Thread: 2015 hatchback de tpms?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2015 hatchback de tpms?

So I've not seen the light on the dash, but it seems the valve stems are not smooth round. This means the tpms is installed?
    I had one tire register 26 psi and don't recall seeing a light. Or is there a way to find out if maybe it was disabled?
    Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
    ...it seems the valve stems are not smooth round. This means the tpms is installed
    Look closely at your valve stems. Rubber TPMS valve stems (VS-90) have a little "ridge" or raised area in one spot, like the one below on the right...

Name:  stems.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  28.1 KB

I had one tire register 26 psi and don't recall seeing a light.
    If you want to trigger the light for sure, do this:

1. Deflate one tire below 26 PSI...maybe drop it down to 20 PSI.
    2. Drive the car at least 15 mph. The light should turn on once the vehicle speed reaches a certain MPH (I think it's 15mph)

Yes...I have done this trick in my own car just because I wanted to see my TPMS light come on. You have to drive the vehicle to trigger the light. Just dropping the PSI in one tire and starting the car (without moving) won't do it.

Edit - If you think your TPMS system isn't active, just watch the TPMS light when you first start the car. If it illuminates for a few seconds, it's working.

Name:  light.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  27.2 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-01-2019 at 07:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
    So I've not seen the light on the dash, but it seems the valve stems are not smooth round. This means the tpms is installed?
    I had one tire register 26 psi and don't recall seeing a light. Or is there a way to find out if maybe it was disabled?
    Thanks!
    I wouldn't mind having my entire TPMS disabled, but I don't need to go down that road. If your car isn't reading all four sensors, the dash light should come on. Top_Fuel suggestion of letting some air out is good. Do it somewhere near an air compressor (like on the way to the gas station). Another alternative (more of a pain) would be putting your spare tire on. If the spare tire is on the car, the dash light should come on, too. If the dash light doesn't come on, your entire system is disabled. If one sensor is bad or tire pressure is low, your dash light should come on.

When I take off a pair of tires with sensors & add a pair without sensors (which is presently on my car), it takes about 4-5 miles of driving down the road before the TPMS dash light comes on & stays on after the initial tire switch. For the first 4-5 miles, nothing will show up. After that first time, the dash light flashes ever time the car starts & then stays on. It the same for both my Mirage & Forester. When I go back to all four sensors on the car, they are recognized fairly quick & things are back to normal.

When I had a factory tire go flat (sidewall issue) on the road @ 15,000 last summer, I realized something was up long before the TPMS light came on. The TPMS dash light coming on was an afterthought. TPMS are good at letting you know when you have a slow leak, like picking up a nail/screw. Outside of that, I could live without them.

Last edited by Mark; 02-02-2019 at 12:51 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-01-2019)