Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: any idea why my 2015 mirage (only 53k miles) keeps dying on the road?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Once the engine is running, I wouldn't expect a low battery on a pushbutton start transponder key to cause the engine to quit running.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

This is interesting:

sudden rpm spike from 1500-3000 while doing about 30mph, and 15 seconds later i was at the stoplight where it just cut out.
    Neither the fuel issue or loose battery connection would explain that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can push button start the car and leave it running and take the key with you and someone could drive the car away. I've had a discussion with a pal about this and proved it to him awhile back. Changing the battery wouldn't hurt but should under no circumstance cause the car to shut off if it's dead.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    An intermittent problem like this is really tough to pin down in a dealership environment. Why? Because if your warranty is covering this, the technician isn't going to get paid to spend hours on your car trying to run down a problem he can't duplicate. If he's lucky, he might get paid 30 minutes of labor time to check out your car. And warranty time pays less than standard "customer pay" jobs. So the tech is incentivized to "take a shot at it" and then get on to the next paying job so he can actually make money that day. That's what you've been experiencing so far. If he can't duplicate your concern, it's a challenge. The dealership service department is not well-suited for this kind of repair, unfortunately.

You're going to need some patience with this. The more specifics you give them the more it will help them. For example, the fact that your car won't crank immediately when the engine dies is a big deal. If you see any odd lights on your dash or anything unusual...that would also be helpful to them. If you know how to use a DVOM, checking a couple of voltages the next time it happens would also be helpful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would familiarize myself with Arizona's lemon law, perhaps ask the dealership what they think about it next time you are there. I would also start the car then remove both battery cables one at a time to see what happens. Loose battery cables sounds like a very low energy excuse.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    this afternoon was the 4th call to Mitsubishi roadside assistance for an emergency tow back to the dealer.
    today was sunday so the service dept is closed but i will be calling at 8am. at this point i am ready to contact the consumer advocate segment at the local tv station.

i sent a message to mitsubishi usa through facebook

"hi,

We are wondering if you could help us regarding a 2015 Mitsubishi USA mirage (still under the factory warranty) that first broke down January 10th on the 101 freeway in Tempe. Normally we get it serviced at Big Two Mitsubishi in mesa, but because of the location of the breakdown, we had it towed to Mark Mitsubishi Scottsdale. Their diagnosis was that it was a gallon low on coolant (even thought big-two had topped it off during the last service 4.5 months earlier),, they sold me a coolant flush job and sent me on my way home (53477 miles),,,,

Hours later it broke down while Kathy was driving it. I drove out to meet her and I attempted to drive it to Big-two (about 5 miles away from her work) while she drove my honda. The car broke down 2 more times within a few blocks and we had to call for a 2nd tow. Big two's 'diagnosis' after charging me for 3 hours diagnostic work was that a battery terminal was loose, and they sent me on my way home (53512 miles).. She was on a business trip in Cali until the 26th so the car was in the garage most of the time for the next week.

Then jan 29th she was driving it, and it once again shuddered and just died on the road a mile and a half from our home. She was eventually able to get it restarted and made it back to our house. We called mitsubishi roadside assistance to have it towed from our house to Big-Two. This time their diagnosis was that the "other" battery terminal was loose. They said they test drove it 56 miles during the three days they had it there and had no problems and then sent it home with me with no charge this time (53662 miles).

Since then she has been too afraid to drive it, but luckily i work from home, so i just let her borrow my honda all week. This afternoon she needed to visit her friend in Scottsdale so i let her take the honda. While i was on my way home from running errands in the mirage this afternoon, it shuddered and the rpms jumped as i was approaching a stoplight to make a left turn. It then died on me while waiting in that turn lane at power and main in mesa. i was able to restart it a minute later (after holding up the entire light) but then it died AGAIN before our next green turn arrow, and i held up traffic for yet another light. Eventually i was able to get it started and into the parking lot of a restaurant on the corner where were called mitsubishi roadside assistance to send tow truck #4.

