Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torn between a new Mirage, versus a Micra or used Jetta TDI.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    You drive only cvts though. I didnt care for the mirage much with a cvt but the manual was night and day better. Especially with more options in the se.
    Even though the manual is not offered in the upper trim levels (LE, SE, GT), the 2019 ES (manual) has evolved into a nice package. Back up camera, bluetooth, six-way adjustable driver's seat, & cruise are all standard now. These were not found as standard equipment on the ES when the SE manual was offered in 2017. I would much rather have the manual temperature controls found on the ES & LE, too!

The 2019 ES manual is a nice package now even though it still lacks alloy wheels. Personally, I would take manual transmission over alloy wheels any day. Much easier/cheaper to upgrade wheels than change out the transmission on any car.

I think the 5 speed manual is a hoot to drive. I am not a small guy, & I don't find the Mirage uncomfortable at all. I've never sat in the back seats, but the front seats seem perfectly fine to me. I really wouldn't change anything about them.

Last edited by Mark; 02-06-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    you guys don't have the 110hp $10k Micra as an option.

Didn't realize that nobody here can really even weigh in on my oddball situation.
    I can - I've driven a bunch of Micras, all trims, both transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Mirage, Cons: Too slow for roads here, need CVT for best highway mileage
    Funny: there are lots of Mirages in New Brunswick (relatively speaking). They come up often in my used Mirage searches.

"need CVT for best highway mileage" - Common misconception based on the EPA ratings handicapping the 5-speed. In the hands of an intelligent driver, the manual beats the CVT in real world fuel economy, even counting for highway use. And the car has a very different character going from auto to manual.

What do you want to know about the Micra?

I can tell you:

- It's more fun. Lots more power. Suspension is much better sorted, with a lot less body roll (standard f/r stabilizer bars - Canada was the only market to get this). 15" standard tires. Steering feel is much more "normal", despite having electric assist like the Mirage's.

- Mirage's softer suspension soaks up rough roads better. (Maybe get a set of 15's for your Mirage??) I don't think the Micra has significantly more suspension travel, but I haven't rallied either car.

- Micra owners complain about the short gearing of the 5-spd manual. Not sure where you're getting info that 5th is tall. 1st gear is practically unnecessary, and it's quite rev-happy at highway speeds.

- The Micra had some major engine reliability issues, from brand new. I haven't heard of any recently, but some early owners had bearing issues. Some got warranty replacements, others were denied and have rod knock. On the other hand, some higher miles/kms Mirage owners are having CVT issues. On the other hand, the Mirage's powertrain warranty is 10 years/160k vs. 5/100 for Nissan. The Micra's 4-speed slushbox is ancient technology -- dead reliable, but it eats gas.

- Anecdotally (forum chatter), I'd say the Micra has more minor reliability problems than the Mirage.

Related threads:

Thread: Micra or Mirage... can't decide

Thread: I've got a 2015 Nissan Micra 1.6 for a week. Anything you want to know about it?

Thread: Jalopnik Nissan Micra vs Mitsubishi Mirage

Thread: Mirage vs. Spark vs Micra: cheap car overview (Toronto Star Wheels)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-07-2019),Eggman (02-06-2019),Fummins (02-06-2019),Top_Fuel (02-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

bought a Micra

Pulled the trigger today. Done deal.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Will get some pictures up later. Going to be in financing for a few days, guess a couple of their systems are down. I'll post a photo once its official, possibly early next week.

New thread:
    Thread: 2018 Micra (in gray) joining our 2018 Mirage (in identical gray)

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-08-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: (Copied post from other thread)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

I didn't realize the Nissan warranty was only 5 years/100k km with a few exceptions that are 5year/160k kms. I see they come with 4speed automatics not cvt. I was comparing some of the Nissan's(just online) and the Kicks is seeming like a potential replacement for the Mirage. My only worry is the Kicks's comes with a cvt and I'm not a huge fan of those anymore. They are more efficient than a regular slushbox but not as reliable as a 5 speed. Unfortunately it seems a lot of people I see daily either can't or don't want to drive a 5 speed or if they can they suck at it. So buying an idiot proof cvt/automatic seems easier and more cost effective than finding people that can properly drive a standard.

