Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 starter / flywheel / ring gear issues (Update: repaired under warranty)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2014 starter / flywheel / ring gear issues (Update: repaired under warranty)

My 2014 Mirage has had starter issues, specifically a loud grindy noise when the solenoid doesn't engage with the flywheel. I knew it from day one the starter's got issues, and the dealer gave me the run around for years,

Now after getting information on here, they cut a deal with me for new fly wheel, starter, etc. Parts for the Mirage aren't cheap so I will keep the old starter.

Thanks anyone who helped me along this path and note if your early Mirage has grindy noises it's likely the same issue. Google on the Mirage forum "Engine Noise During Starting", it's a .pdf Technical Bulletin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-02-2019),Eggman (02-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My 2014 Mirage has had starter issues, specifically a loud grindy noise when the solenoid doesn't engage with the flywheel. I knew it from day one the starter's got issues, and the dealer gave me the run around for years,

Now after getting information on here, they cut a deal with me for new fly wheel, starter, etc. Parts for the Mirage aren't cheap so I will keep the old starter.

Thanks anyone who helped me along this path and note if your early Mirage has grindy noises it's likely the same issue. Google on the Mirage forum "Engine Noise During Starting", it's a .pdf Technical Bulletin.
    I don't think you will regret having this taken care of. It wouldn't only get worst over time, & it may have made your car more difficult to sell some day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-02-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think you will regret having this taken care of.
    For sure. Most of the bill will be paid by Mitsubishi, so I am a happier customer today than I was yesterday.

And true for re-sale, the starter needs fixing. People would walk away with the loud grindy starter noise, and say what is wrong with your car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm glad the forum helped you out! Grinding starting noises are nasty and obnoxious.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-02-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I'm glad the forum helped you out! Grinding starting noises are nasty and obnoxious.
    For sure thanks! Having a wishy washy starter makes my Mirage less reliable.

Will it start, or will it take 3 times? Or worse in the future. No way around it. Took lots of hoop jumping to arrive where I am today, and I feel they should have covered the work 100% but I'm tired of the problem.

Otherwise a nice car, and above average reliable.

No more scaring the general public with what sounds like setting off some sort of dynamite, talk about poor advertising for Mitsubishi

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm gonna be keeping the old starter, I asked the Mitsu dealer specifically. The old starter is fixable, back in the old days they would fix the starter before replacing the thing whole. No expert over here, but the part is worth a small amt of money, and potential value for my use again down the road also.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    That's interesting. I thought there was some defect or shortcoming in those starters, explaining why Mitsubishi replaced them. I mean, why else would Mitsubishi replace them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's interesting. I thought there was some defect or shortcoming in those starters, explaining why Mitsubishi replaced them. I mean, why else would Mitsubishi replace them?
    There is a defect with the early Mirage starters, including mine. I think my 2014 Mirage is actually a May 2013 assembled car. And from what I can gather, the fly wheel and starter aren't jiving, making grinding noises and eventually wearing out the starter prematurely.

I can't figure out how Mitsu covered this for me (66% of the cost) under "good will" - what is the 10 year warranty covering, then, if not manufacturer's defects?

Can you explain specifically (technically) what the problem with the starter is?

This affected enough of the early cars that we had a pretty long thread going. Several threads, actually:

Thread: Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

Thread: Starter grinding no warranty coverage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Can you explain specifically (technically) what the problem with the starter is?
    The electric starter's gear doesn't engage with the flywheel properly, so the 1.2 motor doesn't start, and the gears grind down, and it makes an awful racket of grinding noise loud enough that it turns heads.

For my final settlement, Mitsu is paying 66% of the bill, the rest I am paying. That's after 5 years of complains to the dealer, and finally I called Mitsu Canada's HQ, and quoted the technical bulletin you all posted on here. (btw we're talking 1600$ + mostly labour)

Must look odd when a brand new car sounds that rackety terrible, like my 1985 Rabbit did (had the same problem, but that was an old starter).

Basically Mitsu shipped a bunch of new Mirages with faulty starters, and looks to me like they aren't really recognizing it. Fight it and you might (partially) win. To me the 10 year warranty doesn't mean much. Lesson learned. Great car still!

Last edited by dspace9; 02-06-2019 at 05:45 PM.