There is obviously something majorly wrong with this car, yet mitsubishi keeps sending us back home with an unsafe vehicle that continues to just die in the middle of traffic, and telling us it was some simple repair. Had we been traveling on the freeway it could have caused a serious accident. Mitsubishi keeps insisting that the engine is not throwing any error codes, but we're really beginning to doubt whether their mechanics have any diagnostic intuition other than being able to read a number off of a computer. After 4 breakdowns in only a few hundred miles, we are at our wit's end with this car. I have the mechanic Kyle Franklin at big two on video stating to his service manager Matt Acosta that he thinks there is some sort of internal engine failure, and that they need to call mitsubishi HQ to get authorization to tear the engine apart to find the problem. Yet that never happened and both times they just came up with a battery terminal excuse"

attached is the service write-up after the 3rd tow,, "We tryed to are best abilities"
    i wouldn't trust these techs to tutor 2nd grade english.
    Bad throttle actuator?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I wonder if the rpm actually spikes or if the tach needle just bounces around. The one car I just fixed had the tach bounce all over the place but it had way more symptoms but it only started with one airbag light then multiplied into more lights and problems very quickly.
    I think I remember someone on this forum having problems with the plug at the throttle body after getting body work done?

The dealership service department HAS to have a portable scan tool for drivability issues. Hook it up, have the PDI or oil change kid, heck, even a service writer, drive it a few times a day until it acts up and throws some codes/data. Then it at least gives the driveability tech somewhere to start, without costing him diagnosing time, which we know flat rate shops hate to pay for. These places have no clue the PR damage stuff like this causes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I would also start the car then remove both battery cables one at a time to see what happens.
    Please do NOT do this

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-05-2019),poorman1 (04-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    hi guys,,
    it is just stock DE w/cvt & traditional key. my girlfriend's commuter car. the battery was new last summer.

mitsubishi still has the car this afternoon, they say they have replaced relay switches and are test driving it.. but we have a tmobile wifi spot plugged in under the dash, and i saw the same low battery warning that i would get right before it would stall out on me. When i informed him of this, his response was "oh that was probably when he unplugged it", and i replied, "no,, he unplugged it 5 minutes later,, i get a separate notification for that",, and his response "well that's not an official diagnostic reader" (yet it sure as hell was right every time the engine crapped out on me)

https://youtu.be/g7Z6RKYexnY <<engine cutting out 30 seconds after starting (this was while waiting for tow)
    https://youtu.be/BeRTLlOeebk <<big two mechanic couldn't start it
    https://youtu.be/mgBO-YdSdq8 <<big two mechanic telling his service advisor that they need to tear the engine apart and likely catastrophic engine failure... yet that never happened

their service advisor said "well you could always trade it in",, monkeys are more likely to fly out of my butt than buying another mitsubishi from their dealership. however big-two also owns a toyota dealership 15 miles over and i wouldn't rule out a rav hybrid when the 19s are in.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

11. The Following User Says Thank You to longhairmike For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    ... saw the same low battery warning that i would get right before it would stall out on me.
    That video is very helpful. Your car is dying immediately like someone cut the ignition. The engine isn't sputtering and shutting off...it's cutting off very suddenly. That makes one think that it is electrical in nature.

You said you get a low battery warning right before this happens? I'm not sure what low battery warning you are referring to. Edit - OK...I see what you are saying. This is coming from some device you have plugged into your OBDII port?

I'm having trouble keeping track of where you are at with this thing RIGHT NOW. Based on the videos you posted, this car is currently at a dealer and the engine won't even turn over even though the starter seems to be engaging? In other words, the engine is now acting like it's locked up. Is that right?

I have to tell you...the idea that a dealer reported that this car was a GALLON low on coolant is somewhat alarming. A gallon is 95% of the coolant capacity of the engine...

Name:  capacities.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  69.7 KB

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-05-2019 at 06:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-04-2021)