Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Will factory battery last > 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Good thing you bought that parts car!

I have 4 roadworthy cars and 2 good batteries between them.
    Parts car? I've been driving the new old car everyday since last week. The white car is sitting in the driveway now with bald tires, dead battery, no license plate. I even took the insurance off it. Things are kinda ass backwards.

I have 4 road worthish vehicles too. Black car and wifes kia have good batteries. My truck, they're probably dead and frozen by now. I kinda forgot to pull the batteries after I moved it last.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Parts car? I've been driving the new old car everyday since last week. The white car is sitting in the driveway now with bald tires, dead battery, no license plate. I even took the insurance off it. Things are kinda ass backwards.

I have 4 road worthish vehicles too. Black car and wifes kia have good batteries. My truck, they're probably dead and frozen by now. I kinda forgot to pull the batteries after I moved it last.
    I've always owned a battery charger or two, but I also invested in a couple trickle chargers more recently.

I find myself using them all the time now. They have been on my compact 4WD diesel tractor, riding lawn mower, two ATVs, UTV, Forester, & my Mirage. If my Forester sits for a time, I will put the trickle charger on it. Same with some of the other stuff with older batteries.

I can kick start both of my ATVs, but sometimes having the trickle charger on them is all it takes for a quick easy electric start. The oil is bit thick in them, too. Thus, an extra boost of electricity on the starter helps to turn them over better at times.

I carry jumper cables in both of my vehicle so I will never have to use them. If I would leave the jumper cables at home tomorrow, I would be stranded & need them for sure. That's how life works for me at least!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Two of my 15's have replacement batteries, one of them still has the original and now that it's cold out here sometimes it cranks over kind of slow.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Wait what? Your driving Tylerwin's old black Mirage with 175k miles on it and a failing cvt instead of the other one with a loud engine? What gives? Have you been able to reproduce the cvt overheating issues Tylerwin was complaining about before he sold it to you?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Wait what? Your driving Tylerwin's old black Mirage with 175k miles on it and a failing cvt instead of the other one with a loud engine? What gives? Have you been able to reproduce the cvt overheating issues Tylerwin was complaining about before he sold it to you?
    Fummins posted his local temperature recently. -15 to -35F would make overheating anything a challenge probably.

Well, the white car didn't start today.....battery didn't have enough juice to turn it over.
    Mine almost didn't start 2 days ago @-20 (-4F): RRR... rrrr... pause... rrr... RRR... vroom!

I think it's the original battery, but would have to find a date code to confirm. Combination of cold + not driving the car enough.

It's definitely been abused - I'm sure it was left discharged for much of the time it sat out behind the Dodge dealer for almost a year.

But I put the trickle charger on it for a day, and it seemed to come back. Starter made happier noises when I drove it yesterday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Mine almost didn't start 2 days ago @-20 (-4F): RRR... rrrr... pause... rrr... RRR... vroom!

I think it's the original battery, but would have to find a date code to confirm. Combination of cold + not driving the car enough.

It's definitely been abused - I'm sure it was left discharged for much of the time it sat out behind the Dodge dealer for almost a year.

But I put the trickle charger on it for a day, and it seemed to come back. Starter made happier noises when I drove it yesterday.
    I'm sure car batteries have been flying off the shelves in Wisconsin lately. It had been brutally cold.

I've been impressed with the factory 356CCA battery during this recent cold spell. My Mirage was built January of 2017. Thus, it's 4-years old. On a few of the mornings when I knew I needed to take off in the morning, I used my engine block heater for 1.5-2 hours. That may help some?

I've been moving my trickle chargers around quite a bit lately. My Forester will sit for longer periods of time, & it gets one. My UTV & ATV take turns getting the other one. I haven't used one on my Mirage this winter, but I have been racking up the miles on it lately.

I probably just jinxed myself (like Fummins) by saying my Mirage battery has been doing well in the extreme cold lately.