Thread: Possible to retro fit nav unit from 17GT into an 18 ES

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Possible to retro fit nav unit from 17GT into an 18 ES

I found a heck of a deal on a take out Nav Unit from a 17GT and want to install it into my 18ES so i keep all OEM stuff working. I have the Touchscreen unit now and removed it today, i noticed there are several differences in the connectors. The two things i didn't get with the radio were the GPS antenna and the OEM harness adapter.

Does anyone know if you have to do anything special with the bluetooth such as add a microphone? I believe my stock head unit has the mic on the faceplate.

Also does anyone know if the factory backup camera will work or if there is an adapter harness for that as well?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfnet1 View Post
    I found a heck of a deal on a take out Nav Unit from a 17GT and want to install it into my 18ES so i keep all OEM stuff working. I have the Touchscreen unit now and removed it today, i noticed there are several differences in the connectors. The two things i didn't get with the radio were the GPS antenna and the OEM harness adapter.

Does anyone know if you have to do anything special with the bluetooth such as add a microphone? I believe my stock head unit has the mic on the faceplate.

Also does anyone know if the factory backup camera will work or if there is an adapter harness for that as well?
    Hello Malfnet1 and welcome to the forum.

I have no experience with radio swaps like this. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the answers you need.

It is my understanding that in 2017 Mitsubishi included some basic ETACS controls in one of the trouchscreen radios. I wonder if removing that radio for a navigation one would cause any problems with ETACS? You might be the first to find out.

Best wishes on your swap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    "Navigation" head units were only offered on some top-of-the-line Mirage ES models in '14 and '15. What you are likely referring to is the Android Auto/Apple Carplay deck offered in higher-trim models in '17 and '18. This deck does not actually have navigation, per se. It simply connects to your phone and allows you to control and display your phone's navigation app.

They should be swappable, but I am not sure what all would need to be done. I know there is a very specific short wiring 'pigtail' that is required when going from a regular deck to the Android/Carplay deck. This deck is made by Hyundai, and the short harness is basically an adapter to allow the Hyundai deck to work with the Mitsubishi wiring harness. The standard display deck you have now is made by Mitsubishi and I don't believe this harness is necessary. This is why the connections on the two radios are different even though they are offered in the same car. I have considered doing this swap myself, but radios that are offered online never come with this crucial part.

If the deck you are considering installing does not come with this harness then you will have to source one.

It should be noted, however, that the deck you are considering installing has gotten, well...mixed reviews here.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    "Navigation" head units were only offered on some top-of-the-line Mirage ES models in '14 and '15. What you are likely referring to is the Android Auto/Apple Carplay deck offered in higher-trim models in '17 and '18. This deck does not actually have navigation, per se. It simply connects to your phone and allows you to control and display your phone's navigation app.

They should be swappable, but I am not sure what all would need to be done. I know there is a very specific short wiring 'pigtail' that is required when going from a regular deck to the Android/Carplay deck. This deck is made by Hyundai, and the short harness is basically an adapter to allow the Hyundai deck to work with the Mitsubishi wiring harness. The standard display deck you have now is made by Mitsubishi and I don't believe this harness is necessary. This is why the connections on the two radios are different even though they are offered in the same car. I have considered doing this swap myself, but radios that are offered online never come with this crucial part.

If the deck you are considering installing does not come with this harness then you will have to source one.

It should be noted, however, that the deck you are considering installing has gotten, well...mixed reviews here.
    Thank you for the reply, the junk yard i got my head unit from said the harness wasn't available but i am going to reach out to them and keep my fingers crossed. I only paid $40 for the head unit but and can get the harness and gps antenna from the dealer but they are proud of those two parts and are way more then i spent on the radio on its own.

I am most concerned on how the the bluetooth, backup camera, and usb interfaces hookup so they are still completely functional. looks like i am going to be doing some more research and maybe the guinea pig on this.

i know that an aftermarket head unit will be better quality, with more features but at this point i am looking to keep everything stock, and just want the apple car play option mostly.