Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet floor

Wet floor

I’m not sure if this has been an issue for anyone here but we’ve got a bunch of cars with standing water on the floor. I’m sure it’s not a design flaw but rather caused by drivers not giving a $#! and never emptying the pool of water from the floor mats. Can’t fix stupid nor idiot proof everything but I see these floors rotting out relatively fast at this rate. I pulled the carpet out of one car and it was soaked from front to back. There was a bunch of water trapped under a brace. I had to jack up the front of the car to get it to run back where I could soak it up with a rag.
    Thankfully it’s pretty easy to remove the carpet, pull both seats(12mm and 14mm bolts and a few wiring plugs to undo below) 2 10mm bolts and 2 clips for the center console, the rest of the trim around the perimeter just in clips with a few clips where you gotta pull the center out to remove at the kick panels. The carpet is Velcro’d together at the front ahead of the console
    Attachment 13810Attachment 13811Attachment 13812

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (01-31-2019),Daox (02-01-2019),MetroMPG (04-15-2019),Pryme (02-02-2019),ThunderG (01-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Your pics would make for a good ad for WeatherTech custom floor mats. If the car is a delivery vehicle & drivers are hopping in & out a lot, I can see this being an issue during the winter months.

Good thing to share & think about!!! Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ouch. We don't deal with snow melting in cars down here, but I still keep Hexomat floor mats in my car. Its a cheaper alternative to Weathertech and I love them. I've been using them for about 10 years now.

I'm sure you already know this but I'm throwing this out there for everyone else. Make sure you disconnect your car battery before taking your interior apart. If you disconnect the airbag wires with the battery connected, you will trigger an airbag light and will need a programmer to turn the light off.

Nope.
    You will trigger an airbag code if you have the battery hooked up with the bags unhooked if you have the ignition turned on(why you'd have it on I don't know). Otherwise I haven't had a problem in the past. I can reset the light anyways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (02-19-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nope.
    You will trigger an airbag code if you have the battery hooked up with the bags unhooked if you have the ignition turned on(why you'd have it on I don't know). Otherwise I haven't had a problem in the past. I can reset the light anyways.
    Interesting. I could have sworn I had everything hooked back up before I turned the key. Either I turned the key like you said, which doesn't make any sense, or perhaps my 2014 is programmed different than yours.

Regardless, its still a good idea to disconnect the car battery before unplugging wires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol, sounds like you need some strategically located drain holes in floor pans...
    Weathertech mats are great but not perfect...
    they only hold water till it flows down threw the little mounting holes.
    I use a sponge to bail them out..
    For you I doubt people would bail them at the end of shifts. Or remove and dump.

I could be wrong, but I've unhooked sensors and bags before without setting codes. I'll let you know what happens with this car later.

I thought the floor was dented down from someone having a temper tantrum in traffic banging their feet, but both sides are the same with body plugs at the low point. But they're not easy to remove from the bottom because they are made to be removed from the interior.

Edit: standing water makes bad things happen. See my thread about the airbag light. I'm too lazy to post the link.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-01-2019 at 04:37 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (02-19-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You need a couple of these... https://www.partstown.ca/stoelting/s...SABEgIoiPD_BwE A whole $1.09 CAD each!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Good idea in theory. But it'd probably get torn off or plugged with little rocks. You should see the amount of crap that gets under the carpet(more like cheap trunk liner). Need a bilge pump.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Just a reminder, there was a recall because the wiring connectors near the drivers left foot got wet, corroded, and the cars did crazy things like the instrument lighting up like a christmas tree...

Last edited by foama; 02-01-2019 at 06:29 PM.