Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wet floor

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    As a warning to others to keep this issue in mind, here's what will happen from chronically wet carpets:

Before, driver's footwell:

Attachment 14377

Cutting back to good metal:

Attachment 14378

Patches welded in, driver's side front & rear:

Attachment 14379

That's my $1k beater Miata, which was never winter driven! All that damage was caused by wet carpets & underlay due to a drippy convertible top.
    This looks a lot like my ancient Tacoma! Got the floor all cut back to clean metal just need some warm days so I can start welding....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just got rid of a Saab with a rotted spare tire well and holes in the driver and passenger floor, all from various water leaks. The car had other issues as well so I decided not to sink time and $$$ into it that I’d never get back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ed100 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-15-2019)

I'd love to see that Taco project - post a thread in the lounge if you're taking pics.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

More fun. Just had to go Jerry rig this car in a parking lot so I could drive it back. Wouldn’t start, shifter wouldn’t release.

Attachment 22918its a bit nastier than usual. This is a 2017 which is odd to have this problem to begin with. And the problematic connector has been relocated already. One of the bypassed wires was corroded where it was soldered and 2 other wires were corroded at the lowest spot where it’s been sitting in salt brine…yum

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to confirm: the issue is users coming in with their wet/ice covered shoes?

I've driven the mirage several times in knee-deep water and dont ever recall having water inside the cabin.

Correctish. Boots with snow and a mix of ice melt(salt and maybe other magic herbs). None of this is caused by water working is way from random holes in the car.

Weathertech mats would prevent this in most cases but if you don't dump them out once in a while you'll be in the same boat. I might bring some vabor barrier to work and try to seal off the wiring harness a bit better?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Vader barrier! I was just thinking of the same thing.

I'm too poor/cheap to splurge on weatherteks, but I've made vader barrier winter layers before that tuck in the sill trim all the way over to under the console. Tuck tape where needed for contouring. ��

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, I didn't have either one at work so duct tape to the rescue. Again. This one kept throwing a p0498(vent solenoid under spare tire) code for the last little while. After I fixed all the wires the engine light was out. Until I went to pull it out of the shop....
    So now I'm trying to figure this one out. Bench tested solenoid with 12 volts. White wire at solenoid has 12volts and I assume the brown is grounded via the ecu? Wires look fine from the solenoid connector all the way up into the trunk. Junk.