Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn between a new Mirage, versus a Micra or used Jetta TDI.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Torn between a new Mirage, versus a Micra or used Jetta TDI.

Mirage, Pros: Cheap, fuel efficient
    Mirage, Cons: Too slow for roads here, need CVT for best highway mileage

Micra, Pros: Same price as Mirage, way better equipped, way the heck more power
    Micra, Cons: Slightly less than ideal fuel economy, Nissan reliability problems

Used Jetta TDI, best fuel economy negated by higher fuel prices, can purchase for $1750 but only will get a year out of it max, or $2500-$3000 and maybe last two years.

Basically I need a commuter, but the Jeep has me realizing just how few features the Mirage has. Local dealer is doing $3500 off of Micra SVs right now. Mom loves hers. I love our Mirage but it's just not functioning well enough for us with our roads and environment.

Thoughts? (Please note vehicles have a 8-10 year lifespan here max, no suggestions of Metros or Sprints or older cars. None exist)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Your Jeep Wrangler is a - if not the - most versatile vehicle money can buy. Why not restore it's configuration to something more road-worthy? Keep your Mirage for fuel efficiency, and use the Wrangler for harsh conditions?

Because continuous vehicle financing only deepens one's debt. Unless money is no object, it's a losing proposition.

From one Jeep owner to another.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Mirage, Pros: Cheap, fuel efficient
    Mirage, Cons: Too slow for roads here, need CVT for best highway mileage

Micra, Pros: Same price as Mirage, way better equipped, way the heck more power
    Micra, Cons: Slightly less than ideal fuel economy, Nissan reliability problems

Used Jetta TDI, best fuel economy negated by higher fuel prices, can purchase for $1750 but only will get a year out of it max, or $2500-$3000 and maybe last two years.

Basically I need a commuter, but the Jeep has me realizing just how few features the Mirage has. Local dealer is doing $3500 off of Micra SVs right now. Mom loves hers. I love our Mirage but it's just not functioning well enough for us with our roads and environment.

Thoughts? (Please note vehicles have a 8-10 year lifespan here max, no suggestions of Metros or Sprints or older cars. None exist)
    I've never seen or driven a Micra. If I was keeping a car past its warranty period, I would not buy a Nissan with a CVT transmission. I don't care what the price is or what features it may have. The Micra sounds like a nice car, but I have no faith in CVT transmissions (especially in Nissan's). This is just one person's opinion. Others may feel differently.

Some of my opinion sort of carries over to the Mirage, too. I am not convinced the CVT transmission are designed to last the life of the car. If a car is near the last few remaining years of its life, who wants to spend a huge amount of money on a transmission? Yet, without a working transmission the car is useless.

I don't understand your comment that the Mirage is to slow? It goes down the highway the same speed of every other car I am around. Prior to my purchase of my 2017 Mirage ES (manual), I watched a review done in Germany. The car reviewer did a great job of reviewing the Mirage. Part of his review included him driving a manual transmission Mirage on the Autobahn highway. Likewise I have done 75-80 mph on a trip out west, & I didn't perceive any issues. If I am in a high traffic area on a 4-lane highway, I do feel a little small. A person feels a little safer & more secure at higher speeds in a larger vehicle (especially when you are surrounded by larger vehicles). In Europe this would be less of an issue, because small cars are more popular.

In the United States, the base level 2019 Mirage with manual transmission comes with quite a few features including A/C & cruise control. A person may want to upgrade the wheels for summer months, & used the steel rims for winter tires. Beyond that, the base model is a nice car for the money. I like my Mirage, but I wouldn't pay a lot of money for one.

I've owned my Mirage for about 15 months. In that time, I have driven it over 20,000 miles. During that time I have put about 3,000 miles on my 2011 Subaru Forester. Yet, there are times when I need the Forester. The Mirage can't do everything. My parents live 4-hours one way. I've made that trip numerous times. Since buying the Mirage, it has done all those trips except one.

If a lot of extra features are important to you, it sounds like you may be happier with the Micra. If extra horsepower is important to you, you may like the Micra. None of those things are important to me. I wanted a car that was affordable, reliable, and economical. For me that car was a highly discounted Mirage with a manual transmission. Trim levels in Canada may be different, & I realize that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Your Jeep Wrangler is a - if not the - most versatile vehicle money can buy. Why not restore it's configuration to something more road-worthy? Keep your Mirage for fuel efficiency, and use the Wrangler for harsh conditions?

