Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compressed air supercharging

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Compressed air supercharging

I was surfing around on Youtube the other day and came across these guys.

http://casupercharging.com/

They build compressed air supercharging systems. Basically, you fill a high pressure tank with air. You use a scuba compressor to fill them to around 3000 psi. That 3000 psi gets regulated down to something more manageable, say 10 psi so you don't blow your engine to smithereens. Then, the system blocks off your normal intake, and runs solely off the compressed air tank for a short period. The idea sounds pretty cool and does have some very nice advantages over other forms of power adders.

Have you guys ever heard of this?

Name:  cas.jpg
Views: 3004
Size:  82.3 KB

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, would that potentially have enough power to spin the engine without spark?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2018),mohammad (06-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nope, it does not spin the engine on the compressed air alone. It uses the compressed air to supercharge the engine. This is just like strapping a turbo or supercharger on, but the air the engine uses is coming only from the tanks, not the ambient air. So, you can basically dial in whatever boost pressure you want.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is an overview of the system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've heard of the idea. I seem to remember that the CFM requirements of an engine rendered it of limited use.

You can easily get lots of 10 psi boost out of a 3000 psi tank... but, there's only so much VOLUME of air you can put into that tank, which limits the amount of time you can effectively use that boost.

If you take this to its logical conclusion, you get NO2 injection. Not just putting "air" into the intake, but concentrated "oxygen", to which you add more fuel... and off you go.

If my rough calculations are correct, the 1.2 Mirage engine should use about 150 CFM at WOT. If we aim to increase that by 50%, we're adding 75 CFM from our tank.

I'm not a diver, but Google says a typical scuba tank holds 80 CF when pressurized to 3,000 psi. So, 80 CF available... using 75 CFM... it might last about a minute.

Good for limited drag racing, I suppose. If you're making 15-second passes, you could make 4 of them.

No free lunch, though. Once you get beyond about 20% over what the engine was designed for, you're going to have to add more fuel somehow.
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2018),Tyrelirwin (12-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent info Loren!

It does look like an 80 cubic foot tank is the 'standard' scuba tank size. However, there are larger ones if you'd like more capacity.

From: https://daniellesdives.wordpress.com...ith-that-tank/

Name:  tanks.png
Views: 2426
Size:  12.2 KB

So, limited capacity is definitely a major downside to a system like this. However, there really doesn't seem to be a ton of other downsides to it that I can see.

There are some upsides as well. #1 is very cold intake air. This not only creates more power, but it also allows you to not retard ignition timing as much which makes even more power. It also has zero parasitic losses compared to a turbo or belted supercharger.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think your calculations are a bit off.

The engine should use ~140cfm at WOT and peak rpm. Most of the time we'll be using less than that due to shifting. However, lets use 140 for worst case calculations .

The tank holds 80 cubic feet.

Lets say we want to hit 100 hp, or ~30% higher than stock horsepower. Sounds like a nice round number to shoot for. This means we need (140 * 1.3 = ) ~180 CFM. This all has to come from the compressed air tank, not just the 40 extra CFM.

Now we need to take 80 / 180 = .44 minutes of run time. This is about 26 seconds.

So, run time is quite limited. Of course, you can always add more or use bigger tanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My calcs weren't intended to be accurate. Just pulled some numbers together and used an online calculator to get close.

I still stand by 20% being as far as you'd want to go without adding more fuel, which means either tuning, or larger injectors, or higher fuel pressure, or aftermarket engine management... or some combination thereof.

So, if you want to get accurate... you're looking at 93.6 hp for a simple "bolt-on" compressed air boost system. The benefit of this over NO2 would be that you could recharge your bottle at home, or even in the car with just an air compressor. (though, I don't know what kind of compressor you need to get to 3,000 psi... maybe you could compromise on that, run a bigger tank with lower pressure?)

And then, do you want to run "some" boost all the time, or do you want it to be throttle-triggered to only activate at full throttle?

And then you can get into the fun stuff... do you want to run an on-board compressor that would run as-needed when you're NOT at WOT (sort of like the AC compressor does) to keep the tank pressurized, and take the FE hit for that... and have the boost available for WOT acceleration when you want it?

It's all neat ideas to play with, but at the end of the day, you'd end up with a lot greater efficiency and power by either fitting a larger engine, or going with a traditional supercharger or turbocharger.
    Simplify and add lightness.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Compressing air creates moisture from the tank right?.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NaimaRaiko For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NaimaRaiko View Post
    Compressing air creates moisture from the tank right?.
    You are right, although moisture is not really created as it is already present in the air being compressed.

As the compressed air cools inside its tank, any water vapor condenses into its liquid state. A proper compressed air tank includes a means to drain this off, making it quite dry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2018)