Anyways....I was just looking on Nissan's site for a Mirage alternative/replacement with the a few basic minimum options: automatics/cvt, air conditioning and power door locks/keyless entry. And want it to be white.

To get that in a Mirage you have to get the es plus cvt model with a cash price of $17902 then tack on another $300 cause we want white and it's now $18202. 6.6c/6.2h l/100k

With the Micra, in order to get power door locks and the other option we want you have to get the SV model which comes with an automatic transmission(not cvt) which ends up at $17374 8.9c/6.8hwy l/100k

The Versa Note comes with standard ac but again you need to upgrade to the SV model to get power door locks and they charge extra for white paint which comes to $19,974 cash price. They claim the Versa gets better fuel economy than the micra. 7.6city/6.2hwy l/100km

The base model Kicks comes fairly well equipped as a base model with cvt, keyless entry, air conditioning. Cruise is standard as well as 16" wheels that I would hope would last longer than 14" and not get bent by potholes as easily. And it appears to have more interior room, but I haven't looked at those specs yet. The online price is $19,919 The Kicks shows as having better fuel economy than the Micra as well.
    7.7c/6.6hwy l/100kms.

The Micra and Mirage both have low starting prices and seem like great deals til you start adding up options they start to get pricey and it seems like there might be nicer alternatives for the close to the same cost. I may be wrong but I think if you want the best fuel economy and warranty in a non hybrid you're gonna have to stick with a Mirage.

Edit:
    It took me so long to write this post that you already bought a car!
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-07-2019 at 09:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-08-2019),MetroMPG (02-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    the Kicks is seeming like a potential replacement for the Mirage
    You mean as delivery vehicles?

To get that in a Mirage you have to get the es plus cvt model with a cash price of $17902 then tack on another $300 cause we want white and it's now $18202.
    Have you been in touch with Mitsubishi fleet sales?

They claim the Versa gets better fuel economy than the micra. 7.6city/6.2hwy l/100km
    The Kicks shows as having better fuel economy than the Micra as well.
    Yep - that's the CVT advantage. And the Versa has exactly the same engine/mechanicals as the Micra, except for the auto trans. The Kicks has a slightly modified version of the same HR16DE engine (with a bit more hp), also riding on a modified version of the Micra/Versa platform.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Yeah for delivery, I don’t do any buying but they deal with someone in the fleet department.

I’m not a huge Nissan fan at the moment, got a 18 nv200 sitting at the dealer with a cracked transmission cooler and blown cvt. No warranty cause it was run dry and they want $9k to fix it. Said it looked like a rock hit the cooler so we’re sol. The external auxiliary cvt cooler must be in a pretty stupid place, and made of tin foil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

And not a lot of NV200's in the junkyards to pull parts from

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah for delivery, I don’t do any buying but they deal with someone in the fleet department.

I’m not a huge Nissan fan at the moment, got a 18 nv200 sitting at the dealer with a cracked transmission cooler and blown cvt. No warranty cause it was run dry and they want $9k to fix it. Said it looked like a rock hit the cooler so we’re sol. The external auxiliary cvt cooler must be in a pretty stupid place, and made of tin foil.
    Wouldn't your company auto insurance cover that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Wouldn't your company auto insurance cover that?
    Never considered that, I know they'll usually cover hitting an animal even if you don't have collision without rates going up but I don't know about a rock.
    I'm sure the vehicle insurance is high already, if we made a claim every chance we get,insurance would be too costly. Sometimes it's cheaper to just pay to fix stuff rather than involve insurance companies depending on who's at fault of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And not a lot of NV200's in the junkyards to pull parts from
    You're right. There was one transmission in Canada!