Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 2014 starter / flywheel / ring gear issues (Update: repaired under warranty)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The following work was done: they replaced the starter, the flywheel and housings, some bushings and pins. Not quite sure if that's it, I will photograph the bill in this post maybe you can even explain some of it better than me.

Driving around this afternoon noticed downshifting especially the flywheel really sounds mint

Timing belt is something I'm still wondering about. Spark plugs I'm told are still good for a whileAttachment 14126
    Ummm, tell me they didn't put 4.5L of oil in your engine, they take 3L, I use a hair over that.

And for the timing belt, don't pay anyone to change it cause they don't have one. They have a chain(stonger and last longer than belt) I've never had an issue with the adjusters or guides on one of these engines so I wouldn't worry about that at all. If we're talking a 3.5l nissan or 5.4L 3v ford on the other hand.......

For spark plugs, I'd just replace them at 160k kms(or longer). no need to overthink spark plugs, just replace them with the stock/oem ngk's. You won't make the car run smoother, have more power or get better fuel economy by trying different plugs. The stock plugs are already iridium, they last a long time but cost more than copper or platinum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Ummm, tell me they didn't put 4.5L of oil in your engine, they take 3L, I use a hair over that.

You won't make the car run smoother, have more power or get better fuel economy by trying different plugs. The stock plugs are already iridium, they last a long time but cost more than copper or platinum.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm a little concerned about my oil levels, dunno same people have changed my oil from day 1, haven't seemed to have any issue. Maybe they just charged me for 4.5 L haha.

I figured Mitsubishi would put in the right amount, I'm not sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I'm a little concerned about my oil levels, dunno same people have changed my oil from day 1, haven't seemed to have any issue. Maybe they just charged me for 4.5 L haha.

I figured Mitsubishi would put in the right amount, I'm not sure.
    There has been a few Mitsubishi dealers that have overfilled the Mirage at oil changes. Go figure. I'd check it ASAP. Overfilling by .5 liter, meh. Over filling by 1.5 liters, big problem. You most likely would get aeration in the oil pan and the oil pump would then start pumping foam and not oil throughout the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    There has been a few Mitsubishi dealers that have overfilled the Mirage at oil changes. Go figure. I'd check it ASAP. Overfilling by .5 liter, meh. Over filling by 1.5 liters, big problem. You most likely would get aeration in the oil pan and the oil pump would then start pumping foam and not oil throughout the engine.
    How will I know? The dipstick's oil levels looked fine when I bought the car home. I'll double check. Never ends it seems with my car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    How will I know? The dipstick's oil levels looked fine when I bought the car home. I'll double check. Never ends it seems with my car
    If the oil level is fine on level ground with the engine off then you're good. I actually buy the oil and filter and just pay the labor for the change. That way I know they didn't overfill it. Disclaimer: There are no Mitsubishi dealers closer than 200 miles to me so I take the car to one of the local oil change places. Other members have reported that dealers have overfilled so it never hurts to check before leaving the lot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-11-2019)

True, most dealers don't know much about Mirage's. It took a few tries to convince our nearest dealer that the cvt actually has filters. Hell, when I first started working on these things I took one to the dealer to confirm the cvt level was at the correct level (at the right temps) their "tech" just shrugged and was completely clueless.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Are you CVT or Manual on your Mirage?
    Also, you can see how my Speck is configured by looking at my Garage entry. It's a handy forum feature that easily answers a lot of questions for us all, so long as we maintain the entry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)