Because continuous vehicle financing only deepens one's debt. Unless money is no object, it's a losing proposition.

From one Jeep owner to another.
    Not true. If the Jeep gets 20l/100, and I drive 120km a day, it can actually be much, much cheaper to finance a new car. Jeep is going to start running me $575 a month. That's a car payment, fuel and insurance.

Therefore, much cheaper to buy a new car and park the Jeep. Same reason we bought the first Mirage in the first place, to start spending, at the time, $750 in fuel for the Jeep every month.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've never seen or driven a Micra. If I was keeping a car past its warranty period, I would not buy a Nissan with a CVT transmission. I don't care what the price is or what features it may have. The Micra sounds like a nice car, but I have no faith in CVT transmissions (especially in Nissan's). This is just one person's opinion. Others may feel differently.

Some of my opinion sort of carries over to the Mirage, too. I am not convinced the CVT transmission are designed to last the life of the car. If a car is near the last few remaining years of its life, who wants to spend a huge amount of money on a transmission? Yet, without a working transmission the car is useless.

I don't understand your comment that the Mirage is to slow? It goes down the highway the same speed of every other car I am around. Prior to my purchase of my 2017 Mirage ES (manual), I watched a review done in Germany. The car reviewer did a great job of reviewing the Mirage. Part of his review included him driving a manual transmission Mirage on the Autobahn highway. Likewise I have done 75-80 mph on a trip out west, & I didn't perceive any issues. If I am in a high traffic area on a 4-lane highway, I do feel a little small. A person feels a little safer & more secure at higher speeds in a larger vehicle (especially when you are surrounded by larger vehicles). In Europe this would be less of an issue, because small cars are more popular.

In the United States, the base level 2019 Mirage with manual transmission comes with quite a few features including A/C & cruise control. A person may want to upgrade the wheels for summer months, & used the steel rims for winter tires. Beyond that, the base model is a nice car for the money. I like my Mirage, but I wouldn't pay a lot of money for one.

I've owned my Mirage for about 15 months. In that time, I have driven it over 20,000 miles. During that time I have put about 3,000 miles on my 2011 Subaru Forester. Yet, there are times when I need the Forester. The Mirage can't do everything. My parents live 4-hours one way. I've made that trip numerous times. Since buying the Mirage, it has done all those trips except one.

If a lot of extra features are important to you, it sounds like you may be happier with the Micra. If extra horsepower is important to you, you may like the Micra. None of those things are important to me. I wanted a car that was affordable, reliable, and economical. For me that car was a highly discounted Mirage with a manual transmission. Trim levels in Canada may be different, & I realize that.
    Our mirage has no AC, no cruise, those all push a Mirage well above $14,000 here up from $11000, the tires are too small for the potholes here, it doesnt defrost properly, it doesnt warm up enough, doesnt have enough suspension travel, it's all around a turf of a country car. That's where the Micra comes in. The Micra also has a tall 5th gear with the 5spd, whereas the Mirage is pulling 4000rpm torching fuel on our highways.

I could explain more but it's basically the equivalent of driving a shopping cart on a gravel road. It's not a New Brunswick car at all.

Lots of very short merge lanes, lots of aggressive drivers means where most cars can punch it to match speed, me and the Mirage cant do it, have to stop, then get royally screwed over trying to merge onto a 130kmh highway from a dead stop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Our mirage has no AC, no cruise, those all push a Mirage well above $14,000 here up from $11000, the tires are too small for the potholes here, it doesnt defrost properly, it doesnt warm up enough, doesnt have enough suspension travel, it's all around a turf of a country car. That's where the Micra comes in. The Micra also has a tall 5th gear with the 5spd, whereas the Mirage is pulling 4000rpm torching fuel on our highways.

I could explain more but it's basically the equivalent of driving a shopping cart on a gravel road. It's not a New Brunswick car at all.

Lots of very short merge lanes, lots of aggressive drivers means where most cars can punch it to match speed, me and the Mirage cant do it, have to stop, then get royally screwed over trying to merge onto a 130kmh highway from a dead stop.
    Fuel is relatively cheap in the United States compared to the rest of world. Sadly, that seems to justify large, expensive vehicles for many.

