Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torn between a new Mirage, versus a Micra or used Jetta TDI.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn’t own anything with a CVT.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Mirage, Pros: Cheap, fuel efficient
    Mirage, Cons: Too slow for roads here, need CVT for best highway mileage

Micra, Pros: Same price as Mirage, way better equipped, way the heck more power
    Micra, Cons: Slightly less than ideal fuel economy, Nissan reliability problems

Thoughts? (Please note vehicles have a 8-10 year lifespan here max, no suggestions of Metros or Sprints or older cars. None exist)
    My Mirage lives in Ontario, not BC, but gas prices here are expensive like anywhere in Canada. So you pay what 600 a month in gas? I pay like 90 a month for my commute w my Mirage, which is only 25 kms each way but still.

Get a 5 speed Mirage that will give you more pick up. If you can't drive a stick I wouldn't bother with small cars personally. Jeeps aren't that much faster, if at all, than the Mirage. it's like 10x the weight shed off. Another thing is Mirage you do feel very small on the road but I drive it on the 401, carefully.

Get a red one or a bright green one makes it stand out more on the freeways, mine is charcoal grey so it blends in with everything.

Gave you my honest if blunt opinion. I Like my Mirage but you should drive it and the Nisssan and compare, I did not have Micra as an option back in spring 14 when I bought my Mirage. Def go stick with either might as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Our mirage has no AC, no cruise, those all push a Mirage well above $14,000 here up from $11000, the tires are too small for the potholes here, it doesnt defrost properly, it doesnt warm up enough, doesnt have enough suspension travel, it's all around a turf of a country car. That's where the Micra comes in. The Micra also has a tall 5th gear with the 5spd, whereas the Mirage is pulling 4000rpm torching fuel on our highways.

I could explain more but it's basically the equivalent of driving a shopping cart on a gravel road. It's not a New Brunswick car at all.

Lots of very short merge lanes, lots of aggressive drivers means where most cars can punch it to match speed, me and the Mirage cant do it, have to stop, then get royally screwed over trying to merge onto a 130kmh highway from a dead stop.
    Sorry to hear your mirage is defective with no options. If you had a new one with those basic options and without your defects you might like the car alot more.

I've driven mine in temps of -28F and -50 windchill now and the heat was fine and windows clear.

Even considering a VW of modern age would NEVER be an option for me personally.

I haven't owned a small car in 15 years or so. After driving a bunch of Mirage's around this winter I personally wouldn't want one for a daily driver. They are pretty reliable but it is what it is, cheap basic transportation. I haven't driven any other cars to compare except for a 14' spark and from what I recall it had more power and was slightly more comfortable but had awkward rear 1/4 visibility.

Myself, I usually tend to buy the cheapest thing that'll do the job(within reason), but I'm not interested in sacrificing comfort and power to save $50/month on fuel. But I'm very unpractical/immature, I drove a 8000lb dually as a daily commuter for about a year and a half(but managed to get better economy than your jeep). Right now I'm driving the gf's 15' optima and if you factor in the extra insurance cost and the fuel savings I'm really only saving about $125/month over driving my truck. Maybe a bit more now that gas is cheaper than diesel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't owned a small car in 15 years or so. After driving a bunch of Mirage's around this winter I personally wouldn't want one for a daily driver. They are pretty reliable but it is what it is, cheap basic transportation. I haven't driven any other cars to compare except for a 14' spark and from what I recall it had more power and was slightly more comfortable but had awkward rear 1/4 visibility.

Myself, I usually tend to buy the cheapest thing that'll do the job(within reason), but I'm not interested in sacrificing comfort and power to save $50/month on fuel. But I'm very unpractical/immature, I drove a 8000lb dually as a daily commuter for about a year and a half(but managed to get better economy than your jeep). Right now I'm driving the gf's 15' optima and if you factor in the extra insurance cost and the fuel savings I'm really only saving about $125/month over driving my truck. Maybe a bit more now that gas is cheaper than diesel.
    You drive only cvts though. I didnt care for the mirage much with a cvt but the manual was night and day better. Especially with more options in the se.

And 125/mo is HUGE. That's like a cell phone bill and gym membership for instance

That's very true. And just today I was reminded at the noticeable difference between the 15's and 17's in ride and drivability.
    $125 does add up, that's a like 5- 15 packs of cheap beer! But gas is one of our lowest expenses with childcare coming in 2nd place @ $2000/month with mortgage slightly higher.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The older TDI's were great late 90's early to mid 2000's. Between diesel gate and some issues with newer tdi's I'd stay away. I'll put it the way a good mechanic stated. Purchase the newest, most simplistic motor, with the goodies you need if you plan to keep the vehicle a long time. What he means he's asked about the new smaller ford turbos in the f150 to the traditional big block v8 since mileage is not much different he suggests going with the simple motor.

If you were to lease or buy something to enjoy that you know you are going to get rid off sky's the limit if you plan to keep til the wheels fall off or economics is an issue newest and simplest.

The nissan or mitsu for the first few years should be trouble free the TDI i'd have some funds aside in case.
    Last edited by DottandDolores; 02-05-2019 at 08:03 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DottandDolores For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Amen. I drive about 200 miles a day. Yesterday was a 350 mile day, today was a 300 mile day, and tomorrow will probably be another 350 mile day.

These cars are cheaply built and uncomfortable, but they sure are reliable and get good on gas. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a full size car in a year or so, but I just can't kill this car. I've got about 235k miles on the thing and I'm still on the original clutch. The car ain't much but its cheap and dependable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-05-2019)

You're catching up! Our highest isn't racking up the miles like it used to it's close to 399000kms/248000miles right now. And started right up in -32c/-25f not plugged in this morning.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My Mirage lives in Ontario, not BC, but gas prices here are expensive like anywhere in Canada. So you pay what 600 a month in gas? I pay like 90 a month for my commute w my Mirage, which is only 25 kms each way but still.

Get a 5 speed Mirage that will give you more pick up. If you can't drive a stick I wouldn't bother with small cars personally. Jeeps aren't that much faster, if at all, than the Mirage. it's like 10x the weight shed off. Another thing is Mirage you do feel very small on the road but I drive it on the 401, carefully.

Get a red one or a bright green one makes it stand out more on the freeways, mine is charcoal grey so it blends in with everything.

Gave you my honest if blunt opinion. I Like my Mirage but you should drive it and the Nisssan and compare, I did not have Micra as an option back in spring 14 when I bought my Mirage. Def go stick with either might as well.
    No, my 80hp 5speed Mirage doesnt hold a candle to a 300hp Jeep. Not even close. The mirage is hitting 100kmh at the same time the Jeep hits 100mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)