Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 starter / flywheel / ring gear issues (Update: repaired under warranty)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    There's an old school adage, don't buy the first year of any model of new car, they work the kinks out,like periodic not meshing of gears. Consumer doesn't notice this, only when they have an early effected "whatever issue" car, and they find a bulletin online. I live with it, it's the principle. The flywheel anyway is drivetrain, not sure why Mitsu is squeezing the cheapo towel on this one all over me, not fair really oh well I guess.
    Yeah, that's primarily why I bought a 2015 instead of a 2014. Also why I spent a lot of time reading other owner's experiences with the Mirage here on the forum.

Might get a new Fiat 500x 6 speed manual turbo
    !

I'm surprised you would consider a Fiat. I've heard they are even more problematic.

If you are considering just getting another car, why not a newer Mirage?

Anyway, back to working toward a solution. If I understand correctly, do you have your old starter available for bench disassembly?

This could be a great opportunity to learn more about your car.

Last edited by Eggman; 02-15-2019 at 12:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This could be a great opportunity to learn more about your car.
    No no I will give you the condensed, long story short version right now:

Wishy washy grindy starter from day 1, and I knew what it was. Comes and goes for months but makes a real loud racket when it happens, and it takes a few turns to turn the motor over. Hasn't failed failed me yet.

Anyway even though I have 105 000 kms Mitsu was gonna replace with 2/3 cost paid by them and also a rental, now they are just saying no. But they might do some other calls.

When they said I was getting new starter, fly wheel etc (identical to the listed parts onthe tech alery someone nicely posted on here for me. go figure). I wanted to keep the old starter ob, for possible back up and my friend knows them well

I like the Mopar customized Fiat 500 X's wow - they are so rare and I think better than the Jeeps of similar engine platform etc.., my friend has a Cherokee / Dart newer nice but expensive and equally Italian Dart platform, at least some of the Jeep lineup is literally Italian made.
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No no I will give you the condensed, long story short version right now:

Wishy washy grindy starter from day 1, and I knew what it was. Comes and goes for months but makes a real loud racket when it happens, and it takes a few turns to turn the motor over. Hasn't failed failed me yet.

Anyway even though I have 105 000 kms Mitsu was gonna replace with 2/3 cost paid by them and also a rental, now they are just saying no. But they might do some other calls.

When they said I was getting new starter, fly wheel etc (identical to the listed parts onthe tech alery someone nicely posted on here for me. go figure). I wanted to keep the old starter ob, for possible back up and my friend knows them well
    Ok. Have you considered getting a used starter from a scrapyard to try out?

I like the Mopar customized Fiat 500 X's wow - they are so rare and I think better than the Jeeps of similar engine platform etc.., my friend has a Cherokee / Dart newer nice but expensive and equally Italian Dart platform, at least some of the Jeep lineup is literally Italian made.
    Yeah, according to Wikipedia the 500X is very similar to and is built alongside the Jeep Renegade.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok. Have you considered getting a used starter from a scrapyard to try out?

Yeah, according to Wikipedia the 500X is very similar to and is built alongside the Jeep Renegade.
    I did a sort of cost-benefit analysis, and right now not changing anything, nothing is getting worse really. If I start tampering w the starter instantly the warranty is zapped. Is that worth it?? No

One topic I cant figure out on this forum is with an economy minded car, stretching every aspect of the warranty is economical... maybe in 20 years I will soup up my Mirage or my car nuts nephew is getting the Mirage
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-15-2019 at 01:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did a sort of cost-benefit analysis, and right now not changing anything, nothing is getting worse really. If I start tampering w the starter instantly the warranty is zapped. Is that worth it to you?
    Not trying to be pessimistic, but realistically your warranty isn't exactly working out the way you had hoped. Does this mean you would rather wait for Mitsubishi Motors North America to intervene, and you don't want to give up on that just yet?

Is this all just a matter of timing - that maybe your dealer would have been more open to taking care of this if it was under 100k? Just guessing.

I guess what I'm suggesting is things are not as dire as they may seem. You have other steps to take, other than disposing of the car altogether. I mean, (I think) you have expressed there is lots to like about your Mirage, except for the stupid starter problem. And if it's only the starter holding you back, well that *should* be able to be addressed.

One topic I cant figure out on this forum is with an economy minded car, stretching every aspect of the warranty is economical... maybe in 20 years I will soup up my Mirage or my car nuts nephew is getting the Mirage
    I also agree - that is one big benefit to buying new rather than used.

So status update: you're still waiting to hear back from the dealer, who is supposedly trying to convince Mitsu HQ to honour their original offer to you after shooting it down?

I don't suppose that original offer is in writing or e-mail anywhere, is it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not trying to be pessimistic, but realistically your warranty isn't exactly working out the way you had hoped. Does this mean you would rather wait for Mitsubishi Motors North America to intervene, and you don't want to give up on that just yet?
    True true, I love my Mirage but I'm a perfectionist OCD, About something to most that is a small matter, it will eat away at me. The deal Mitsu dealer and I had the 2/3 deal they bailed on (can you believe it?) addressed the post 100k new car warranty issue they looked past it goodwill, and noted in the notes earlier complaints around the 88--- km mark I complained then too

Plus I like my car to be pampered, and I don't want my Mirage to look or sound bad.

Yes obviously could be worse, I'm not complaining in the grand scheme, but I like as -advertised 10 years power train parts are guaranteed built better. Yes, Not working out as planned no, but yea I give up with the dealer and with Mitsubishi, and I am going a local shop for service, oil changes etc.

Good car yes in the grand scheme I shouldn't complain too much bugs

Sounds like you're upset & frustrated, and because of that you're giving up too soon with Mitsubishi HQ.

At the very least: call the dealer and ask them when you can expect to hear a "final" answer from their conversation with HQ.

Wait for that answer before doing anything else.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-15-2019)

If that dealer isn't part of the bbb filing a complaint there would be pointless.
    Expecting them to replace your starter (or any part for that matter) under warranty then letting you keep it for a spare will never fly with any mfg or dealer so never expect that to happen.
    Out here we have Amvic to help deal with problems with company's in the automotive repair or sales business. You might have something similar out there. Maybe look here https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/ I'm not sure if they deal with mfg's not wanting to warranty something past the warranty period.

You could always paint it yellow and park it out front of the dealership with some classy words written all over it lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-15-2019),poorman1 (02-17-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Sounds like you're upset & frustrated, and because of that you're giving up too soon with Mitsubishi HQ.

At the very least: call the dealer and ask them when you can expect to hear a "final" answer from their conversation with HQ.

Wait for that answer before doing anything else.
    For sure, just got off the phone with the dealer. I asked to speak to the manager of the guy I am getting nowhere with. They say they are waiting to hear back from someone at Mitsu HQ so I don't know. I'm beyond frustrated not the money but the broken promise. That's what upsets me, money isn't much their word is.

I'm polite but stern always, I just want it resolved, so I can keep driving my Mirage, and think about resells and a possible Fiat upgrade down the road. Or keep the Mirage and personalize it