Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you bought or test-driven a Mirage / Space Star? Tell us about it!

Have you bought or test-driven a Mirage / Space Star? Tell us about it!

After Alpha_One posted a throrough review of his brand new Mirage, we got the idea to create a dedicated sub-forum for reviews & test drive impressions by forum members themselves.

After all, mainstream media reviews tend to be written overwhelmingly by male gearheads with a tendency to focus on POWWWAAAAAHHH! & tenacious handling. More than anything, those reviewers crave press trips where they get to thrash sporty, expensive cars down windy roads and around race tracks... and they don't have to foot the bill!

But real-world motorists don't necessarily share the obsessions of motoring journalists. (For proof, just look at most countries' top-selling vehicles -- you'll find they're generally not the models the journalists rave about.)

That's what this new sub-forum is for: reviews by forum members who have weighed the pros and cons and actually put up their own hard-earned money to get one. (Or are considering getting one.)

----

If you're wondering what to write, Alpha_One's review is a good example to follow: a list of pros & cons; other vehicles you have considered; things you wish were different or better about the car. Maybe there is one particular thing that drew you to the car, or pushed you away.

Or feel free to choose your own style, and thanks for sharing it here!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

(Just one other note: don't post your review as a reply inside this thread - start a new thread.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That is a great idea Darin. I'd much rather hear from an actual owner of the vehicle than some professional car reviewer.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Thanks MetroMPG!

Hey, at any rate, I'm also a male gearhead! Except that if I were a Top Gear presenter, I'd be a lot closer to nerdy James May than Jeremy "Powwwwaaaaahhh!!!" Clarkson. Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that James May also happens to be fond of unpretentious cheap little cars like the Fiat Panda and the Dacia Sandero.

I appreciate power and handling as any other male gearhead, but I need some city runabout that is easy to park, doesn't cost an arm and leg to run and can carry a bunch of people and groceries every now and then.

Being a gearhead with an engineering background, I'm also discerning when picking cheap cars. I appreciate well-thought out design and good engineering and certainly go beyond the "appliance factor". For example, I think the Honda Jazz (Fit) is awesome, but you wouldn't catch me dead buying a Toyota Vios (Yaris sedan) for example.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; 01-22-2013 at 08:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

EtotheZ (03-27-2013)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Alpha One you and i are much the same with respect to cars.

I myself have been called "Captain Slow" by friends & acquaintances - definitely a minority character in the world of gearheads.

I would judge this forum a roaring success if it filled up with Captain Slows. (Early indicators are good! )

But at some point I predict we'll also have a thread about adding a turbo and a fart-can muffler to a 6th gen Mirage, and that's OK too.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    My completely non-gearhead girlfriend, a lovely woman whose criteria for judging a good car are what it looks like and whether it's equipped with a vanity mirror, drives faster than me! "Captain Slow" indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    But at some point I predict we'll also have a thread about adding a turbo and a fart-can muffler to a 6th gen Mirage, and that's OK too.
    There's also the LED lights, "I wanna replace my spare tyre with a subwoofer" crowd.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; 01-22-2013 at 09:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    There was mention made in an Oz article about Mitsu doing a sporty Mirage with Turbo. So may get a factory option someday.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Totally agree with sir Alpha one's comments.. But i can describe the mirage with one word/name "GOLDILOCKS"... the car is not very pretty, but it is definitely not ugly. The car is not as spacious as a sedan, but it is still i can say the car is pretty spacious. The car is not fast, but it is not slow also,(considering its small size, it can fit in very small places and gaps) the car is very warm and welcoming to owners and enthusiasts alike, the appeal is very high (it impresses women for some reason), it sips on gas as if it was just tasting it bits by bits, and driving the car is such a pleasure for drivers because of its soft steering and great handling or maybe im just being biased . All i can say is that it has a heart of a champ and right now i can say the Mirage is just perfectly "right"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EtotheZ For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-27-2013)

That's a really good summary. Hope you don't mind, I copied your post to a dedicated thread (and added a little formatting): Mirage GLS M/T - the GOLDILOCKS car

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

EtotheZ (03-27-2013)