Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Flush

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just for clarification sake - Your maintenance thread states you bought your car on November 7, 2014.

On May 17, 2018, you changed your coolant @ 200,000 miles. If you changed it earlier than that, you never stated it. If that is the case, the majority of your car's life had been with factory coolant. You have only gone about 40,000 miles and less than year with the green stuff.

May 17, 2018

200k miles - Preventive Maintenance

Replaced brake pads
    Replaced brake rotors
    Replaced spark plugs
    Replaced air filter
    Replaced cabin air filter
    Flushed/replaced coolant
    Flushed/replaced manual transmission gear oil

There is nothing wrong with being confident with what you have done, but it doesn't seem like you have been really using the green stuff for all that long. If you flushed your system well and change your green stuff often from now on, I highly doubt you will have a problem.

If you waited until 200,000 miles to change coolant, however, you should be praising the factory blue stuff!!!
    I’m pretty sure I replaced the coolant at 100k miles but if it ain’t on my list then I honestly don’t know. Nice observation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    If my car ever gets totalled in an accident, I will make every effort to remove my heater core and gut the thing just so I can show you boys and girls how nice it looks.
    The next time there's a polar vortex and you guys get 20F temps or below...run this test and let us know what you find. That's the only definitive way to prove your heater core is unrestricted.

I've said all this before but I'll repeat it because I like to hear myself type...

• Unless the factory has changed suppliers over time, we all started out with the same heater cores and coolant.

• My 2015 has 60,000 miles on the original coolant. The coolant tests completely neutral and does not need to be changed. But I clearly don't have good flow on the passenger side of my heater core. I'm not the only one. Something is going on. I have tested my car at least 20 times. When the temps approach 0F, I have almost no heat on the passenger side...and it's progressively getting worse because I tested it last year as well...and it was 10-15F hotter then under the same testing conditions. I expect it will drop another 10-15F by next winter...at which point I will need a new heater core.

• This condition develops slowly over time. If you don't run a controlled test, you'll have no clue if your car has the problem or how far it has advanced.

• If you don't live in a cold climate (like the friggin' bayou ), you don't really need a heater core that flows 100%. One that flows 30% will give off enough heat to keep the driver comfortable on a 30F day. Guys in the South can probably live with this condition quite easily.

• This condition may not get out of control until your car is outside of the 5/60 warranty. That's why people with some warranty left shouldn't blow it off.

• If you live where winter temps routinely drop below 20F and your car is under warranty, spend $10 on a couple of Harbor Freight thermometers and run the test. Just because your heat "feels" fine right now doesn't mean your heater core isn't restricted. Run a test on your car and find out for sure. I was shocked to discover this condition on my car a year ago at 40,000 miles.

• If Doax had not pointed this out, I would have just assumed this was a small car with weak heat when it's cold. I easily would have been out of warranty by the time I realized that my heat is lousy for a reason.

I'm still waiting on anyone with a 2014-2015 Mirage to run a controlled test and say "I don't see any signs of reduced heat output on the passenger side compared to the driver side."

Look...if you're out of warranty then don't lose any sleep over it. But if you deal with seriously cold winter temps and you are under warranty, I wouldn't stick my head in the sand on this one. This is a $1,000 repair if you have to pay the dealer to do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I’m pretty sure I replaced the coolant at 100k miles but if it ain’t on my list then I honestly don’t know. Nice observation.
    Yeah! I don't mean to knock your suggestion about changing coolant types. If you went 200,000 miles with the factory blue coolant without issue, however, I see no problem sticking with it. Especially, since a Valvoline version of this coolant is available @ Walmart now.

Coolant lasts much longer than it use to years ago. I really don't even give it much thought. Since Mitsubishi recommends 120,000 miles or 8 years, they aren't expecting us to give it much thought either.

Either way (100,000 or 200,000 miles), you aren't having any issues. That's good to know!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Replacing a heater core would be a pain! I do think it is good to test this, & I hope more members do. I appreciate everyone's input on this!

Those of us that have 2017+ models may be in the same boat some day. Like you said earlier, the rear axle issue has not gone away totally!!!!
    Last edited by Mark; 02-13-2019 at 01:47 AM.

I kinda want a heater core to plug on one of our cars. I want to tear one apart again and try to post pics this time. I pulled a dash from one when a driver dropped a pen down one of the vents and thought the lever was jammed up. Turned out it wasn't, it fell inside the box though. That was a few years ago, I'm pretty sure I just dropped the steering column down, pulled the center console and pulled the entire dash out as one piece, took an hour or 2 to get that far.
    I've only had one complaint about the heat on the cars so far, but it was the same driver who thought the ac button was for (non)-heated mirrors.

Coolant was only changed on a couple cars when the rads had a leak or when the cvt took a dump.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I missed posting here for some DIY.

Anyways, my Mirage is already 5yrs old and i only had replaced the coolant once from the first year i got the car and posted here in this forum.

When do we change or flush the coolant? Some of my friends say once a year or 1 every 2 years.

And if ever i flush, how much coolant should i put, how many liters?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Hi all,

Anyways, my Mirage is already 5yrs old and i only had replaced the coolant once from the first year i got the car and posted here in this forum.

When do we change or flush the coolant? Some of my friends say once a year or 1 every 2 years.

I would do whatever your maintenance manual states. My 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage maintenance manual states 120,000 miles or 96 months (8 years). 90,000 miles or 72 months (every 6 years) after that. Maintenance schedules 1 & 2 are the same.

Unless I am having a coolant issue, I don't see the need to change coolant all that often. Personally, I may change my coolant & spark plugs for the first time @ 100,000 miles. Unless my driving habits change, that should be around that 7-8 year mark for me.

Today's new coolants have changed the need to change it every 1-2 years. If you have doubts/concerns, you can buy a relatively cheap engine coolant tester. Walmart has one for $2.54 and Auto Zone has one for $2.99. Not sure what they would cost near you?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Hi all,

Hi mitsumi, nice to see you around.

Not sure if you've read through this thread but it originated from another thread about a clogged heater core. The idea was to find a solvent to flush out the goo that had accumulated inside but this thread never got there. This thread was not intended to address regular maintenance.

That being said the advice is to check the ph balance of the coolant to determine if it needs replacement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    The idea in the clogged heater core thread was to find some sort of unclogging solvent that won't disolve anything else of importance. We found nothing!

After consulting the world's largest coolant maker, the cause for clogging was assumed to be "auxillary materials used in manufacturing". In particular, the engine is made of high-pressure die-cast alloy, which is a very special alloy. It gets damaged both by acid and also by alkali. Thus no suitable solvent found. The heater core is of another alloy and other stuff which can react with coolant. Thankfully not all heater cores are plagued by this problem.

The solution for preventing clogging and other damage is to replace the OEM coolant early, and then monitor PH value and replace it as soon as PH starts changing.

See:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...f-your-coolant!
    Last edited by foama; 11-01-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Updated post #2 with more cleaning products.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

foama (01-01-2021),MirageRally (01-03-2021)