Thread: Shifting Issues (MT)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Shifting Issues (MT)

First off I'm new here but have been a lurker for a while. I've got an 18 Mirage ES 5 speed manual with just under 10k miles on it. It's been a great car so far and I look forward to contributing to the forum in the future.

Now with that out of the way. I suddenly have been having an issue with my transmission. The type of traffic I deal with on my city is an unusual mix of way too many cars all travelling double the speed limit. We all know the car is a little underpowered and there are times where we have to get on it pretty good to get out into traffic from a side road without getting slammed in the rear. I know how to rev match, I used to race cars and I also was a trucker for a few years so driving stick is not new to me.

So a couple days ago I was trying to get out onto a busy road. I was heading home from work, with an extremely painful kidney stone, so I probably wasn't sitting quite the same as I normally would be and also wasn't exactly in the clearest state of mind due to the pain I was in. The car and trans were fully warmed up (It's still hot down here in FL). I finally got an opening to pull out onto the main road, this time as well as normally, I give it about 3/4 throttle, shifting around 5000rpms with quick but gentle shifts to get up to about 65mph (typical traffic speed is about 75 on this road).

Anyway I don't know if I just was being uncoordinated or if my arm was out of alignment from my normal muscle memory but when I was going to third I either hit the gate area between 3rd and 5th or I hit third but was already kinda off the clutch. Anyway I got a light grind and quickly pulled it back into the neutral area and the attempted the shift, this time proper and normal. I feel like 99.99% of the time this happens to a driver, it kind of startles you (or snaps your attention to it) and you correct it and go about life. However for whatever reason I started having trouble getting it into gear after. It felt like every gear had an extra, second notch to get into gear and if you let off the clutch in the first catch it would grind. Sometimes now I have to skip a gear because it just refuses to go to maybe 2nd of I have to try going to 5th an extra time. At first I thought maybe something in the linkage got messed up.

Now there's another thing I didnt notice right away but if I'm in reverse the car feels jerky. If I park on a hill, clutch pressed down and in reverse gear and let the car roll back from gravity I feel an odd pulse in the cars rolling motion and also hear a metallic clank probably every full turn of the wheels. If I'm in first with clutch in, or neutral with clutch in or out and roll back I don't get anything. The pulsing feels sort of like when you went giving it quite enough gas backing up and it lightly bucks as it tries to tractor at idle rpm. One other thing I notice maybe once every 3 or 4 stops, if i come to a full stop in 1st gear with the clutch in, as the cars motion just stops, it feels like the car wants to lurch forward for a moment. It's very light, sort of like if you were stopping and had the clutch like 95% disengaged.

Before I take it to the dealer (huge hassle if its something I can do myself, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just haven't dealt with FWD transaxles and linkages much). I also am about broke at the moment so I don't want to get a huge bill from a dealer unexpectedly deciding it's not warranty or something along those lines. Sorry for the length, just wanted to be thorough.

Cliff notes:
    *Botched a shift to third, nothing extreme or overly abusive.
    *Car now feels like the shifter and trans aren't in harmony with each other
    *Sometimes hard to get into certain gears, a lot more notchiness
    *Weird clanking noise and bucking rolling backwards in reverse with clutch on floor but not if in neutral or a forward gear.
    *Moneys tight, would prefer to fix myself unless this is something major.
    *I am extremely grateful for any help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DimensionTheory For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You sure the clutch was fully depressed when you went for your quick shifting to accelerate to 65? If it's not fully depressed you would naturally get a grind.

I hope you didnt bend/damage a synchro.

Just for reference, I dont think I've ever shifted the Mirage at 5k rpm. Usually I shift at 2,200-2,800

Welcome to the forum!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Since you bought it brand new and still have the factory warranty simply take it to your dealer and state “ I was driving home from work and the transmission feels and sounds weird and it makes this noise in reverse and doesn’t shift properly now”. Factually correct. The underlying circumstances are irrelevant and frankly I wouldn’t “burden” the service writer with extraneous information.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DimensionTheory View Post
    Truth be told unfortunately...sounds like a mehanical tranny issue. Don't want to stress you out but you might have to face the facts no point dallying around it.

