Thread: Bag-in-a-box engine oil

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Bag-in-a-box engine oil

Having the shop I worked with made the switch from underused 500L bulk engine oil containers to a bag-in-a-box engine oil dispensing system, has anyone used that system before during an oil change? And what was your experience using it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    Having the shop I worked with made the switch from underused 500L bulk engine oil containers to a bag-in-a-box engine oil dispensing system, has anyone used that system before during an oil change? And what was your experience using it?
    I'm not familiar with this system you are describing. Can you describe it some more, or do you have any pictures of it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not familiar with this system you are describing. Can you describe it some more, or do you have any pictures of it?
    Here's a video intro about the Shell EcoBox. It's part of a 15-part series:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That looks interesting. It looks like it's designed for shops. I wonder if that will be available to retail consumers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    That looks interesting. It looks like it's designed for shops. I wonder if that will be available to retail consumers?
    If you like wine-in-a-box, you may like your oil in a box? It's basically the same thing. I can't say that I have ever seen or heard of this prior to reading this thread last night.

This first thread starts out by someone claiming Walmart is using them to do oil changes.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...l_in_a_bag/box

Several discussions about this already exist -

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=362326

Bagged milk has been popular where I live for decades, but the bags don't come in a box like wine does. It's just another way to package a product. I could see where mechanic shops that service a variety of vehicle brands might like it.

We carry boxes of oil, but I just use 55 gallon drums with a barrel pump. The boxes of oil are a nice in between if you don't have the space for 55 gallon drums or 250 gallon totes. But I don't know if they are a retail joe thing or shop only.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you like wine-in-a-box, you may like your oil in a box? It's basically the same thing.
    I haven't had box wine in quite some time. I heard it actually is pretty good for the wine. Not sure if it's something you use or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Bagged milk has been popular where I live for decades, but the bags don't come in a box like wine does. It's just another way to package a product.
    I've used bagged milk, but only in institutional settings. I haven't seen bagged milk for retail consumer use, at least around these parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I haven't had box wine in quite some time. I heard it actually is pretty good for the wine. Not sure if it's something you use or not.

I've used bagged milk, but only in institutional settings. I haven't seen bagged milk for retail consumer use, at least around these parts.
    Kwik Trip gas stations are very popular in Wisconsin. They have been selling 1/2 gallon bags of milk for decades. The give you a free pitcher, & the bags just slide inside. When used up, you slide out the bag and replace it with a new one. Cheapest place to buy milk for most towns in Wisconsin. It's extremely popular here! I've use a Kwik Trip card with a $1000 limit for at least 20 years. Everything I buy including gas is discounted.

http://www.bubbaontheroad.com/2018/0...ing-kwik-trip/

I am not much of a wine drinker, but I have friends who don't mind it in a box.

I use my empty oil jugs to store used oil temporarily. Not sure getting used oil back into a box/bag would be as fun/easy!
    Last edited by Mark; 01-28-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I remembered having bagged milk when I was a kid. It's too bad I couldn't find it anywhere in B.C., let alone being sold in cartons and jugs.