Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CVTransmission Failure. P0796, Limp Mode

This is what it'd look like if there actually was an interchange and they had a proper interchange.Attachment 13795 I worked with the exact interchange system for 14 years. Car-part is just a website so public joe blow can look up stuff online rather than calling around. They use the eden/hollander system for the interchange.

Hope I don't come across as too much of a dink but that could screw a lot of people if they don't know how to properly use that site.

I stole this from http://car-part.com/buyerfaq.htm

Why am I asked to choose a year range?

If the part you are searching for does not have interchange, you will be asked if you want to search for your exact model or search for parts in similar models. At this stage you must also specify a year range. The year range default will be only the year you searched for. If you know that another model year will also fit your needs, you can expand the year range search. Prior to buying your part, you may want to contact the recycler to verify this is the correct part for your vehicle.

How will I know which year range to search?

You may have personal knowledge of which parts will work for you, you may have a crash guide (such as Mitchell or Motor), or you may have an interchange manual (Hollander® or Mitchell) that contains the year and the range interchangeability. Car-Part.com has interchangeability built into the search engine using Hollander Interchange®.

Last edited by Fummins; 01-30-2019 at 02:35 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (02-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Be the first to find out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Just curious, had you been changing cvt fluid on the service schedule intervals?
    Yes, I've been quite good about it. As Fummins has given evidence of at various times, these CVTs just don't last much past 275,000kms. I think the longest lasting on record was the one that blew at 309,000. Unless anyone has a Mirage with more on the original CVT?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Put a small funnel on the dipstick tube.
    Ok. So you can only drain 3 quarts from the pan, but you can add all you need (7ish quarts) through the dipstick tube?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Ok. So you can only drain 3 quarts from the pan, but you can add all you need (7ish quarts) through the dipstick tube?

Out of curiosity, did you change the cvt fluid at the specified intervals prior to it failing? No judgment, just trying to get a handle on why these jatco 7 go south.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the trans is completely empty, then yes, 7 through the dipstick tube. Otherwise you only add what was drained.
    (blank signature)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-01-2019),Tyrelirwin (02-04-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you change the cvt fluid at the specified intervals prior to it failing? No judgment, just trying to get a handle on why these jatco 7 go south.
    Yes, I was pretty good about all that. I did 2x drain/fill every 50,000kms or so. Didn't swap any filters, however.

Fummins has mentioned the Thrust Bearing/Washer tends to be the choke point, I believe.

I think I have a 2017 Nissan with a junk cvt at 80k kms. Yay for jatco cvt's

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I was pretty good about all that. I did 2x drain/fill every 50,000kms or so. Didn't swap any filters, however.

Fummins has mentioned the Thrust Bearing/Washer tends to be the choke point, I believe.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I've read about the thrust washer. Really does seem like the problem is poor design nissan/jatco cvt's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (02-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

waiting for better weather...

@Fummins: I haven't sourced one yet, I'm a little reluctant until this weather clears up. My garage isn't heated. Brrr.