Thread: Have you bought or test-driven a Mirage / Space Star? Tell us about it!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by w5jsn View Post
    It is a case of divine intervention.

I have a cheap acre of land in the middle of nowhere about 30mi from my work and 160mi from my home. I had a big gas-guzzling SUV that I used for daily trips to work and weekly trips home, but I was dying for the fuel bills. I did some research and found that the Mirage was the closest thing to a modern Geo Metro in terms of economy, so I began my hunt. I found a 2015 Mirage in Albuquerque at a car dealership and called them, but they said they had no such car and asked where I heard that they did. "You advertised it on your web site!" I said, but they said that couldn't be true. I figured they might be confused so i took a trip to the big city and checked out their lot - sure enough, no 2015 Mirage. I was already in town anyway, so I checked at nearby car lots. One lot was small and dark, closed hours before, but I took a cusory look and no Mirages. I was walking away when something told me to look a little harder. Sure enough, way in the back, buried behind beat-up trade-ins, I found a red 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage! (God has better inventory than the internet!) I went back to my acre for the night.

The next day at work, I went to the little car lot's website. Plenty of cars listed but no Mirage found. I called them and worked through there broken audiotext system, finally got a human, and they swore that there was no Mirage on their lot. I gave them their own stock number off of the car windshield and the lady said she would dig into it and call me back. A few hours later, I got the call and she said that they did have a Mirage and that I could have it for US$7500. I said I would come and test-drive it that evening.

Turns out the little guy had 98000mi on him already and I was a bit depressed. The price seemed high, but I knew that was the economical yet kinda high-clearance car that I needed (and fast). I hemmed and hawed over the price and they took it down a little. I needed to call my bank to make sure I could withdraw the full amount that night, but the banker said the people that could make that happen had already gone home for the night. I shrugged at the car salesman and walked away.

The next morning, I got away from work and went back to the car lot. They came down to $6900 and the deal was made! God must like Mirages or me, but I have one now and am going to see how it acts on corrugated dirt roads and a bit of outback cow trails to my acre. Trusting in God that it will work out!
    Welcome, these are tough little cars. I like turtles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-07-2021)