Everyone's situation is different. In my case, I feel justified owning some type of AWD/4WD vehicle. I have to drive on ridge roads in the winter. I also use a trailer quite often, haul kayaks on top, etc... My Subaru is set up for all that. If I owned only one vehicle, it would not be the Mirage. Having said that, I find AWD/4WD vehicles to be much more expensive to purchase & own. I see the Mirage as extending the life of my 2011 Forester. Since owning the Mirage, 87% of my driving has been with it. Yet, I am not willing to give up on that other 13% of the time when I need a larger AWD vehicle. Since Subaru replaced the short block part of my Forester's engine last fall for free, I am hoping to get many more years of use out of it. Owning/driving the Mirage is going to help that cause.

Owning two vehicles verses one, does have some drawbacks. You will pay more for insurance & license. I found shopping around for insurance helps. I also have a daughter/son-in-law that live overseas. The Mirage has been a nice car for them to borrow when they visit. I paid $10,153.73 out-the-door (tax, title, delivery, dealership lifetime/unlimited mileage power train warranty included) for a brand new Mirage. So far, it's been a perfect vehicle second vehicle to own. I have no complaints!

When a vehicle gets older, I am not opposed to dropping comprehensive/collision insurance while keeping liability on it. I think the Mirage is a great value, but that doesn't make it the perfect vehicle for everyone. I am hoping to keep what I have for quite some time. I like AWD vehicles with manual transmissions, but that option has now dwindled to just Jeep vehicles. I'd be more inclined to buy the new Compass or Renegade (vs a Wrangler), but I believe they have Fiat transmissions. That's not very inspiring to me. The Outlander Sport can be bought with a manual transmission, but not with AWD. On a positive note, the lack of good choices keeps me content with what I presently have. I also like vehicles that are paid for!

Affordable, economy cars like the Mirage have their place. I like owning one! Sounds like in your case you would be happier with the Micra. The Micra is not an option for us, & our base level Mirage comes fairly well equipped. Thus, we aren't really comparing apples to apples here. Good luck in whatever you decide!
    Last edited by Mark; 02-03-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Micra is not an option for us, & our base level Mirage comes fairly well equipped. Thus, we aren't really comparing apples to apples here. Good luck in whatever you decide!
    I often forget that the Mirage comes in way ****tier base trim here, AND that you guys don't have the 110hp $10k Micra as an option.

Didn't realize that nobody here can really even weigh in on my oddball situation.

Will see what the Jeep actually ends up costing. My guess is $700 a month, in fuel and tire wear alone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I often forget that the Mirage comes in way ****tier base trim here, AND that you guys don't have the 110hp $10k Micra as an option.

Didn't realize that nobody here can really even weigh in on my oddball situation.

Will see what the Jeep actually ends up costing. My guess is $700 a month, in fuel and tire wear alone.
    Sounds like the Micra may be a good option for you! At the time of my purchase, I was considering used cars like the Mazda 2, Toyota Yaris, or Honda Fit. A new Nissan Versa or Chevy Spark could have been options, but I wasn't drawn to them much. A Micra in 5 speed manual for $10,000 may be a good option to consider. I wish we had more small car options here, but the recent auto trend is headed in the other direction.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-03-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you feel that strongly against the Mirage why would you consider buying a new one ? Go for the Micra, did you get a chance to drive your Mom's Micra for a bit ? The one Nissan I had was the Sentra with the QG18DE, known head gasket issues and mine was no different, had an internal leak after the original was replaced, I'm unsure if it was a terrible gasket design, one would think if it were the deck they would've planed it level. Does the Micra have any well known issues ? I thought they had engine knock problems a while back, I don't know if that was resolved (one would hope so).
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I am doing things somewhat backwards in my response. I apologize for that. I looked up the Micra as listed in Canada. It seems to be a nice car, especially for a list price of $10,488. It comes in 5 speed manual or 4-speed automatic. Nissan's 4-speed automatic transmission may be more durable than the CVT used in many U.S. cars. Nissan's CVT transmissions have a bad reputation here, and probably deserved. I wouldn't think the mpg would be much different than the 5-speed manual, however.

I wish the Micra was an option here. I don't like how Mitsubishi lists the Mirage relatively high for what it is, and then offers huge discounts. I like my Mirage a lot, but I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for one (new or used). The fact the Micra lists @ $10,488 is great!

Your original question may be served better on a Micra forum, & I understand your interest in it. It looks like a nice package. Good luck!