Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird headlights

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Weird headlights

Hello Mirage owners, I have a stupid question about the headlights: why I cannot turn on the low beam and high beam at the same time? If I turn on the high beam then the low beam will be automatically turned off, but sometimes, I need to keep both them on. Any ideas? Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    I think its a legal requirement in most countries.

If you temporarily need both beams at ther same time, just pull the lever forward and hold it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-28-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, I found that is the only way I can temporally turn on both, but my last car can turn on both high beam and low beam. The high beam of Mirage is really not bright, worse than the low beam. Turn on both of them make it so much bright in the night without roadlights.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I think its a legal requirement in most countries.

If you temporarily need both beams at ther same time, just pull the lever forward and hold it.
    /\ This. /\

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup foama is very correct on that one.. very specific regulations on headlamps..
    country to country, right hand drive vs left hand drive..
    scattered vs direct vs total light output . lol. No fun

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What is the condition of the lights?? If they're cloudy or sand blasted, that can hurt light output. Also how old are the bulbs?? (you don't have the GT, with HID do you? ) as bulbs get older, they seem to loose output. Have you had the aim itself checked or have a lot of Junk in the trunk making the rear sag (& the lights point @ the trees ?? )Just a couple things to check out...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Hello Mirage owners, I have a stupid question about the headlights: why I cannot turn on the low beam and high beam at the same time? If I turn on the high beam then the low beam will be automatically turned off, but sometimes, I need to keep both them on. Any ideas? Thanks!
    The headlight used in the Mirage (Sylvania 9003) has two filaments in the one bulb. Obviously, one filament is the low beam, & the other is the high. By using your high/low beam switch, you are changing where the current flows. Thus, by design it is one filament or the other.

It's not uncommon for the low beam filament to burn out first, because it may get the most use. Especially, if someone likes to drive with their headlights on during the day time.

I suppose it could have been designed where the low beam stays on all the time regardless of the high beam filament being on or not. I am not sure that would benefit things much? It would draw more current at the same time, & your low beams would just burn out faster.

What you are asking for would require three settings (low, low/high, & high). That would be confusing for drivers. Some can't handle what we have now, because I'm sure we have all been approached by cars with high beams still on.

Just curious - Why would you want both high and low beams on at the same time? The only reason I could see a need for that would be in a case where your low beam filament was out in one headlight, and the high beam filament was out in the other. The possibility of that isn't probably that great, but I am sure it has happened to someone.

If your high beam aren't way brighter than your low beam lights, something is definitely wrong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    You could always upgrade to a 80/100 watt bulb over the 55/60 watt standard. This will draw a little less than 10 amps each headlight . You might melt the plastic housing, reflector, wiring or all 3. However the Mirage’s headlight fuse is rated to handle that load so proceed with caution if you do. I’ve thought about it but that’s as far as it’s gotten.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with all above. Before I switched to GT HID headlights, I was always impressed with how great the halogens were. Are you sure else is preventing proper output.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Yeah don't forget to clear the headlights of snow haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-27-2019)