I have 110,000 kms on my manual Mirage, and no issues but nothing is strong as superman unfortunately. I'd get it fixed before it could add to new issues. Not sure if it will be covered under warranty but my buddy has a Traverse and it had tranny issues, the chev dealer replaced the tranny, free of charge 100%, and they replaced it even as he was the 2nd owner (was still under warranty I think)

Things to note for you in the future: getting into reverse is a pain in the Mirage, and reverse up an incline good luck stalls super easy

3rd into second can be jerky

I got some dash rattles pretty quickly otherwise drives straight as an arrow

I have loads of forklift truck experience so I am no mechanic but I know a few things about what isn't right. Too bad life has its turns but don't get glum see if you can talk your way into what my friend did with their Traverse

Might be your Clutch needing replaced.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-26-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: fixed quotation bracket

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Cliff notes:
    *Weird clanking noise and bucking rolling backwards in reverse with clutch on floor but not if in neutral or a forward gear.
    Given what you have shared, I would take it to a Mitsubishi dealership. Just make it clear that you don't approve of anything being done beyond warranty work without your approval first, & I may ask for that in writing, too.

Given your mileage (& maybe age of the car), bumper-to-bumper warranties are a little above & beyond for the 1st year & 12,000 miles. I will paste what the website says below. Regardless of the outcome, I would have them determine the problem asap. All of us guessing what might be wrong isn't going to help your cause. Good luck!

"In addition to the warranties listed above, every new Mitsubishi also comes with Restraint System coverage for seat belts and airbags of 5 years or 60,000 miles under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, along with 12 months/12,000 miles coverage for adjustments; if required as a result of a manufacturing defect."

I probably wouldn't mention shifting @ 5000 rpm. That does seem pretty excessive for this car. I also find myself shifting around 2500-3000 rpm the majority of the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    First off I'm new here but have been a lurker for a while. I've got an 18 Mirage ES 5 speed manual with just under 10k miles on it. It's been a great car so far and I look forward to contributing to the forum in the future.
    Hello DimensionTheory and welcome to the forum.

Now with that out of the way. I suddenly have been having an issue with my transmission. The type of traffic I deal with on my city is an unusual mix of way too many cars all travelling double the speed limit. We all know the car is a little underpowered and there are times where we have to get on it pretty good to get out into traffic from a side road without getting slammed in the rear. I know how to rev match, I used to race cars and I also was a trucker for a few years so driving stick is not new to me.
    Cool introduction. You'll have to tell us more about your days racing. I know racing's a real blast.

...At first I thought maybe something in the linkage got messed up.
    Consider doing a quick check of the shift cables at the transaxle before taking it in. Easy to see and reach. It is my understanding the cables connect to the transaxle shift mechanism using a sort of ball and socket connection. The service manual refers to this as the Transaxle Control. Perform a close visual inspection of the gear shift and select cables and their connection, and also see if there has been any deformation to the gear shift or select linkage/levers. Again, easy to see and reach and hopefully, any problems will be readily apparent.

I *suppose* it could also be a damaged internal shift mechanism, or possible bent shift fork but not bloody likely for all gears.

Now there's another thing I didnt notice right away but if I'm in reverse the car feels jerky. If I park on a hill, clutch pressed down and in reverse gear and let the car roll back from gravity I feel an odd pulse in the cars rolling motion and also hear a metallic clank probably every full turn of the wheels. If I'm in first with clutch in, or neutral with clutch in or out and roll back I don't get anything. The pulsing feels sort of like when you went giving it quite enough gas backing up and it lightly bucks as it tries to tractor at idle rpm. One other thing I notice maybe once every 3 or 4 stops, if i come to a full stop in 1st gear with the clutch in, as the cars motion just stops, it feels like the car wants to lurch forward for a moment. It's very light, sort of like if you were stopping and had the clutch like 95% disengaged.

Before I take it to the dealer (huge hassle if its something I can do myself, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just haven't dealt with FWD transaxles and linkages much). I also am about broke at the moment so I don't want to get a huge bill from a dealer unexpectedly deciding it's not warranty or something along those lines. Sorry for the length, just wanted to be thorough.
    So using your clutch changes the symptoms - this is interesting.

There have been a couple reports of clutch damper spring failures that I suspect might be related to your symptoms, but I'm not sure that applies here.

Cliff notes:
    I say it's time to schedule an appointment with your favorite service department. Look for reviews online to see which ones are cool and which ones are jerks.

Not sure what part of FL you are in - I know we have a couple forum members down there who might be able to offer some advice and support, if only to provide their experience with service departments. And thanks for sharing your general location - sometimes stuff like that helps us help you.

Sorry for your health and financial situation - here's hoping things get back on track for you soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)