Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: -18 F and falling.....Mirage trudges on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

-18 F and falling.....Mirage trudges on.

So its -18F right now and tomorrow morning is supposed to be -27

Name:  71603.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  94.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hasn't dropped below -7 this week in Iowa, though I wonder what it is with the windchill.
    Haven't had a problem starting mine even though a few days ago Walmart said my battery was bad at ~225CCA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
    Hasn't dropped below -7 this week in Iowa, though I wonder what it is with the windchill.
    Haven't had a problem starting mine even though a few days ago Walmart said my battery was bad at ~225CCA
    I live in SW Wisconsin (Driftless Region of the World). Not all that far from the Twin Cities area & The Earth (Iowa)!

My weather app is forecasting a low of -29F tonight & -35F tomorrow night. If I needed justification for purchasing an engine block heater last week & installing it on Saturday, I think I got it! I'm sleeping in, however. One perk of being a teacher when school is cancelled.

The winter had been really mild. That has drastically changed in both snow & temperature the past couple weeks. Be safe & stay warm everyone!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Looking forward to the subzero drive into work in the morning. I have my thermometers ready to measure how well my heater isn't working.

I need to collect some good temperature data this winter so I can tell if it's worse next winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Looking forward to the subzero drive into work in the morning. I have my thermometers ready to measure how well my heater isn't working.

I need to collect some good temperature data this winter so I can tell if it's worse next winter.
    I should use my infrared thermometer to check vent temps. I've had zer issues though. Even this cold I have the fan about half way up only.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I live in SW Wisconsin (Driftless Region of the World). Not all that far from the Twin Cities area & The Earth (Iowa)!

My weather app is forecasting a low of -29F tonight & -35F tomorrow night. If I needed justification for purchasing an engine block heater last week & installing it on Saturday, I think I got it! I'm sleeping in, however. One perk of being a teacher when school is cancelled.

The winter had been really mild. That has drastically changed in both snow & temperature the past couple weeks. Be safe & stay warm everyone!
    Lacrosse?

My block heater is my garage lol. It was still 17f in my insulated garage this morning. I'm betting only about 12-13 tomorrow though

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It was -26F when I left for work this morning. The block heater had the engine up to maybe 75F. It was hard to say. My scangauge was so cold that the LCD screen wasn't really readable for a few minutes. It took a bit longer to warm up, but I got decent heat after a couple miles.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I don't think it's ever been that cold this winter over here. It's only 0c/32F here today. But there's a chance we might have a foot of snow on the way

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I've had zero issues though. Even this cold I have the fan about half way up only.
    When you run the fan at lower speeds, it helps the distribution of heat inside the HVAC case and you get more even temperatures from the vents. I have found that running the fan at lower speeds can mask the symptoms of a restricted heater core.

Crank up the fan to high and any deficiency on the passenger side will quickly show up. With a coolant temperature approaching 200F and an ambient temp of 0F, I was lucky to get 80F air out of the passenger side vent with the fan on high. The driver's side vent was 45+ degrees warmer (but still not really "warm"). I've got a definite problem...it's just not as advanced as Doax's...yet.

Anyone who lives in a cold climate and owns a Mirage should do themselves a favor and check the vent output temperatures with the heat on full blast. You might be surprised to find out your car has symptoms of a restricted heater core.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It is supposed to be a horrifically frigid +53 today. Oddly warm for this time of year.