Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 starter / flywheel / ring gear issues (Update: repaired under warranty)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I still have my car, they haven't touched it, but I'm back to square one.

The starter on the early Mirages is garbage, and what I really cant wrap my head around is, what good is a 10 year warranty if they don't cover such an obvious manufacturer's defect. Salt on the wound was when they said they were going to pay 2/3 of the cost, then this week they back track today.

Who gives a good-will credit and takes it back?

I'm annoyed haha
    My understanding of the Mirage warranties are somewhat the same as the others have stated.

The first year/12,000 miles everything is covered including any necessary adjustments the car may need.
    Then you have the 5 year/60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, which this starter/flywheel would cover.
    10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty is for major engine/transmission issues.
    5 year/unlimited miles roadside assistance is also included.

If you are beyond 5 years or 60,000 miles, the starter would not be covered. It's still lame on their part to say they would cover some of it and then retract that. It would be nice if they covered parts or labor at least given what you were told.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-13-2019)

If they won't cover what they originally agreed to I'd just take it somewhere else to get fixed. From what I've experienced, our local mitsu techs are retards. Any independent shop should be able to do a better job for less money. These cars are pretty easy to wrench on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    It's not like it's a unknown issue. You could always show them this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Exactly. If it's TSB related then it's a warranty claim.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Oh I did, they said that was for the American cars. The worst part is that we made a deal, and then they backtracked on it. I won't give up the fight

Warranty wise they keep on saying that I'm past the 5 year/100k new car warranty, but they were going to make an exception in my case. Were, they changed their minds.

Just bothers me they say they would fix it, I had everything ready for friday's visit the dealer's shop, then suddenly they back track.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My 2014 Mirage has had starter issues, specifically a loud grindy noise when the solenoid doesn't engage with the flywheel. I knew it from day one the starter's got issues, and the dealer gave me the run around for years
    Do you have old work orders from a Mitsubishi dealer where this problem was documented when you were still under warranty? If so, that should help you quite a bit. How many miles are on your car now?

If you aren't getting anywhere with the dealership, call Mitsubishi Customer Service yourself and open a case with them. KEEP YOUR COOL!!! Do not call the service manager a moron or imply they are incompetent. Don't call Mitsubishi and start throwing out demands and tell them you'll never buy another Mitsubishi. Don't get on social media and trash them. That will get you NOWHERE fast!

Get your documents together including that TSB and any previous record of the dealer servicing your car for this specific complaint. Then call the Mitsubishi Customer Support line and open a case with them yourself. The more organized and level-headed you are, the more likely you will get somewhere. If you are well out of warranty, be prepared to absorb a share of the cost.

I have dealt with a Mitsubishi Customer Support mediator and they were actually quite reasonable. But I dealt with them professionally and didn't start throwing out demands.

EDIT - Everything I'm saying applies to US warranty cars. It seems like you guys in Canada may get lesser warranty coverage than we do in the States?!?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-13-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Do you have old work orders from a Mitsubishi dealer where this problem was documented when you were still under warranty? If so, that should help you quite a bit. How many miles are on your car now?
    Yep, the dealer says I complained around 85k, and that's all recorded on their end, so that's good. Just again bugs me they said they would fix the issue, now they may or may not.

I kept my cool, but I was annoyed. For me to get the time off work, to go to the dealer on the weekday, is its own form of hassle.

Thanks all! I will keep you posted in a few weeks, hopefully with some good news! I will try the Customer Service thing but calling Mitsu Canada is pretty bad, they virtually have no live customer service. And they seem to be the bigger "enemy" in this situation. I'm the little fish

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    EDIT - Everything I'm saying applies to US warranty cars. It seems like you guys in Canada may get lesser warranty coverage than we do in the States?!?
    This is interesting. I figure the company name 'Mitsubishi Motors North America' would encompass both the U.S. and the Canada.

Whether the metric system confuses medieval measurements (as foama likes to say ) or not - nevertheless I would fully expect the TSB to serve both countries.

Damn political boundaries. :ducks for cover:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is interesting. I figure the company name 'Mitsubishi Motors North America' would encompass both the U.S. and the Canada.

Whether the metric system confuses medieval measurements (as foama likes to say ) or not - nevertheless I would fully expect the TSB to serve both countries.

Damn political boundaries. :ducks for cover:
    They say the TSB is only for cars imported for the American market, well suprise, they're the same car. And the list for the repairs they were going to do on my Mirage... Identical to the TSB you have there. So, it boils down to an excuse.

I'm a little bitter w Mitsubishi at the moment, hope hope fingers crossed this gets resolved. My brand-new looking car isn't exactly re-sellable when it makes a 99 decibel grinding noise the odd time.

The metric/imperial thing is funny. I think of weather temps in Celsius, pool temps in Ferhenheit, my height 6 feet

That's annoying. It took us a while to get our transmission warrantied on a car that was well within the 160k km warranty. They demanded all the service records for replacing the cvt fluid. I used non mitsu stuff but it said it was compatible. After having the car at the dealer for what seemed like a week or two "head office" finally agreed that they will replace the cvt under warranty. Then when we got the car back I discovered they crossthreaded a few bolts and just left them loose for the shifter cable bracket, didn't plug the crankcase breather into the back of the valvecover and few other top notch screw ups.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)