Thread: 20-30mpg tops, then rev, then normal?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question 20-30mpg tops, then rev, then normal?

Bought a 2015 DE hatchback. Drove it over a few hundred miles, and still never saw above 35mpg, no matter how I drove it.
    Got the oil changed, air filter, gas to premium, added Marvel Mystery Oil to gas and oil. Still no change, seemed to get about 30-34mpg even resetting the mpg avg readout at 50-55 mph.

Then I wondered if it's actually ever been driven harder than a grandma would. So I slowly put the gas to the floor, got it from 30ish to 80ish mph's the whole time it was obviously lowest gear, so rev'd high until it hit 80's.

Then after doing this twice for a good 20-30 seconds each, I see 40's, 50's and even 65.9 avg mpg.

I've yet to change CVT fluid and it has 43k miles on the engine. Perhaps the previous owner never changed cvt fluid at 30k like the schedule says? Or maybe the engine was gummed up and my attempts have un-gummed it?
    It sounds great, runs smoother after the mmo and changes I've done. Otherwise it's stock.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's something to be said for the ol' Italian Tune-Up. I'd consider running some Seafoam through the intake to clean it out. After that, change the oil again, and change the spark plugs.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sparks and cvt fluid are next on my list. But I can definitely speak for running a car consistently soft and seeing them come back after a bit of high rpm running.
    My 2nd car is a decked out miata but I'm trying to not drive this one hard! lol

You sure must want a lot of attention drawn to this thread!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The more the merrier! I was getting pretty frustrated after buying this "new" and not seeing anywhere near the 44mpg lol

All I can suggest is make sure the tires are inflatted properly, clean air filter, make sure brakes aren't dragging(doubtful). What kind of terrain/temperature you drive in and the thing between the steering wheel and seat has a lot to do with economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the IT world we call it a PEBKAC error. Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungpaoshizi For This Useful Post:

yujinius (07-24-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
    In the IT world we call it a PEBKAC error. Problem exists between keyboard and chair.
    Thank heaven our cars are not controlled by Microshaft software!

Seriously, if a car is never run higher than about 2500 rpm, it can happen that the piston rings will stick to the pistons, rather than the outward-pushing spring force of the rings sealing the gap between cylinder and piston.
    An "Italian tune-up" can cure such otherwise inexplanable low compression, quite seriously,
    Last edited by foama; 07-14-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Bought a 2015 DE hatchback. Drove it over a few hundred miles, and still never saw above 35mpg, no matter how I drove it.
    Got the oil changed, air filter, gas to premium, added Marvel Mystery Oil to gas and oil. Still no change, seemed to get about 30-34mpg even resetting the mpg avg readout at 50-55 mph.

Then I wondered if it's actually ever been driven harder than a grandma would. So I slowly put the gas to the floor, got it from 30ish to 80ish mph's the whole time it was obviously lowest gear, so rev'd high until it hit 80's.

Then after doing this twice for a good 20-30 seconds each, I see 40's, 50's and even 65.9 avg mpg.

I've yet to change CVT fluid and it has 43k miles on the engine. Perhaps the previous owner never changed cvt fluid at 30k like the schedule says? Or maybe the engine was gummed up and my attempts have un-gummed it?
    It sounds great, runs smoother after the mmo and changes I've done. Otherwise it's stock.

The Mirage’s 3A92’s engine needs a “Italian Tuneup” every so often. I run mmo in all my vehicles about once a month. I put in 8 ounces in the Mirage (which is higher than the directions state) and run it harder than normal making sure I get at least one or two WOT with that tank. You might consider a bottle of Techron to run through also. These little engines need to be pushed every so often to clear them out. After all this is a 1200cc 4 valve per cylinder double overhead cam with a timing chain. You can’t over rev it with the CVT. Put it “B”, mash the throttle and upshift into “D” at 60 mph (seriously). I personally wouldn’t worry about the CVT unless the fluid is dark. I would just do a filter and fluid change around 60k but that’s just me.
    Last edited by inuvik; 07-14-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Obviously then you got to let that 3 pot under your hood rev a bit! My Mirage can take some spirited driving. I usually shift down... but the Mirage can take 4-5k rpm, makes some noise.

But idling my Mirage is almost silent, with almost no vibration.. I get 45 mpg all the time, since new, so I'm doing something right.

Regular gas, regular oil changes, regular psi for the tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)