Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVTransmission Failure. P0796, Limp Mode

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thumbs up CVTransmission Failure. P0796, Limp Mode

Well, it finally happened.

After a month or two of dealing with a steadily worsening transmission situation, my CVT finally left me stranded.

At the end of my 100km commute, I stopped at a light and it wouldn't go again.

I ended up getting it into my work parking lot by shifting to 'B', but not before the Gear Indicator started blinking.

I'm at 281,100kms on my 2014

When I scanned with my OBDII once parked,

it gave me code P0796, "Pressure Control Solenoid "c" Performance/Stuck Off"

I'd ask for your thoughts on how to fix it, but I know a news transmission is in my future.

Is there any stop-gap method to temporarily fix this/get it out of limp mode so I can get it 100kms home?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man that is no good. I think that's the code fummis gets on his bad cars, so no I don't think there is an easy fix.

Dont you have free roadside with insurance?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Man that is no good. I think that's the code fummis gets on his bad cars, so no I don't think there is an easy fix.

Dont you have free roadside with insurance?
    No roadside assistance. I have basic AMA, but it only covers a short tow, like 10 miles or something. I'm 60 miles from home. It might be staying here (at my work) until I can wrangle a trailer to borrow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im sorry to hear of your predicament. Im surprised the roadside assistance plan (towing) that you get for free with Mitsubishi in the first 5 years only covers 10 miles.

Someone else chime in but I think its bad for the car to tow it with a rope in Neutral.

Update: Yes, i looked it up, a definate no-no.

Name:  index.238.gif
Views: 2574
Size:  12.5 KB

Comic Relief: I wish I could find the YouTube video of a dimwit that tried to use 2 floor dollies as towing dollies: (THe wood snapped immediately under the car's weight.)

Name:  ProSeries-16-x-16-250.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by fc321; 01-28-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Im sorry to hear of your predicament. Im surprised the roadside assistance plan (towing) that you get for free with Mitsubishi in the first 5 years only covers 10 miles.

Someone else chime in but I think its bad for the car to tow it with a rope in Neutral.
    I can't tell if you're being condescending or you just didn't read his post.
    I've only used the mitsubishi roadside towing once when a car 60 miles from the nearest dealer didn't start and it was pretty new at the time. Otherwise the only time's our car's have needed a tow was when they were way past warranty anyways and we didn't want them towed to the dealer(what's the point) or they were in an accident.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Im surprised the roadside assistance plan (towing) that you get for free with Mitsubishi in the first 5 years only covers 10 miles.
    Sorry, you misunderstood. A separate opt-in program tows me 15 or so kms, fixes flats, boosts batteries, etc.

As for a Mitsu warranty, I bought the car January 25th, 2014.... so my five years are JUST up.

But as Fummins said, going to a delatership doesn't really help me.

Fummins: Is that the 'code of death'? Did my thrust washer/bearing likely frag and trash my whole unit? I know we can't be sure without a dissection, of course. But best guess?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post

Fummins: Is that the 'code of death'? Did my thrust washer/bearing likely frag and trash my whole unit? I know we can't be sure without a dissection, of course. But best guess?
    That is one of the codes that came up on the first cvt failure I saw. You'd get a pretty good idea what's going on if you pull the oil pan and filter out and take a look. Just need a 10mm and an extension, you can usually push the plastic shield out of the way enough to get to the front pan bolts.

2 out of the 2 cvt's that we had fail(still moved but basically undrivable) had the thrust washer piled up. They acted like they were in direct drive, there was no slipage, if you weren't moving it would stall out when put into gear.

The third one was just making a noise and the dealer just replaced the entire unit under warranty.

You sure managed to limp it along for a while though, I wouldn't have chanced it for that long. With my luck it'd die while trying to make a sketchy left turn.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (01-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Update: Yes, i looked it up, a definate no-no.

Name:  index.238.gif
Views: 2574
Size:  12.5 KB

Comic Relief: I wish I could find the YouTube video of a dimwit that tried to use 2 floor dollies as towing dollies: (THe wood snapped immediately under the car's weight.)

Name:  ProSeries-16-x-16-250.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  9.6 KB
    You could damage the transmission if you tow it with a rope

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    As for a Mitsu warranty, I bought the car January 25th, 2014.... so my five years are JUST up.
    That's to bad your 5 years are up by a few days. It's 5 years/unlimited miles roadside assistance in the U.S. Then again, I don't know if it was this way in 2014-15?

covered services include the following:
    Towing to the nearest Mitsubishi dealer or other approved service point if your vehicle is not drivable
    Emergency fuel and fluid delivery
    Jump starts in the event of a dead battery
    Exchange of a flat tire with your inflated spare
    Lockout assistance to gain entry into your vehicle
    Mechanical "first aid" for minor roadside repairs or adjustments

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry, I wasnt reading the post correctly. I thought he was talking about pulling it with a rope,

Disregard.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)