Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Additive Comparison

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like Scotty but,, I wouldn't take that away from his video..
    sea foam = decarboner.. ok I agree with that statement.. But...for 1940s technology?
    My wife's GMC Acadia was direct inject.. they suffer from carbon buildup and have to be taken to the dealer for decarboning..
    Techtron will clean the injectors but would do nothing for the build up on the valves..
    Different products for different problems..
    sea foam in the brake booster hose makes a huge difference ..
    I would not say any one of the three are better..than the other..
    Each has its application...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    I like Scotty but,, I wouldn't take that away from his video..
    sea foam = decarboner.. ok I agree with that statement.. But...for 1940s technology?
    My wife's GMC Acadia was direct inject.. they suffer from carbon buildup and have to be taken to the dealer for decarboning..
    Techtron will clean the injectors but would do nothing for the build up on the valves..
    Different products for different problems..
    sea foam in the brake booster hose makes a huge difference ..
    I would not say any one of the three are better..than the other..
    Each has its application...

A-Aron - I appreciate all your good points in this post and in the previous one. I was going to mention that earlier today, but I got distracted with something else. I was just generalizing about some of Scotty's points, & how they may apply to my situation. My situation probably goes beyond cars somewhat. I like to keep things running. I don't agree with everything Scotty says entirely most times, but I do find the dude entertaining! If I followed Scotty religiously, I wouldn't be on this forum because I would be driving a Toyota.

Sea Foam has been around for a long time, & stores stock a lot of it yet. Thus, people must be buying it. It's good to understand why? Thus, I asked the question about these products. You go down the aisle where these products are sold, & it can be overwhelming.

As far as small engines go, using non-ethanol gas is the number one best thing a person can do in my mind. Thanks again for your input! Much appreciated!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's funny it came out around WWII. I heard that MMO was originally designed to free up stuck pistons in tanks around that time.
    I see people swear by the stuff for seized engines. Another post I started to postulate the differences of turpentine vs kerosene. I bet one might be more beneficial in gas vs oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Moved these posts to a new thread.

It's a good question that deserves some space of it's own, and should help make future searches for this info easier.
    If you were testing these three products side-by-side for a science fair project, the guy in the clip below has done the work for you. Very well done test of all three products using a lawnmower engine, which is much easier to tear apart & clean between each test.

Is Techron better than Seafoam? Let's see the proof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPdz6BMj8EA

If interested, you can watch & draw you own conclusions. Keep in mind - he's not testing an engine with fuel injectors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (01-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you were testing these three products side-by-side for a science fair project, the guy in the clip below has done the work for you. Very well done test of all three products using a lawnmower engine, which is much easier to tear apart & clean between each test.

Is Techron better than Seafoam? Let's see the proof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPdz6BMj8EA

If interested, you can watch & draw you own conclusions. Keep in mind - he's not testing an engine with fuel injectors.
    Interesting video, Mark. I would thank you for posting it.

It makes me wonder though - that engine was pretty dirty from the start. Did subsequent treatments benefit from the previous treatment? I can't see why not, but I may be missing something.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting vid! Though what are we to do then if plain gas has the least amount of deposits?? We can't pull the engine apart like that every time..

I do know in my miata the cam section is sparkling clean after several hundreds of miles with an additive as compared to when it was not in there. Perhaps degradation in combustion is different than in engine oil.