold. The windows may fog up a little more at first, but I blame that on less air volume in a small car to begin with.

I might add to my original post here. All cars are going to drop in mpg some when it gets that cold. I don't believe buying a more expensive car isn't going to change that.

The subject of faulty heater cores are also popping out. You may want to have your heater core tested, especially if your car is still under warranty.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-25-2019 at 03:52 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    The heat in this thing is horrible. Inside temp set to 80 and on high and it would not defrost my windows. Even after an hour on the road, frost covered my inside windows.
    Are you using a grill block? It's well worth the investment.

Those stupid low pressure tire sensors.. Ugh. Yesterday my tires were fine. For the third cold day since I have had my car the tire pressure is low. Oh, no they aren't actually low.
    Yah, thermal expansion can catch one by surprise. It happened to me this week too.

Then after months of really good gas mileage, today because I actually used my heater my gas mileage went down to 35mpg!
    Yep again - me too.

Cold weather sure challenges one's fortitude.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The windows may fog up a little more at first, but I blame that on less air volume in a small car to begin with.
    That's a great point I have never considered. Combine that with excess moisture in the car from melting snow on the floor mats...and you may have an uphill battle keeping your windows defrosted. We've had so much rain/snow lately, I'm having a hard time keeping the interior humidity level under control. If I don't roll the windows down and let the inside of my car dry out in the garage every night, I would probably have a hard time keeping up with it. Once the windows fog up heavily in below-zero temps, you're hosed because it turns to frost instantly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)